+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dear Trion - Please give us your vision.

Shadowlander

Default Dear Trion - Please give us your vision.

Dear Trion,

I, like I know many others Mages, would genuinely like to know your vision for us. It might be a good idea to release some sort of accurate class description for all the classes/souls/whatever in the future. But I think in our case it is of dire need now.

There are many mages who love this game, and enjoy playing it and potentially will be with RIFT for years to come. However I think there is a large majority forming that regardless of their enjoyment in RIFT refuse to continue to pay to be screwed over. I could rant and rave about dps, and survivability, and utility and not being useful here or there but you can see hundreds upon hundreds of pages of posts going into a lot more detail than I.

I just ask for some sort of vision. Do your customer base and loyal following a favor and decide where you want Mages to go and release a statement, update the website, just tell us something. This way we can willingly roll a new character at our leisure if we find the Mage class isn't what we're looking for instead of feeling severely slighted by a slew of changes that leaves hours and hours of hard work, testing and research in the dust of rogues or warriors mashing a single macro.

This idea of changing the mage class every time the wind blows, and leaving most if not all of your community of mages just baffled, in one way or the other, is a bad one. I mean the highest Mage DPS atm is just a bunch of pet spam while the caster himself does meh 300dps. Was that the idea? Was that why you lowered sc dps, raised pyro/warlock dps, and retooled the entire Dom class? So a mage's usefulness in a raid party can be to either buff or spam a zoo?

This may/will most likely fall on deaf ears, but I for one would love to hear anything. When Rogues complained in 1.2 they were spared the mighty hand of Nerf. Yet mages come with facts, statistics, parses, charts, and enough logical arguments to fill the oceans and there's no reprieve.

So if only for my sake (though be sure it is not) let us know WTF is going on in your heads. Monthly subsription expiration date time is coming up for most of us who have been playing since BETA. Now is the time!

A concerned Mage.

Plane Touched

/agree

I would be interested in hearing from Trion on just wtf they expected to happen with all of this. Is it their stance that we should "L2P"? Is it a case of "Just wait for it, that was phase 1!"? Or is it "Oh snap! We finally found the problem! It seems that the little purple flag was labeled "Support". We have fixed this bug and now it properly reads "Mages" as originally intended."
    Last edited by DarkEternis; 06-27-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Telaran

I approve this message! I for one am also concerned, because there's seem to be no set direction that they r taking the Mage class. Some insite would help a lot

Shadowlander

This ^ ......... Sub already canceled.
    Last edited by Tamiyo; 06-27-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Champion of Telara

It is ironic that, a little over a month ago, Gresh said that Mages were about where they wanted them ... and then they do this.

I am not sure they have a vision right now. I am afraid they are just making kneejerk reactions to forum whines.
    Last edited by Brad1959; 06-27-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1959 View Post
    It is ironic that, a little over a month ago, Gresh said that Mages were about where they wanted them ... and then they do this.

I am not sure they have a vision right now. I am afraid they are just making kneejerk reactions to forum whines.
    "almost" meaning that in less than a month they would completely overhaul the class exactly to where they want it to be! lol

Shadowlander

Yeah i hear ya...
    I guess me clicking the unsubscribe button was a kneejerk reaction as well :P

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEternis View Post
    "almost" meaning that in less than a month they would completely overhaul the class exactly to where they want it to be! lol
    If this is where they want us to be then I don't think I want to be playing this game anymore. How much longer till GW2 or TOR?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagius View Post
    Dear Trion,

I, like I know many others Mages, would genuinely like to know your vision for us. It might be a good idea to release some sort of accurate class description for all the classes/souls/whatever in the future. But I think in our case it is of dire need now.

There are many mages who love this game, and enjoy playing it and potentially will be with RIFT for years to come. However I think there is a large majority forming that regardless of their enjoyment in RIFT refuse to continue to pay to be screwed over. I could rant and rave about dps, and survivability, and utility and not being useful here or there but you can see hundreds upon hundreds of pages of posts going into a lot more detail than I.

I just ask for some sort of vision. Do your customer base and loyal following a favor and decide where you want Mages to go and release a statement, update the website, just tell us something. This way we can willingly roll a new character at our leisure if we find the Mage class isn't what we're looking for instead of feeling severely slighted by a slew of changes that leaves hours and hours of hard work, testing and research in the dust of rogues or warriors mashing a single macro.

This idea of changing the mage class every time the wind blows, and leaving most if not all of your community of mages just baffled, in one way or the other, is a bad one. I mean the highest Mage DPS atm is just a bunch of pet spam while the caster himself does meh 300dps. Was that the idea? Was that why you lowered sc dps, raised pyro/warlock dps, and retooled the entire Dom class? So a mage's usefulness in a raid party can be to either buff or spam a zoo?

