+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1.3 Chloromancer Healing Guide

Soulwalker

Default 1.3 Chloromancer Healing Guide

Too Long Didn't Read (TLDR) Version
    To get the most effective tank healing in patch 1.3, 51 points in Chloromancer and 10 points in Warlock for Opportunity is now essentially necessary. The remaining 5 points can be spent according to personal preference.

Lifebound Veil (LBV) is your new single-target, tank-healing veil. It is automatically placed on yourself when you cast Synthesis on a target.
    Lifegiving Veil (LGV) is now your AoE, raid-healing veil.

Single Target Tank Healing Rotation (51 Chloromancer):
    Have Synthesis on tank.

Radiant Spores>Spam Void Life>Nature's Touch if Opportunity procs.

AoE Healing Rotation:
    Ruin>Radiant Spores>Spam Void Life>On Opportunity proc, if 3 + targets cast Nature's Fury, if 2 or less targets cast Nature's Touch>Natural Splendor once 80+ charge is reached if it is off cooldown

3x Chloro/3x Warlock still does more group/raid healing and DPS if that is the role you trying to fulfill.

Intro
    With patch 1.3 came significant changes to the way Mage Chloromancers heal. While a 3x Chloromancer/3x Warlock or a 3x Chloromancer/ 3x Dominator build may still be viable, they have had their raw healing output greatly reduced compared to what they were doing in patch 1.2. To get close to the same healing output, 51 points Chloromancer is needed. The bad part is that this limits the diversity of Mage healing, decreases Mage survivability, and significantly decreases self Damage Per Second (DPS) compared to the 1.2 Chlorolock. The good part is that the new 51 point Chloromancer rotation has become simpler, we have a spamable heal that can be used when we don't have a target to damage/when we are out of combat, and that our new healing is more consistent and less spikey.

1.3 ChloroLock Build Link
    CHLOROMANCER/WARLOCK/ELEMENTALIST

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRvq.EdIuqAIkRR.xx.V

This build will give you the arguably the most Heals Per Second (HPS) possible in 1.3 as a Mage. However there are several similar builds you can use depending on personal preference. As long as you have 51 points in Chloromancer and 5/5 in Opportunity in Warlock, where you spend your last 5 points or which zero point soul you take will depend on what you want to get out of your build. Below are links of several different viable 1.3 Chloromancer builds:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRv0.EdIuqAIkRR.xx0V

This build gives you more hit points and also gives you Break Free from your zero point soul. While Break Free is in the pvp soul, it can be invaluable in raids/5 man PvE as it breaks you out of any spell that controls you or impairs your movement on a 2 minute cooldown. This ability can be the difference between a while and a successful boss downing.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRvs.EdIuqAIkRR.xx0V

Alternately, some might prefer to take Dominator as your zero point soul for Transmorgify. If 1.3 is anything like 1.2, "sheeps" are almost never used, but who knows, maybe it will become necessary with the new content?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRvz.EdIuqAIkRR.xx0V
    This build takes Archon as your zero point soul, giving you access to intelligence, wisdom, and endurance by using Pillaging Stone and Searing Vitality respectively.

Buffs
    This is the first difference you will notice with the 1.3 Chloromancer, you now have different buffs for different situations. While you still have Lifegiving Veil, it is not the same ability that you are used to from 1.2. Here is what it does now in 1.3:

Lifegiving Veil: Increased the base single-target Life damage to Healing conversion to 80%. This now shares a 10 second cooldown with Synthesis and Lifebound Veil. This can no longer be purged.

You also have a new ability, Lifebound Veil:

New Ability: Lifebound Veil - Causes Life damage dealt by the Mage to heal up to 5 allies within 20 meters for 15% of the damage done for 1 hour. All other spell damage dealt by the Mage heals allies for 5% of the damage done. Spells that damage more than one target have healing generated by Lifebound Veil reduced by 80%. Life based damage over time effects heal allies for 25% of the damage done by the first damaging tick of the effect. The Mage cannot receive healing from other Lifebound Veil or Lifegiving Veil effects while affected by this buff. Does not trigger a global cooldown. Cannot be purged.This is obtained after spending 11 points in the Chloromancer soul.

Simply stated...
    Lifebound Veil (LBV) is your new single-target, tank-healing veil.
    Lifegiving Veil (LGV) is now your AoE, raid-healing veil.

