+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Could use some help with an elementalist build (Level 30)

Soulwalker

Default Could use some help with an elementalist build (Level 30)

Right now my build really makes no sense... I'm new to this game and not really sure what's better than what.

I'm leveling slow and I'm sure there's a better way to do this. This is what I'm using now.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zqys.xthzRTkhz.Vu

The only reason I have Dominator is for Transmogrify so I can CC if needed. I don't know why I have stormcaller, the game said I should have it but the only spell from that tree I find myself using is Arctic Blast for AOE and Electrocute to finish off an enemy at low health.

I typically do the same thing regardless if I'm in a group or soloing.

Send Pet in
    Lightning Strike
    Exposure
    Ignite
    Crystalline Missiles Spam
    Refresh Ignite and Exposure as needed
    Lightning Strike when it comes off cooldown

Of course I use some AOE abilities if there's 3+ mobs (Burning Ground / Arctic Blast / Fiery Assault)

Now I really like Elementalist and I really like how well my pet can tank. I've solo'd every elite quest I've had so far by just sending my pet in, letting it get aggro, healing it, and then slowly DPS'ing while continuing to heal my pet with Quicken Elements

So what can you guys suggest for me?

Rift Disciple

My first char to 50 was an Elementalist.. not sure what you mean by "slow" - I thought it was crazy easy. I would add Icy Carapace to your rotation, and I gave up on Ignite. Exposure is only a net gain on long fights. Other than that you're not doing anything wrong.
    refugee from Corthana and Byriel

Soulwalker

Well by slow I mean it took me over a week to get to 20 yet a friend started a rogue and was 25 in 2 days. Last night I played for about 3 hours and went from 29 to 30. It just seems like things are moving slow for me like I'm not killing fast enough or something.

I figured my spec was to blame or maybe the spells I'm casting or perhaps my other souls as I rarely even use them.

Rift Disciple

To be honest, I tried Ele/SC as my very first build and was so new to the game that it confused the heck out of me (SC has a high learning curve). It was the theme I liked (I love Elementalists, especially when they deal with Air and Lightning), but was just too difficult to wrap my head around.

Fast forward a couple of months and I'd tried out several builds and researched others on the forums so I wanted to give Ele/SC a try again.

Now it makes much more sense and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I don't recommend SC for people new to Rift. There are some nice guides on the forums (you'll want to search for them), but there's a lot to learn. There are plenty of viable specs out there that are much easier to get used to.

When I tried Ele/Sc the 2nd time around, I was in my upper 30s. This let me put 32 points into Ele up front to get my Greater pets and Channel Elements (SC is a mana hog). It also let me build up SC to get the basics of what I need. As you invest more into SC you get more depth and have to use more complex strategies to make the most of your DPS, so it's nice to start with a few core abilities and get some practice with them anyway.

Once you get Ice Shear, Lightning Storm and Forked Lightning, you'll be well on your way to fun SC goodness (Lightning Storm + Forked Lightning are awesome AoE, even with the recent nerfs - and are a lot of fun to watch). My eventual build is 33 Ele/33 SC (give or take a point in one or the other). I've got 32 in Ele right now and 26 in SC. I don't use a ton of Ele abilities in my rotation (Lightning Strike and Exposure being what I include - but those are for single target fights. I don't use any Ele for AoE). I mainly utilize SC abilities that you don't have just yet. I see myself as a Stormcaller with Elementalist pets and a couple nifty Ele abilities, despite how the points are invested.

I'm sure you can play your spec and enjoy it for now. But know that there's a lot to look forward to in SC as you invest more into it. It's a lot of fun.

Here's a link to the build I plan on using at 50. Something to consider, but others may have better builds.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Adz.V0txMxcsbo
    Last edited by Kelson; 06-27-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Shadowlander

Keep going with it, and keep adding in the SC as the poster above said. By the sounds of it, you're not being aggressive enough with multiple mob pulls. If you're comfortable doing a bit of tab tab aggro managing with pet and hotkey his specials (especially the aoe and single taunts - take them off autocast) you should by 30ish be able to hold 3-4 mobs with the pet while you aoe 'em down. If it goes wrong, it'll go horribly wrong, but you should find yourself accelerating past the rogue once you get the hang of it.
    Last edited by Ganabul; 06-27-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Soulwalker

Well right now I'm not even using SC. Just trying to find a better way to level as Elementalist with whatever souls will complement it on the way up there. The only reason I picked SC was because it said it would go well with Elementalist but I haven't even used that tree that much.