This may/will most likely fall on deaf ears, but I for one would love to hear anything. When Rogues complained in 1.2 they were spared the mighty hand of Nerf. Yet mages come with facts, statistics, parses, charts, and enough logical arguments to fill the oceans and there's no reprieve.

So if only for my sake (though be sure it is not) let us know WTF is going on in your heads. Monthly subsription expiration date time is coming up for most of us who have been playing since BETA. Now is the time!

A concerned Mage.
    Go to google.com and search for

Scott Hartsman RIFT

or

RIFT developer interview

RIFT developer mage

Quote Originally Posted by blackweb View Post
    Go to google.com and search for

Scott Hartsman RIFT

or

RIFT developer interview

RIFT developer mage
    I did, but there was only information on the changes that happened in 1.3. We want to know what direction the mage class is going, not about things we already know.

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

Plane Touched

What is ironic is that a little over a month ago, Gresh said that Mages were about where they wanted them ... and then they do this.

The vast majority of forum whines about mages are because of PvP. at least from what I have seen If they were making a knee jerk reaction to that they could have just modified the abilities for pvp like they did with the Pyromancer. It is an interesting notion, but the facts do not support it.

Now as to Gresh saying that "about where they wanted them" is an incredibly subjective statement. 10 - 15% reduction could very well be in the "about" range. To me it really seams that all this was very intentional. Before we basicly had one combo that completely out shined all others in both AoE and single target when it came to DPS and now we has 3 to 5 that are basicly in the same boat. YES it is a fact we do less dps than other classes and no I don't like it, but the fact that so many more of our soul combos are now in basicly the same dps range really makes me think they are going to use Mages DPS as the baseline. Finding out what wacky things people come up with (like Zoomancer) and then bring other classes in like with that. Is it stupid doing it that way? That comes down to opinion but in my opinion if they do it within the next month or two I don't care. If they don't do it soon or at all or buff any of the other classes role combination, they I will happily admit my theory did not pan out and jump on the Trion sucks for killing Mages and has no idea what they are doing bandwagon. But I like to have all of or at least almost all of the facts first.

I find it extremely interesting that most people are not even able to entertain the possibility that this is what they doing. When in the past with many many MMO that is exactly what happened. Is it so hard for people to imagine history repeating itself yet again? And that I am called a Fanboi of Trion (ROFLMAO!! My god they can't even get the clipping plane to work well, that is totally basic stuff) because I believe in actually having the facts before I make my decisions.

To the OP, very well written I agree. I wish Trion would tell us what the hell they were doing and where they are going with this.

Plane Touched

Oh crap before the freak outs begin, yes they really screwed with chloromancer and really changed it around. It now totally different than it was. I am not sure how I feel about it yet, I liked the old chloro, but I can kinda see the merits and reasons for what they did. The Jury is still out for me haven't had any time to play with it myself yet only read stuff on the forums about it and looked at the talents.
    Last edited by Raduk; 06-27-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Rift Disciple

I dont care about PvP balance at all and I am sad that PvP nerfs always destroy my PvE experience.

Perhaps the stormcaller was overpowered in their eyes but I actually care more about inter archetype balance and when I compare the mage builds to rogue and warrior builds the DPS isnt where it should be and thats not considering what we have to do for it compared to 1 and 2 macro smasher builds.

Please dont tell me the combined single target and AOE DPS of the stormcaller was too high. Just an one word example. Sabo. Crazy ST and AOE damage and so easy to play.

The seperate changes for pyros PvP vs PvE is the only small hope I have that PvP wont inflluence the PvE balance anymore.

Their hotfix style increases for necro warlock and pyro per point in the tree % was a reaction after the forum was burning about the chloro changes and the stormcaller nerf. Nice distraction. Gave people some hope and wasted their time finding the one single target build that could be meant to compete with the DPS builds of the other archetypes. Nice ruse. Now go to work and balance the mage archetype.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Raduk View Post
    The vast majority of forum whines about mages are because of PvP. at least from what I have seen
    Clerics were whinning because we could solo heal T2s, and still do some dps. They felt groups preferred Chloros for rapid assault runs.

After Trion's kneejerk reaction to their whines, we can no longer solo heal T2s (unless the Chloro or the tank is overgeared) and our dps is laughable..
    Last edited by Brad1959; 06-27-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Telaran

Either

They don't care, or
    They don't know how to read the forums. Somebody should email them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast