+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage in PvP

Default Mage in PvP

been 50 for awhile i'm in full pvp epics up to prestige rank 2 and i'm dropping in 3-4 seconds the moment a rogue or warrior look at me

any mages at rank 6 can tell me what its like in pvp? cause tbh grinding up ranks and bouncing through a million retrainings to try and find something that gives me a chance to last longer then 4 seconds is getting old and i can't see the light at the end of the tunnel

any build that involves healing is crippled when warriors have lingering wounds on me which is every single encounter. I've looked over warrior and rogue tree's, maybe i'm blind or something but why is it that after a charge a warrior always crits for half my health? and why do rogues always crit from stealth and when i do get distance they go to ranged and finish me off for 1.4k or 2k criticals?

maybe i'm ******ed but shadow life and neddra's essence seem like they do nothing now, shadow life does jack **** against lingering wounds and i've been dps'd through neddra's essence by 2 guys multiple times i don't know how to explain that but i'm seriously thinking about rerolling if this does not balance out.

sorry for wall of txt i'd like to hear from rank 6 mages on what pvp is like cause i do like the mage gameplay but survival is so bad i'm losing the desire to play

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nevanus View Post
    been 50 for awhile i'm in full pvp epics up to prestige rank 2 and i'm dropping in 3-4 seconds the moment a rogue or warrior look at me

any mages at rank 6 can tell me what its like in pvp? cause tbh grinding up ranks and bouncing through a million retrainings to try and find something that gives me a chance to last longer then 4 seconds is getting old and i can't see the light at the end of the tunnel

any build that involves healing is crippled when warriors have lingering wounds on me which is every single encounter. I've looked over warrior and rogue tree's, maybe i'm blind or something but why is it that after a charge a warrior always crits for half my health? and why do rogues always crit from stealth and when i do get distance they go to ranged and finish me off for 1.4k or 2k criticals?

maybe i'm ******ed but shadow life and neddra's essence seem like they do nothing now, shadow life does jack **** against lingering wounds and i've been dps'd through neddra's essence by 2 guys multiple times i don't know how to explain that but i'm seriously thinking about rerolling if this does not balance out.

sorry for wall of txt i'd like to hear from rank 6 mages on what pvp is like cause i do like the mage gameplay but survival is so bad i'm losing the desire to play

I am almost Rank 5 and I die usually within 3-5 seconds.. Sometime i don't even have a chance to hit back while being stunned, by the time they wear off, i am dead anyway.

Survivability won't get better, even if it did, Trion will nerf it...Like the nerf to GOS and Steelweave.

Sometime you can survive a bit long, say 10 seconds, if you only play as a single target healer, which is healing your self and not doing any damage to the opponent...
    Last edited by killthedesires; 06-27-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Ascendant

I just started in PvP, but I'm not really having issues surviving. My spec isn't really PvP-focused, just a soloing Dominator build I came up with. I only have Break Free and no points into Archmage. While I can't take on a Marksman one-on-one, I can definitely live long enough to harass and support. Forcing enemies out of range keeps them from completing objectives.

Group with a healer. Seriously, just find 1 person to queue with. Will make your life 10x better.

I have no problems surviving with pyro/lock/am and chloro/lock/am....and I don't even use the lock "oh ****" buttons. I am P6, so the valor might help, but...

- If pyro, flicker/break-free/root/stun/disarm are your escape methods
    - If chloro, you dps to heal...use your direct heals for yourself (Having 6400 hp helps too)

And detaunt, detaunt, detaunt.
    Corky - P8 Mage
    Kim - P5 Rogue
    Billy - P4 Cleric

Server: Seastone, Guild: Hot Shots

PvP'ing in this game without a Healer is a terrible representation of your classes potential. Don't judge the calling until you've experienced a WF with a guild healer by your side. It's like night and day.
    Stigas - 50 Defiant Mage - Rank 5
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

Default PvP post 1.3

The only pvp build Ive found viable after 1.3 is chloro coupled with archmage, ele or warlock, sometimes I go domi for fun (the 51 point ability is pretty strong, but besides from thats its meh). Im r5, 100k from r6, with decent gear. Against lowgeared opponents its np, you can basically just stand there and laugh at them while outhealing their dmg. Against equally geared opponents you are basically dead in 3-4 sec. unless you take some countermeasures.

Mage is the squishyest class in the game. As a pretty dedicated healer now post 1.3, yes I actually singletarget heal sometimes. I find it worthwhile to heal up every class. Healing up other mages however is more of a meh.. As if they have a squishy build, the 3k+ I heal for will be gone in another 2 sec, so its hardly worth it.

People are b... that mages score so high on DpS in WFs. The reason for this is of course that we are a AoE class. and hitting multiple opponents will always score you higher on DpS. However, any equally geared, wellplayed other class should be able to beat any mageclass, cept maybe dominator in 1v1. Mages are gimped beyond belief. Its become a glass cannon wo the cannon.
    Last edited by Baluba; 06-28-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Rift Chaser

I can live with the lowered damage but there needs to be a survivability buff.
    Last edited by Ashenne; 06-28-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Yeah, I thought playing this game at leats til GW2 comes out, but as it stands I dont find the game enjoyable anymore. 1.3 was the last nail in the coffin. Got 11 days left of my sub. Then Im out.

Cya in GW2 fellow mages. Perhaps that game will fare better towards our profession.

+ Reply to Thread