Shadowlander

My general rotation was the following:
    Lightning Strike + send pet
    Icy Carapace
    Ignite
    Burning Ground
    Crystaline Missiles x2 and the mob was dead. If it wasn't, toss another missile or Lightning strike. I rarely needed to re-apply dots. Quicken Elements and some Revitalize when needed. Incorporating Burning Ground into my rotation sped things up a healthy amount. It definitely felt like a lot of damage for just 2s cast time, and mana isn't a concern with Revitalize.

Also don't be afraid to AoE every now and then. I turned off my pet's AoE taunt so I could control it manually. Send him in to gather a group, AoE taunt, then Burning Ground and Fiery Assault. That usually took care of a whole pack.

When I got to about 35, I did swap out for a 21 Elem/Rest SC spec. So far I'm LOVING it. Even with just 21 points, the taunt holds groups/singles long enough for me to AoE them down. I'm killing much faster with little to no downtime. Lightning Field and Ice Shear were the big "switch-over" talents for me. Once I got those, I noticed a huge increase in speed and mobility.

I've tried Necro/Lock, Lock/Chloro, Elem/SC, Elem/lock... I find them all to be almost identical through the mid 30's, speed-wise. After that, AoE builds are starting to become noticeably quicker for pretty much everything, and Elem/SC is definitely rocking my world. Self-healing is non-existent, but the availability of cheap water fixes this problem easily. This build also gives me the opportunity to solo rifts+ bonus stages, as well as the occasional elite.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by SesameBeef View Post
    Well right now I'm not even using SC.
    Well, take the hint

The only reason I picked SC was because it said it would go well with Elementalist but I haven't even used that tree that much.
    It does go well, but you do need to get to the good aoe stuff - Arctic blast (which you have) to lightning field (14 points in) will set you up with a basic, efficient aoe rotation which will pay off if you can juggle 3-4 mobs with the pet.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ganabul View Post
    Well, take the hint

It does go well, but you do need to get to the good aoe stuff - Arctic blast (which you have) to lightning field (14 points in) will set you up with a basic, efficient aoe rotation which will pay off if you can juggle 3-4 mobs with the pet.
    Well I can mess with that at 35 when I have 14 points to put into it but right now I only have 9 points in it so I don't really get much benefit at all. I can take points out of Elementalist to throw in there but I'd rather get the most benefit to my pet that I can considering it allows me to tank elites.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kelthien View Post
    My general rotation was the following:
    Lightning Strike + send pet
    Icy Carapace
    Ignite
    Burning Ground
    Crystaline Missiles x2 and the mob was dead. If it wasn't, toss another missile or Lightning strike. I rarely needed to re-apply dots. Quicken Elements and some Revitalize when needed. Incorporating Burning Ground into my rotation sped things up a healthy amount. It definitely felt like a lot of damage for just 2s cast time, and mana isn't a concern with Revitalize.

Also don't be afraid to AoE every now and then. I turned off my pet's AoE taunt so I could control it manually. Send him in to gather a group, AoE taunt, then Burning Ground and Fiery Assault. That usually took care of a whole pack.

When I got to about 35, I did swap out for a 21 Elem/Rest SC spec. So far I'm LOVING it. Even with just 21 points, the taunt holds groups/singles long enough for me to AoE them down. I'm killing much faster with little to no downtime. Lightning Field and Ice Shear were the big "switch-over" talents for me. Once I got those, I noticed a huge increase in speed and mobility.

I've tried Necro/Lock, Lock/Chloro, Elem/SC, Elem/lock... I find them all to be almost identical through the mid 30's, speed-wise. After that, AoE builds are starting to become noticeably quicker for pretty much everything, and Elem/SC is definitely rocking my world. Self-healing is non-existent, but the availability of cheap water fixes this problem easily. This build also gives me the opportunity to solo rifts+ bonus stages, as well as the occasional elite.
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll have to respec and get Icy carapace. Not sure how I missed it the first time around.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll have to respec and get Icy carapace. Not sure how I missed it the first time around.
    It's great! The DoT portion is terribly small, but it's a really handy delayed burst of damage. Usually about the same damage as Crystaline Missiles, only it's back-loaded so your pet gets time to gain aggro.

Again, though, Burning Ground's use was the big "ooh things die a lot faster..." moment for me. I also had an Elem/Lock build for health regen and Opportunity. Opportunity used on a Burning Ground or Lightning Strike cast upped my per-fight DPS considerably. I loved that spec until I felt I had enough points to maximize the SC synergies without losing my Elem tanking pet.

+ Reply to Thread