+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dominator - split personality - bug ?

Rift Disciple

Default Dominator - split personality - bug ?

Split personality is probably not working as intended. Post 1.3, the summon pets are casting bolts that hit for 2k dmg on Raid 1 bosses. This increases the output damage of the mage to insane levels (up to 3k - 4k spike DPS). The resulting average DPS is about 1.2k - 1.6k on a single target (depending on stuff). By comparison, the pets summon by 'empty the crypts' hit for 250 dmg.

This can be achieved with a necro / dominator built (38 / 28) - it's a game play based on 3 buttons....

(And I"m playing a mage).

Plane Touched

Insane damage? LOL
    Try it in PVP, they only hit for 400-500 criticals..

Btw you must be lucky and buffed hard..

Its not a bug, it is as intended.. I wish they would hit for 10k...
    Last edited by killthedesires; 06-27-2011 at 10:10 PM.

Rift Master

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Champion

OP, you have it wrong, they fixed Split Personality. Prior, The Split Personalities 'void bolt' casts didn't scale with the Mages Spell Power, (unlike most other spells/powers/pets). now they do. And you have '3' pets casting Void Bolt @2s cast times.

To top that off, the only way to get higher damage, is to litterally have the Split Personalities litterally 'on top of' the boss/player, as Void Bolt has a 'travel time', and they don't start 'spamming' until one actually 'hits'.

Btw, SPlit Personality doesn't parse correctly (nor does rob the grave) on certain Parsers. (ACT most likely parses correctly, Xanadu and RJ don't) So if your using the one that doesn't, Its not the Split/Rob the Grave thats giving them that 'insane' dmg.

necro/dom is highly situational and very hard to work around in certain encounters because of how easy movements, and target switches or anything that interrupts the burst period mess it up plus it has a lack of aoes and so far is the only competitive mage dps spec at high levels pretty much. As far as I'm concerned if Trion is going to "fix" how split personaly scales with necro buffs and sp they better be willing to fix other specs in mage simultaneously, the nerf this patch was way more than expected and has put mage in a very difficult position.
    Last edited by Inixia; 06-27-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Ascendant

Why is it so offensive that a DPS cooldown should increase DPS, especially to a soul that has little to offer in a raid environment. I *adore* the fact that I can play a spec that has a good portion of Dominator in a raid. If only I could get up to 31 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    Why is it so offensive that a DPS cooldown should increase DPS, especially to a soul that has little to offer in a raid environment. I *adore* the fact that I can play a spec that has a good portion of Dominator in a raid. If only I could get up to 31 points.
    I think you could, actually. I've been fussing around with a stormcaller/dom build which could be very amusing on Alsbeth, where there's plenty of adds to wreak havoc on. Ditto Herald and Greenscale.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    OP, you have it wrong, they fixed Split Personality. Prior, The Split Personalities 'void bolt' casts didn't scale with the Mages Spell Power, (unlike most other spells/powers/pets). now they do.
    Are you sure? Tried it at dummy once with pvp-trinket+Lich up and once without. The dmg of the vb did not change.

Telaran

afaik pets only profit from stats(/int) from gear not buffs the caster has/gets

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeo99 View Post
    Are you sure? Tried it at dummy once with pvp-trinket+Lich up and once without. The dmg of the vb did not change.
    without lich form the vb hits for 1101 with lich they hit for 1501... That's what I'm seeing at least (talking criticals) and with full raid buffs they crit for around 2400-2500...

They're working as intended. It's funny though, they hit for more than my VB does.

1286 sp

786 crit

self buffed
    Taika
    50 Mage
    <Dominance>

Shadowlander

No. Not a bug. Only good viable pve domi skill (exept silence/reflect). Don't think it's owerpowered, it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Trimsic View Post
    Split personality is probably not working as intended. Post 1.3, the summon pets are casting bolts that hit for 2k dmg on Raid 1 bosses. This increases the output damage of the mage to insane levels (up to 3k - 4k spike DPS). The resulting average DPS is about 1.2k - 1.6k on a single target (depending on stuff). By comparison, the pets summon by 'empty the crypts' hit for 250 dmg.

This can be achieved with a necro / dominator built (38 / 28) - it's a game play based on 3 buttons....

(And I"m playing a mage).

wait...you do realize that this is the ONLY viable dps build atm, and yet youre still asking for a nerf?

also, presumably you realize that this stdps is still 20 percent plus behind rogue and warrior dps, right?

also, youre aware of how unreliable this build is because the pets die too often, correct?

Dear Players,
    We really don't have a Vision for the Mage Class. We are just winging it based on conversations around the water cooler. Occasionally we hire a Shaman to come read squirrel entrails. He says he can predict the future and it makes a tasty sandwich when he is done, so who are we to argue. Please continue to insert your $15 per month and have a nice day.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
    wait...you do realize that this is the ONLY viable dps build atm, and yet youre still asking for a nerf?

also, presumably you realize that this stdps is still 20 percent plus behind rogue and warrior dps, right?

also, youre aware of how unreliable this build is because the pets die too often, correct?

It would make more sense to have a real DPS soul build, rather than counting on pets you can cast once every 2 minutes or so. This being said, I'm pretty sure that split personality is not working as intended. The pets are dealing an insane amount of damage for 30 seconds. As a consequence of that, Pluto is trivialized in RoS.

What's going wrong is that a deep spec build is not as good as a mix of two or more souls. There is one exception to this, as a deep warlock spec build is now just fine in PvP.

I think it's much too early to complain about mage poor DPS, as I would like to wait and see how the dmg scales up with the new incoming gear.
    Last edited by Trimsic; 06-28-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Rift Disciple

i tryed and tested the zoomancer spec yesterday.
    split personality isnt working as intended imo
    i donno whats worse. the fact thats its broken, or the fact that using a broken mechanic is the only way to get high dps at the moment.

gimmick spec deleted. dont care if it does the best burst. no skill. and no control. no consistency.

I felt the same way about this ****hole gimmick spec with 3 buttons and a **** squad of ghosts doing more DPS then you do, but then I realized this really isnt any cheaper then an assassin throwing up 3 fire and forget DoTs that do all the work for him as he rolls his face on the keyboard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast