+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage leveling build?

Soulwalker

Default Mage leveling build?

Was using the ele/chloro build in 1.2 to level and quest but now I'm wondering whats best

should I go with nec/lock? not used it yet and wondering if it has the same survivability

Rift Disciple

Why would you change?
    refugee from Corthana and Byriel

Shadowlander

Elem/Chloro is ok, though I didn't really need the chloro part very much with Quickening Elements being so strong.

Nec/lock is great, however I didn't like waiting for DoTs to ramp up. I have the same problem with the Warlock tree in general.

Depending on your level, I really enjoy SC/Elem (21 in Elem for the tank pet). The increased 'burstiness' satisfies me more than casting 4-5 dots and waiting for them all to tick through.

I've generally found that the leveling speeds are all pretty much the same, unless you focus on an AoE leveling build (which are MUCH faster for grinding and many quest areas). I'd go with playstyle being the trump card for any quest-based or single-target focus.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kelthien View Post
    Nec/lock is great, however I didn't like waiting for DoTs to ramp up. I have the same problem with the Warlock tree in general.

Waiting for DoTs? That hasn't been my experience as a lock/necro since mid teens. It's either DoT, DoT, Soul Purge, dead with some charge left over to hit the next thing, or DoT mob1, DoT mob2, DoT mob3, AoE them into the ground when get to me.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

Shadowlander

I think my issue with DoTs was less 'waiting for them to happen' and more 'the mob is dead before they reach their conclusion, so I've got to be wasting damage-per-cast-time.'

Example: Cloudburst is instant and hits for 500 damage. One of my warlock dots hits for 80 damage a second. If the mob is dead after 5 seconds, I spent a global cooldown for either 500 damage with cloudburst or 400 damage for the DoT. Of course, the situation is reversed if mobs live for longer or the numbers are different.

It could totally be psychological, but I felt like mobs generally die quicker when I'm in a Stormcaller bursty spec than when I was in a Warlock DoT-based spec. Mathematically, the two specs are about 1.5 seconds per mob difference in terms of kill speed, which is pretty negligible to me unless I'm mass grinding.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kelthien View Post
    I think my issue with DoTs was less 'waiting for them to happen' and more 'the mob is dead before they reach their conclusion, so I've got to be wasting damage-per-cast-time.'

Example: Cloudburst is instant and hits for 500 damage. One of my warlock dots hits for 80 damage a second. If the mob is dead after 5 seconds, I spent a global cooldown for either 500 damage with cloudburst or 400 damage for the DoT. Of course, the situation is reversed if mobs live for longer or the numbers are different.

It could totally be psychological, but I felt like mobs generally die quicker when I'm in a Stormcaller bursty spec than when I was in a Warlock DoT-based spec. Mathematically, the two specs are about 1.5 seconds per mob difference in terms of kill speed, which is pretty negligible to me unless I'm mass grinding.
    Gotcha, makes sense. There are times where it seems like I'm just throwing dots to get charge up for soul purge.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

+ Reply to Thread