+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emp Darkness and Defile

Telaran

Default Emp Darkness and Defile

Anyone messed around with deep lock lately? ED and defile are probably among the strongest lock abilities but I can see they wouldn't work together. I'm kind of curious if the new changes to neddras torture have made this soul more viable(deep lock was not viable at all 1.2 from what I understand.)

Also if you're full charge anyone know how long ED lasts before it empties you out? Thx.

Yep, this isn't well designed. Defile and ED flatly do not work well together and will drain a full charge bar to nothing in 5-6 seconds. You can go with one or the other. Lock is a mess as a standalone tree.

Rift Master

Toggle ED, pew pew, toggle Defile, toggle off ED, don't let your charge bar hit zero, easy as you like.

Understand how dots work in this game.
    Last edited by Mezkh; 06-27-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mezkh View Post
    Toggle ED, pew pew, toggle Defile, toggle off ED, don't let your charge bar hit zero, easy as you like.

That would work a lot better if ED didn't have a 30 sec cool down. Getting 75% on a few more spells will do more damage than guaranteeing it on defile. Unless you've gone deep lock and defile is overpowered at that point. I'm curious if anyone knows firsthand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezkh View Post

And that's crap dps.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post
    And that's crap dps.
    Thanks cap'n obvious.

I usually pre-load DoTs -> Emp Dark -> VB spam. In PvP, at least, this works wonders to compensate for the "burst" people think we don't have without Pyro.

Emp Dark lasts long enough for 3-4 Void Bolts. If you put Defile up you MIGHT get 2 Void Bolts off. The uptime on Emp Dark really isn't impressive, so I tend to save it for either bursting down a focus target or pop it and Draining Bolt for a quick 1.5k heal and re-dot to get a pesky warrior off me.
    Stigas - 50 Defiant Mage - Rank 5
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

It mostly all depends what situation you're in whether you'd want to combine the two, but they certainly can work well together. If you're stationary, have Life Leech up and the opponent is not gonna be going anywhere or interrupting you, then by all means cast VBs through Emp Darkness.

If you want to do a load of damage to them but they'll be running off or preventing you from using casts like VB, then hit Emp Darkness, refresh Necrosis, Dark Touch and then Defile (and immediately turn off ED) and start spamming VB or something similar at anything you can. You easily retain enough charge to keep Defile going and have 3 really powerful DoTs.

It seems like ED and Defile work best together for something like PvP where the mobility is valuable, to me, so perhaps it isn't the best option in PvE, but at least it has a use.

Well if you want to use ED and Defile, you have to pop ED, use defile and then stop using ED if you want to keep Defile up long. The damage bonus sticks so defile will still be hitting for the same amount as if ED was still up. Same with another dot.

+ Reply to Thread