+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Support soul for 5 man PvE

Soulwalker

Default Support soul for 5 man PvE

I have looked through the forums and have found a lot of discussion about DPS builds and heal builds but not much about support builds. I use the lfg tool a lot looking for 5-man pickup groups and one of the roles is "support". The main purpose of the support role, I think, would be to make everybody else perform better. There are other roles in the group for DPS and healing.

Prior to 1.3 I used a chloro/archon build and it seemed to do well for group buffing spells, backup healing and dps. Since 1.3 though I have been unsure. A 51 chloro build would seem to be filling the heal role (which someone else is doing) not support role. I have thought about the 51 Archon, but that seems more for a raid, not a 5 man. The healing you would need to do would be mostly in emergencies so I would want a build with instant heals and shields. I was thinking about something like this

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...kMz.qdI00V.McV

The 36 in Archon gets fairly deep into the buffing/debuffing and maxes consuming flames

The 20 into Chloro gets a battle rez and has some emergency heals

The 10 in Dominator gets memory wipe, deny, reflective command and charged shield and increases int by 10%

I have also thought about using a soul where you put 20 points into chloro and use the other 46 to max dps but I am not as familiar with DPS builds

Usually if I am in an experienced 5 man group, I use my dps build for the majority of the run (even though I signed up in the "support" role). For pick up groups I tend to use the support build more. But I havent done any runs in support role since 1.3 yet. Let me know what you guys think would be a good build for the support role in a 5-man

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick Troell View Post
    Usually if I am in an experienced 5 man group, I use my dps build for the majority of the run (even though I signed up in the "support" role).
    Chloro/chon isn't terrible for a support build, but 9.99 times out of 10, my support build is 32 sc/34 ele.

Support is mostly a raid thing, tbh. 5 mans are just too small to fully take advantage of support builds. There was a niche prepatch for chloro/archon in 5 mans, but that's no longer a viable option.

aux

The purpose of the support souls is to fill the 3rd DPS slot in a random dungeon group.
    I'm so BORED

Ascendant

My support build is 34 SC/32 Ele.
    Last edited by PessimiStick; 06-27-2011 at 05:22 AM.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

I use Chloro/Archon in 5 mans for offheals in a group of friends I run with. I mainly just switch to it on bosses though. The rest of the time it's faster to just dps and the cleric has no trouble keeping up on heals. The buffs/offheals do make things go more smoothly on bosses, but even then we could probably get away with me dpsing on most fights. It really just depends on the group how useful you'll find this build, but I'd definitely say it's more useful than full chloro for offheals and support.

Champion of Telara

I am thinking about a 38Lock/28Chloro for support. I can group/back-up heal pretty well, and dps when healing is not necessary.
    Last edited by Brad1959; 06-27-2011 at 05:53 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Carolius View Post
    Chloro/chon isn't terrible for a support build, but 9.99 times out of 10, my support build is 32 sc/34 ele.
    Let's see all your points in DPS.

Support? Hardly. You are just one of the mindless DPS waiting for hours for a Q. Enjoy

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissibow View Post

Support? Hardly. You are just one of the mindless DPS waiting for hours for a Q. Enjoy
    I think you're missing the point here.

"Support" is worthless if your healer isn't terrible. Ergo, the fastest way to clear is with a DPS spec.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1959 View Post
    I am thinking about a 38Lock/28Chloro for support. I can group/back-up heal pretty well, and dps when healing is not necessary.
    Correct as far as I'm concerned. I've been running similar build for solo PvE for a long time. It's a great support in instancing and solo heal in Major rifts when needed.

**edit -- I've called this build my TankMage build for months lol.
    Last edited by Balboa; 06-27-2011 at 06:28 AM.
    When all is said and done ... too much is said than done.
    Rome wasn't created by meetings. They did it by killing their enemies.

Champion of Telara

I queue for support, and most of the time the group prefers me to go dps. Post 1.3, that may change if we have a Chloro main healer. But, with a Cleric main healer, there is no real reason for support. Killing things faster is usually better.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissibow View Post

Hardly. I don't que unless I have 4 other people from my guild already in the group. And all of our healers are more than capable of solo healing 90% of the T2 content. I also have a 51 chloro and a 34/32 chloro/lock if they ask for it. As always, I leave it up to the healer to decide my role.

Soulwalker

Default support soul for5 man Pve

Thanks all for your input.

Sounds like a support role for 5 man pickup group with the lfg tool is poor design and not needed. What is needed is 3 dps, tank and healer. Unfortunately the Pick up group will be in the lfg que unless that role is "filled" not sure what you need to satisfy the lfg tool; suspect you can have a 51 Archon build and just never use it and "fill" the support role.

I guess in a perfect world would be nice if support could buff/debuff well enough to be as valuable as a dps, but that does not seem to be the current game design for 5 man groups even though there is a "support " role; or maybe that role is just for bards

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick Troell View Post
    suspect you can have a 51 Archon build and just never use it and "fill" the support role.
    That's exactly it.

+ Reply to Thread