+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New necros lvl 50 using tank pet - read plz helpful info

Default New necros lvl 50 using tank pet - read plz helpful info

Ok so theres apparently a lot of new flavor of the month necrolocks, or mages just trying it out, or whatever.

I've seen many mages running around farming and doing various things with their skeletal knight out. You really dont need to use the tank pet. It's not like elementalist. The skeletal zealot is what you should be using. If you're worried about dying any respectable necro / lock spec *38/28, 35/31, 33/33* has plenty of things to keep you alive. You have soul purge, draining bolt, neddras essence, shadow life, mortality, not to mention a potion, the rift things that heal you for 1100, and even feign death if it gets really bad.

So you're using skeletal zealot and the mob goes to attack you, no problem! because even if you're squishy put essence link on the mob, necrosis, and your typical rotation, then soul purge and you should stay at full life while doing high dps.

Then I saw someone trying to get a high dps parse using a tank pet... Ok I'm hoping its just comparing to zealot parse... but who knows.

The only time you really need to use a tank pet for farming is if you're doing major 50 rifts and theres 3 or more elites. Then you can send your tank pet in first, then grab 2 off of him, essence link his target, and kill his target first while drain-tanking the 2 on you, then switch him to one on you, and so on and so forth. Other than that you really dont need it.

If you're an experienced necrolock in game and notice the following:
    - Tank pet while farming
    - Grave rot being thrown off in the middle of nowhere
    - Parsing with a tank pet.....
    - Necro using zealot and dying
    - Plague bolt spamming
    Try to be friendly and help them. Odds are they'll rage on you anyway because they're 'pro' and you're an 'elitist prick', but still try! You cant give up hope it's all we mages have left.

I wish i could add some tips but i have to go to work.. maybe i'll update this later on with some pretty sweet tricks of necrolock. If anyone else would like to explain how to handle 4+ elites same level, 10+ mobs at once with devouring trick and neddras, etc. by all means feel free.

Shadowlander

Or you could just leave them alone, since you're wrong and it's more efficient sometimes (or just less effort/clicks, depending on mood~)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Vheress View Post
    Or you could just leave them alone, since you're wrong and it's more efficient sometimes (or just less effort/clicks, depending on mood~)
    I agree there is no "wrong"way to solo. Whatever works. Thats the beauty of solo.

I think the OP is just trying to say its more "optimal" to use the Zealot. Some people love to min max, its whats fun for them and they just cannot stop doing it. Rift seems to be some sort of nirvana for them.

Anyway I would take it in the spirit of being helpful. Seems to be how it was meant.

That knight doesnt tank for beans anyway. Try the zealot, the only real difference is it doesnt taunt and as the OP says you can tank quite a lot as necro.

Cheers

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Vheress View Post
    It is absolutely not more efficient to use the tank pet.

I press two buttons per mob, three if I'm chain pulling. The Zealot is massively better than the tank skeleton.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    It is absolutely not more efficient to use the tank pet.

I press two buttons per mob, three if I'm chain pulling. The Zealot is massively better than the tank skeleton.
    Agreed. There seems to be no use for the Knight. But if someone likes it for solo, meh.

Maybe they dont know, so if they come to the boards and see this and change, great. But I am not following them around Stillmoor correcting the error of their ways.

Now if they whip a Knight out in a group I probably would mention it until the Knight went away.

If I saw them wailing away on a combat dummy with a Knight out, I would probably toss them a friendly tell suggesting the Zealot.

I suppose one could even solo with the caster pet. Maybe for some RP reason =P

Telaran

I agree you probably don't need to use the tank pet in dungeon's or raids, but solo running around the zones....the tank will grab and maintain agro better. There are times to use the tank pet regardless of what the OP thinks. He has his style of play....others have theirs.
    Lvl 50 Necro
    Shard: Gnarlwood
    Guild: Apocalypse

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Paytheon View Post
    I agree you probably don't need to use the tank pet in dungeon's or raids, but solo running around the zones....the tank will grab and maintain agro better. There are times to use the tank pet regardless of what the OP thinks. He has his style of play....others have theirs.
    It could maintain aggro, or the mob could already be dead if you were using the right pet. Seriously, unless you're soloing multiple elites, the tank pet is worthless.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Paytheon View Post
    I agree and as far as I'm concerned, the Zealot is a worthless twit outside of a group. I'll stick with the Knight for soloing elites.
    Last edited by Bluejaye; 06-29-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Soulwalker

I had the wrong pet out as i just respected and wasnt looking. Do you really need to make a thread to make yourself feel cool? Its a video game.......

Rift Disciple

well considering for questing i use necro lock split and aoe. tank pet is 10 times better.
    i can pull 10 mobs with him and aoe them all down in the time it takes u to kill 3 mobs.

aoe is just so strong in this game.

When solo, I always keep my tank pet out in case I need to solo elites. But thanks for the advice anyway.

And the point of this thread is?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    It could maintain aggro, or the mob could already be dead if you were using the right pet. Seriously, unless you're soloing multiple elites, the tank pet is worthless.
    Who said "tanking multiple elite" mobs? Apparently reading comprehension is a problem for you.
    Lvl 50 Necro
    Shard: Gnarlwood
    Guild: Apocalypse

While the zealot does a more damage, the knight isn't to be underestimated. They hit hella hard, my highest crit with the knight was ~700. Both work great and both hit a lot harder than the ele pets.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    When solo, I always keep my tank pet out in case I need to solo elites. But thanks for the advice anyway.
    Pretty much this lol, The tank a Zealot(rogue) pet are used to 2 different things and should not be compared in the same respect at all. You whole basis is "more dps" well no dip the Rogue will do more dps then a tank but it wont hold hate and if it does it will die fast. I dont PVE much but what i use necro for is soloing elites for notoriety in stillmore; or solo that pack of mobs that roams, As far as pvp I can solo the church boss in Port scion with the tank pet, the Hero (if called) both Planar tower protectors and even effectively tank the main boss If the team decides to go boss kill method.

~Personally for pve if you looking for dps I wouldnt go necro, but thats just me not saying its right or wrong just not my cup of tea. Maybe in raid but i dont raid so cant speak on that. And like what was said earlier it could be easier for them, personally For some of the quest where it has you kill "X" mob i can put my character in the middle of where those mobs path or spawn ,go afk and my tank pet will kill them for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast