+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inventory of Mage Useless Skills.. Post here

Plane Touched

Default Inventory of Mage Useless Skills.. Post here

Hi all,

Well I play as a mage and I think some of the following skills are useless and they have to improved to make it worth while. I am rank 4 and 900sp unbuff..
    Start with:

Haunting Pain: 2 seconds cast time and does around 50-100 damage per tick.. Damage also depends on the person you cast this spell on..
    Pretty much useless...

Any other to spell to join this inventory?
    No doubt there will be more..

Because no other class has useless skills? Cleric random teleport? Really, WTF is that?
    Shut your pie hole!!!

-All 'Track' abilities except the Humanoid one. They should add 2-3% more damage to the tracked mobs in PvE.

Necro:
    • Blood Binding doesn't heal as nearly as it should for it's cost
    • Snare portion of Death's Grasp
    • Corpse Explosion suffers from a flawed mechanic. It should explode the corpse closest to your target to be efficient as of right now, it's so conditional it might never proc if you face a semi-invincible Cleric
    • Mass Grave. I read it was terrible for a 51 point ability and doesn't justify the point investment.
    • Detonate Bones. If your pet dies, you're doing something wrong.

Elementalist:
    • Ignite, to an extent. Doesn't do enough damage, but not at all.
    • Encase
    • Fiery Assault is supposed to punish melee players, but the channeled portion makes it suffer
    • Sacrifice, to an extent. You lose so much for killing your pet that this skill should heal you for much more than 25% of your health.
    • Exposure isn't nearly as good (or long, rather) as other debuffs of the same kind.
    • All in all Elementalists do not do enough damage and poorly fill their role as a DPS class. The only things going for it are Tempest, Elemental Link, Ice Shield and Lightning Strike.

Chloromancer:
    • Natural Healing, to an extent. It suffers from it's very long cast time and availability.
    • Stream of Reclamation. It's used for it's little DPS, not for it's effects. Possible fix would be to drastically increase the Radiant Spores proc rate, as of right now you lose precious healing time while channeling it.

Archon:
    • Purification needs to have it's cast time removed since it only removes curses.
    • Lava Field's healing buff portion is being triggered by overheals and reparation-type heals that are < 100 points. The charges are wasted very quickly and aren't used for efficient/timely healing.

Dominator:
    • Haunting Pain does very poor damage for it's casting time and the damage can even be reduced. This skill is probably the most useless one in all the Mage Souls, unfortunately, as it would work well with Storm Shackle otherwise.

Archmage:
    • Silent Restoration. It's a poor defensive ability and should make you recover HP or Charge instead (or anything else than Mana).

Stormcaller:
    • Spark of Life. This skill by itself makes it so that investing more than 32-34 points in the Stormcaller tree a considerable waste of damage and utility. The cooldown should be reduced drastically and it needs to heal for more than 30% Health/Mana
    • Static Barrier is useless due to how movement Diminishing Returns currently work.

Pyromancer:
    • Withered Flames, again. Charge is always better used than for an ability that doesn't do enough damage overall. Maybe in PvE it's ok, but for PvP purposes it's always better to use Internalize Chage. Perhaps a fix for this skill would be to make it consume 5 charge per stack instead of 10.
    • Flame Jet is supposed to punish players in Melee, but ranged abilities do more damage in general (even Flame Bolt).

All IMO. That's it for now.

Plane Touched

Thats a good list Andalamar.. Keep it coming.. Flame jet and withered flames indeed does less damage.. They definitely need some boost.

Stormcaller 44 point spell Spark of life is useless with that sort of cooldown.. I wonder why SC have this skill, shouldn' it belong to chloro?. Maybe trion messed up..
    Last edited by killthedesires; 06-29-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by killthedesires View Post
    Thats a good list Andalamar.. Keep it coming.. Flame jet and withered flames indeed does less damage.. They definitely need some boost.

Stormcaller 44 point spell Spark of life is useless with that sort of cooldown.. I wonder why SC have this skill, shouldn' it belong to chloro?. Maybe trion messed up..
    Spark of Life is a combat rez on a non-healer, that is why it has such a long cooldown. If you ever raid you'll realize how useful combat rezzes are even on long cooldowns.

Chloro also has a combat rez, its actually the fastest cooldown combat rez in the game right now at 3 minutes. So Chloro really doesn't need Spark of Life.
    People use the words "casual" and "bad" interchangeably, when in reality we should not. A casual player in an mmo is someone who plays the game but due to outside events cannot play it for long periods of time. A bad is a player who stands in the fire, ignores boss mechanics, complains about the former, makes nonsensical statements, wants to be pandered to, and all around tanks most mmos.

Its like if I pay to take a college course that I know is supposed to be hard and instead of taking it, I complain and bother the professors that it is to hard. I dont study, I dont practice, I just complain. After all I am paying for the course so I should get an A+.

I have not see mmos go harder only easier. I dont think for a second that trion is "pandering to the casuals that ruin our games", no I think it is that trion is making mistakes and feels that the bads who play their game for 3 months and leave are worth more than those who play for the entirety of its life.

-Robertosaget

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by killthedesires View Post
    wonder why SC have this skill, shouldn' it belong to chloro?. Maybe trion messed up..
    Chloro does have a battle res skill, but if a healer dies he can't res himself. I realize nobody takes this skill but it's kind of cool that maybe one of the DPS classes in a 5 man group could prop the healer back up if he takes an unlucky burst.

Don't forget elemental forces!

...or most of the elementalist tree really >_>

Also stream is great, it just needs the spores bonus to apply to any chloros spores. Can be annoying at times :P
    Last edited by wallweasels; 06-29-2011 at 05:55 AM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andalamar View Post
    -All 'Track' abilities except the Humanoid one. They should add 2-3% more damage to the tracked mobs in PvE.[/LIST]
    Elementalist:
    • Sacrifice, to an extent. You lose so much for killing your pet that this skill should heal you for much more than 25% of your health.

Archon:
    • Purification needs to have it's cast time removed since it only removes curses.

Pyromancer:
    • Flame Jet is supposed to punish players in Melee, but ranged abilities do more damage in general (even Flame Bolt).

All IMO. That's it for now.
    You did a good job, but I'm nitpicky

- Sacrifice is fine in it's current form and one of the few decent PvP skills in Elementalist. It triggers Bloodthirsty so it's actually a 55% instant self heal on a 2 min cooldown which is nice and has saved me plenty of times. Losing the pet is no big deal because it's only really a heavy DoT and you can instant summon a replacement on a minute cooldown. I consider this skill on par with Shadow Life.

- Purification is able to be specced to purge debuffs. Spammable AoE purge doesn't need to be made instant.

- When Pyro I use flame jet as an objective interrupt, as a finisher over flame bolt/firestorm, it works fine as a 2 point skill and worth binding.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Dezyne View Post
    Chloro does have a battle res skill, but if a healer dies he can't res himself. I realize nobody takes this skill but it's kind of cool that maybe one of the DPS classes in a 5 man group could prop the healer back up if he takes an unlucky burst.
    either that or a healer could pop themselves up. A few MMOs had a way of having a healer cast a spell on themselves that allows for a self rez.
    Andoreniel - 50 Mage
    Specs
    Chloromancer/Warlock/Archon - Support/Heals
    SC/ELE/Archon - DPS

Rift Disciple

Haunting Pain? Useless? >_>
    As far as useless skills go, all classes have a myriad of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezkh View Post
    You did a good job, but I'm nitpicky

- Sacrifice is fine in it's current form and one of the few decent PvP skills in Elementalist. It triggers Bloodthirsty so it's actually a 55% instant self heal on a 2 min cooldown which is nice and has saved me plenty of times. Losing the pet is no big deal because it's only really a heavy DoT and you can instant summon a replacement on a minute cooldown. I consider this skill on par with Shadow Life.

- Purification is able to be specced to purge debuffs. Spammable AoE purge doesn't need to be made instant.

- When Pyro I use flame jet as an objective interrupt, as a finisher over flame bolt/firestorm, it works fine as a 2 point skill and worth binding.
    Well you sure taught me something. Sacrifice procs Blood Thirsty? Haha, that's awesome. Ok, I retract my statement (but Shadow Life remains 10 times better).

Here you are however confusing Purification with Cleansing Flames. Purification is the ST 2-curse cleanse while CF is the AoE decurse/purge. Needless to say CF is perfect in it's current form, but not Purification.

Not commenting about Flame Jet because usually when people get in Melee, I eat so much damage I don't really have time to use it. I prefer Flickering away in most situations.

EDIT: Might as well comment about the selection of Spark of Life in these skills. The main reason why it's useless is because you lose an absurd amount of DPS (as a DPS Soul) just to spec into a long CD, not that good combat resurrection. A 20-man raid usually has between 3-6 combat rezzes, sometimes even more than that due to Senticars having two. If your Raid needs even more combat rezzes so you need Stormcallers to do it, your raid is either seriously undergeared or plain stupid to continously die to stuff they shouldn't die to. Granted some bosses have some gimmick one-shots, but your regular combat rezzes should cover that without problems.
    Last edited by Andalamar; 06-29-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Plane Touched

I just noticed that Thunder Blast is useless skill aswell after certain CC.
    I tried it and it do no damage, because the target was immune..

Shadowlander

it's supposed to still at the very least interrupt vs immune (not as good as it sounds since it's a spell with travel time), but i thought that same fix made the damage work too :<

Telaran

Withering Flames. Make it immune to knockback and consume charge properly - i.e. not require 90 charge to get 5 stacks, when it only consumes 75.
    Currently if you take just 1 damage while casting withering flames, you lose over 2k damage.

Sword of Telara

Archon
    the whole Skill tree suxs bad, So i put the skills thats usefull

Strenght of Stone A+
    Leeching Flames B+
    Soul Fire A+
    rest is garbage and never sudden be released like this.

Archmage

Immovable Object?? why even bother?, first it consume charges, second there are like 20 of those skils already in the tree.

Etherreal shell
    ?? only 5 seconds with a cooldown of 15, wasted soul points next.

Concentation
    really can't figure out something usefull right?, only skill i know comming from a melee is thunderous kick.

Silent Restoration.
    sorry i must be to stupid to understand it's worthless use? people can't press a mana pot?

Nenvin's Lament
    3 min's cooldown, no need to say more.

Collateral Damage.
    25% chance, on 5 points/ and only 50% of the spell, not to even speak of the range of 5 meters.
    wasted soul points.
    Last edited by abisha; 06-30-2011 at 07:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread