+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chloromancer PVP/PVE Change Summary

Soulwalker

Default Chloromancer PVP/PVE Change Summary

So, I've been seeing a lot of threads about chloromancers and the impact of their changes to the game ... but no real short and concise summaries for people who want to know just at a glance. So, based on the distilled experiences of everyone on this and other boards here is how things have changed:

PVP:
    General consensus is that Chloromancers have received anywhere from a slight-moderate buff in pvp. Obviously its spec dependent, but that seems to be the consensus. This only applies to level 50 pvp however. I am not sure of the pre-level 50 pvp situation for chloromancers now.

PVE:
    Raids - Chloromancers received a needed nerf. The switch to aoe healing or tank healing has benefited/simplified raids. A raid geared (T1/T2) chloromancer will still heal fine. HOWEVER, clerics heal better at the moment and general consensus seems to be that there isn't much point bringing more than 1 chloro on a raid. That said, it won't kill a raid to have more.
    Expert Dungeons - Chloromancers received an unneeded nerf. Consensus is that if you do not overgear that content you will either have a lot of difficulty solo healing, or not be able to solo heal. Depending on group make-up and skill you may also not make it with a backup healer. Now, this is dependent on skill + specs of everyone in the group. More skilled players will likely be able to make it through (and some may even enjoy the increased challenge). However, taken from the perspective of an average pug group trying to gear up for T2 or raids there is a good chance that chloros will either have extreme difficulty healing, or not be able to make it through the instance at all.
    Pre Level 50 - Chloromancers received a huge and unneeded nerf. It is likely that you will not be able to solo heal instances until level 50. Leveling with a chloro is now much more painful and slower than it used to be (due both to decreased damage and decreased healing).

Summary: If you pvp at level 50 chloromancers have received a boost. If you raid they have received an expected nerf, but it won't kill you. If you are gearing up for T2s/raids you will likely experience problems and may want to switch to dps instead. If you are leveling to 50 likely don't even bother with a chloromancer.

---

My opinion:

In my opinion this is a pretty disastrous change to the chloros, as for the majority of the PVE player-base it is a large and unneeded the nerf. The players who are either a) skilled enough, b) geared enough, or c) have good enough stable groups to overcome a lack of a) or b), are in a minority. I've heard statistics thrown around like only 5% of the player base fits into one of the above categories, but I have no idea if that is at all true. I know that in my case I had just moved out of T1s and started T2s (but didn't have any T2 gear) when the patch hit. I found that I was no longer to heal many of the end bosses on T2s no matter what I tried (the new standard rotation, trying everything in the toolbox, a mixture of the two, whatever). This has also been mostly with a backup healer (I insist on it now). I happen to PUG basically all my instances, which of course does not help, and have resigned myself to not being able to advance further in content until my sub expires. I may not be the most skilled player but I'm not a bad player, and have been playing mmos a while - I am perhaps average. To me, the average player, pre-patch I could solo heal and I found chloro fun. Post-patch I can no longer solo heal and chloro feels like a chore, and the flavor is gone. So ... ah well. It was fun while it lasted.

Prophet of Telara

You hit the nail on the head.

20s Chloro is fine. But you'd be better off with a Cleric but Chloro can work.

In 5s Chloro is bad. If they removed the 10s cooldown on Veils it wouldn't be as bad.

I wonder how much fun it would be for Clerics if they healed the group it didn't heal the tank. Then they couldn't heal the tank for 10s after a group heal?

I'd think the forum over there would be on fire:P

I understand why. It's for 20s. But in 5s it's a true killer for Chloro.

Totally agree, Chloros are dead in 5 mans now -- cant solo heal and cant make dps checks with them.

Worst part is, they made 5 man content less accessible in a game starved for more casual content.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissibow View Post

I wonder how much fun it would be for Clerics if they healed the group it didn't heal the tank. Then they couldn't heal the tank for 10s after a group heal?
    Think about the outcry if Clerisc couldn't heal each other.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Plane Touched

It would likely resemble the mage outcry.

I'm in a semi-casual guild so no one looked at me and said "uh oh. you aren't min-maxing anymore, time to go home" but I feel the burn a little. It is a sad feeling when you unload all your cooldowns and know for a fact that the tank is now dead before you can spam some 2.5s cast time stuff.

I think maybe Trion has a problem making chloros heal as much as clerics simply because we also DPS. If chloros and clerics both do 1000 HPS, but chloros do 500 DPS as well, then that makes them clearly superior to having a cleric in the group.

Unfortunately because clerics can solo heal instances and chloros can't at the same gear level, it means in general we aren't needed period. Might as well have a DPS fill the slot if the healer doesn't HAVE to have some support. If Clerics always needed a support, then it wouldn't matter because a cleric + chloro is often better to have than cleric + cleric , maybe due to mana reasons, or that chloros can do very good steady AOE healing for no extra cost.

So the problem seems to be that Trion may not feel solo healing should be an option. If that is the case a support should ALWAYS be necessary. No one should be able to solo heal an instance until they overgear it or all healers should be able to solo heal it. Any other option and you have people kicking one class in favor of another when both classes are SUPPOSED to be able to fill the same role. Unacceptable for most gamers.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEternis View Post
    I think maybe Trion has a problem making chloros heal as much as clerics simply because we also DPS. If chloros and clerics both do 1000 HPS, but chloros do 500 DPS as well, then that makes them clearly superior to having a cleric in the group.
    I think another facet to this is that clerics have their damage prevention methods as well. So before I thought it was that the general setup is:

Chloros = Heals + slight DPS
    Clerics = Heals + damage negation (which is effectively more heals)
    So this way both classes are able to heal fine, but clerics are arguably better healers while choros add some dps to the mix. Both are fine for 5 mans, and both have their place in a raid.

+ Reply to Thread