Both can not be up at the same time from one Chloromancer, so you will have to pick which is most appropriate for your situation. They share a 10 second cooldown, so you can go back and forth every 10 seconds if you so choose. If you are the main healer of an instance, or the main tank healer of a raid, you most likely will be using Lifebound Veil. If you are support, the raid healer, or need lots of group healing, you most likely will be using Lifegiving Veil.

One other thing to note, using Synthesis on a target automatically casts Lifebound Veil on yourself. You really should never be casting Lifebound Veil, just cast Synthesis when you need to tank heal. I use this mouseover macro to instantly cast Synthesis (for more on mouseover macros, read the mouseover macro section)

#show Synthesis
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseover Synthesis

Single Target Fights
    With 1.3, Void Life (the 51 point ability) got a huge overhaul. This is what it now does:

Void Life: Now channels destructive energy at the target, dealing Life damage each second for 3 seconds. Causes Lifebound Veil to trigger an extra heal on the target of the Chloromancer's Synthesis buff for an additional 90% of the damage dealt. This no longer has a cooldown and no longer consumes charge (it is now spammable).

Essentially they gave us a spammable channeled damage ability that will consistently heal the target every 1 second of it's 3 second duration. This is our second highest damage spell in terms of HPS, just behind Nature's Touch (even though its damage got nerfed significantly in 1.3). While some prefer to macro Nature's Touch and Void Life and spam that, I prefer to just spam Void Life and use Nature's Touch when opportunity procs. I do this because Void life is very, very close to the same HPS as Nature's Touch (see Veev's 1.3 Cholro Healing Output Spreadsheet linked at the bottom for the actual numbers). More importantly by just spamming Void Life, you will consistently be healing every second instead of having a large heal spike that comes with Nature's Touch 2.5 second cast time. So the rotation I use is as follows:

Radiant Spores (this ability has no aggro so you can cast it as the tank is running to the mob)>Spam Void Life>Instant Cast Nature's Touch on an Opportunity Proc>Refresh Radiant Spores 16 seconds after it is initially cast

Other old Chloro abilities can be useful depending on the situation. For example, while Ruin does not have the raw HPS that Void Life has, it can be used as an instant cast quick tank heal when needed. Likewise Withering Vines can be used to place a Heal Over Time on all group members when the whole group needs a group and your Flourish is on cooldown.

One last note is that with the 51 point build you get Natural Healing, which is a spammable direct heal with a 2.5 second cast time. While it does not do damage and does not have the highest HPS output, it is a great ability for healing a target while out of combat, or in fights where you can not damage an enemy.

AoE Rotation
    While Vile Spores provides a little more HPS, I prefer to use Void Life again in our AoE Rotation because it will consistently heal every 1 second. Your new AoE rotation looks like this:

Radiant Spores>Spam Void Life>When Opportunity procs, instant cast Nature's Fury if there are 3+ targets or Nature's Touch if 2 or less targets>Natural Splendor once 80+ charge is reached if it is off cooldown

Unlike the single target rotation, if Opportunity procs, prioritize Nature's Fury to use up your instant cast, then Nature's Touch if it procs again.

If you really prefer to use Vile Spores for a little more HPS and some more Opportunity procs just use this rotation:

Radiant Spores>Spam Vile Spores>When Opportunity procs, instant cast Nature's Fury if there are 3+ targets or Nature's Touch if 2 or less targets>Natural Splendor once 80+ charge is reached if it is off cooldown

Using Charge to Increase Your DPS/HPS
    Whenever you have close to 100 charge, or even when you need a boost in healing, use Entropic Veil. Entropic Veil shrouds the Mage in an Entropic Veil, increasing all Magic damage dealt by 10%. Consumes Charge while active. Charge cannot be gained while active. Does not trigger a global cooldown. This will significantly increase your DPS/HPS.

3x Chloromancer/3x Warlock Group/Raid Healing
    The standard 30x/3x Warlock build from 1.2 does more group/raid healing when using Lifegiving Veil. It also does more DPS than the having 51 points in Chloromancer, but it can not touch it's tank healing output. Here is an example of a common Chloro Lock Build (not the only build mind you):

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...qxo.EdIuoVc0oo

Essentially your Single Target Rotation will be this:
    Ruin > Radiant Spores > Nature's Touch > Vile Spores > Withering Vines > Nature's Touch > Repeat

Your AoE Rotation will be something like this:
    Ruin> Radiant Spores > Spam Vile Spores > On Opportunity proc, if 3 + targets cast Nature's Fury, if 2 or less targets cast Nature's Touch

For guides on how to play a Chloro Lock, please look at the guides provided below or view the 1.2 Chloro Lock guides in the forum as the play style has not changed.

Oh @#!% Someone Is Dying
    You have 3 instant cast heals that will cover 3 different types of situations:

Essence Surge is a BIG single target heal that has a 2 minute cooldown. With 1.3 it also no longer debuffs your damage, so do not hesitate to use it when someone needs a very large heal.

Bloom is a smaller single target heal, but it has a cooldown of only 10 seconds. Its healing got nerfed in 1.3, but it is still good to patch someone up.

Flourish is a group heal with a cooldown of 20 seconds. It's healing got buffed in 1.3 (probably to make up for our lack of AoE healing while using Synthesis and Lifebound Veil), so it now hits like a truck. Some argue that it so effective now, that it should be thrown into our regular rotation. I prefer to save it for when the group needs a heal though.

@mouseover Healing Macros
    The @mouseover targeting works when the cursor is hovering over party member portraits, pet portraits, and names in the raid panel. Why use @mouseover macros? Because it saves you the extra time it takes to click a target, then click a spell. This saved second can literally be the difference between life and death while healing. Here are all of the healing macros I use. They all have stopcasting in them so if you are casting something, you will and immediately cease casting and get off your heal spell.

#show Bloom
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseover Bloom

#show Flourish
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseover Flourish

#show Essence Surge
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseover Essence Surge

Since my mouse is almost always over the party or raid frames while healing, I also use the @mouseover macros for other spells to save me some time while casting them also and each has stopcasting in it. This will instantly cast the spell, automatically interrupting whatever channeled spell or spell with a cast time that you are currently doing. This comes in very handy when you are trying to cleanse someone, so I use it on Nature's Cleansing and my instant heal spells.

#show Nature's Cleansing
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseover Nature's Cleansing

Mana
    Endless mana is one of the main reasons you put points in the warlock soul. Your mana concerns begins and ends with Sacrifice Life:Mana which does just what it sounds like (15 % health for 15% mana instant cast with no cooldown). Be careful not to get yourself too low on life using this ability. Normally, you will heal yourself right back up to full life with your normal damage rotation. If you have some spare charge (in or out of combat), you can use Reconstruct (converts charge to life) to heal yourself up. If I can, I try to use Sacrifice Life:Mana right before a Nature's Touch, so I instantly get healed back to full.

Alternately, with 51 points in Chloromancer you have Living Shell and Empathic Bond which can be used to return mana in situations where you can not lose any life. Living shell encases the Mage in hardened vines, returning 2% of the Mage's maximum mana per second, and absorbing up to 831 damage, for the next 30 seconds. Mana is reduced by the amount of damage absorbed. Empathic Bond links the Mage and the ally affected by their Synthesis ability, returning mana to the Mage equal to 20% of the damage dealt to that ally. Lasts 30 seconds.

Resurrecting
    Your basic rez macro that will let people know in party chat who you are resurrecting so multiple people don't rez the same person.

#show Seed of Life
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseover Seed of Life
    p casting rez on %t

You also get an instant cast battle rez. Use this to grab get someone back into the fight. For a more advanced move, during those times where you know you are going to whipe, cast this on a rezzer that is already dead and tell them not to use it until after the whipe. Now you just saved a soulwalk or a run back, and the group/raid can get back to phat lewts ASAP because of you and your quick thinking. Notice I also use stopcasting and @mouseover for this macro so I can get it off as quick as possible.

#show Soul Tether
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseover Soul Tether
    p casting rez on %t

Sources/More guides
    Veev's 1.3 Cholro Healing Output Spreadsheet
    http://www.voodooguild.net/veev/Chloro_13_HPS.xlsx

Bluedot's 1.3 Chloro Testing
    http://bluedots.org/2011/06/17/1-3-chloro-testing/

FireWraith's 1.3 Chloro Healing
    http://unstablerift.com/?q=node/889

Mage Forum Users, 1.3 Chloromancer Changes
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-changes/page5

Chloro Lock Healing Guide by Me
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...Leveling-Guide

Basic Easy Chloro Healing Guide by XtremElement
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...g-Guide-v.-2.0

Chloro healing guide by Oxybeles
    http://unstablerift.com/?q=node/429

Plane Touched

Thanks for this, it helps a lot. I think I may go ahead and give chloro a shot now.
    "Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory........"

Champion

This will help a lot of new players, however a couple of things you say are incorrect:

Bloom is a smaller single target heal, but it has a cooldown of only 10 seconds. Its healing got nerfed in 1.3, but it is still good to patch someone up.

Flourish is a group heal with a cooldown of 20 seconds. It's healing got buffed in 1.3 (probably to make up for our lack of AoE healing while using Synthesis and Lifebound Veil), so it now hits like a truck. Some argue that it so effective now, that it should be thrown into our regular rotation. I prefer to save it for when the group needs a heal though.
    -Bloom got a MASSIVE buff, not a nerf. Bloom is seriously awesome now. EDIT: Particularly in 51 chloro builds where you get some huge crits flying around.
    -Flourish was nerfed. Severely.

Other thing I would change is replacing Void Life as the default AoE rotation with the Vile Spores rotation. Void Life simply doesn't work very well in AoE rotations when you are actually taking damage and IMO VL should be the alternate rotation for those who prefer healing that way. The knockback from AoE damage cuts the tick rate of the heals to make it rather lackluster (affects it more than it affects Vile Spores), but it is difficult to show on parses, because the parses are all done static on the dummies. You can parse it tanking a mob in Stillmoor or something to double check. Also Vile Spores do more HPS (as you noted) and the HoT applied smoothes out the outgoing heals quite nicely. I guess that is all up to personal preference though and players can figure out what they like best by themselves.

I really like this guide, especially how you include to cast NT on opp procs in AoE and other important hints for players who may be looking to progress into raiding. Great work.
    Last edited by woopedazz; 06-24-2011 at 09:57 PM.

I just tried Chloro for the first time since the patch. T2 CC. Things went ok till the finally biss. I am mostly t1 geared, with a t2 staff and ring. The final boss was a ... not a nice lady. She had a habit of stunning me at the wrong time.

Any advice for that particular fight? I felt like a chicken with its head cut off. I was frantically trying to dispel and heal everyone at the same time. It took all the enjoyment out of being a chloro that 1.2 had.

Soulwalker

Excellent guide, but let me make a few suggestions.

First, Withering Vine only heals people who stay very close to the afflicted target, so it's not really a group heal. I've experimented with it a lot both before and after the patch but only found it useful when you need to maximize your DPS.

Second, you suggest the Warlock subspec as the only viable one, but I believe that 10 points in Dominator is a good alternative (personally, I like it much more then Warlock).

Sacrifice Life: Mana is not needed at higher gear levels (2 mana regen spells in Chloro tree are enough).

With Dominator you trade Opportunity procs for +10% Int. The int bonus provides a small but consistent healing increase, while Opportunity procs occasionally provide huge bursts. However, Opportunity seems to be fixed now, it doesn't proc more often then it should, and it will rarely proc exactly when you need the extra burst. Also, with Dominator you get a few great spells like Spell Reflect, Charged Shield and Memory Wipe.

Regarding Entropic Veil, most guides recommend using it every time you reach 100 charge, but I believe it's better to activate it when you need extra HPS (like when the tank or the group gets low on health, or you know that huge damage burst is incoming due to the encounter mechanic) and deactivate it as soon as you no longer need it. Entropic Veil has no cooldown now, and it's off the GCD, so you can activate and deactivate it as often as you wish. This technique also makes the extra charge bonus from Warloc soul less useful since you will usually be sitting at 70-100 charge anyway.
    Last edited by Malacar; 06-25-2011 at 02:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Nice guide thanks for the info
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Shadowlander

Thank you so very much, his clears up most of my questions. One thing though, I find LBV healing of the caster really poor. It heals the tank really well, but I have a serious problem staying alive...

Only thing is you missed on natural splendor, it is a very good aoe spell and will keep the tank up and deal very nice damage on aoe packs (5mans more so)

Nature's fury is also a very good spell to use now, it hits the same as nature's touch (maybe slightly more) and hits 4targets.

2 spells you should most definitely have in your aoe rotation.

edit: ooops seems you did have them, so just ignore me ^^; you do need to have more emphasis on those spells though, they are worth the emphasis with 1.3
    Last edited by Verez; 06-25-2011 at 04:22 AM.

Shield of Telara

I had been half Lock half Chloro since I hit 50 months ago. I really didn't want to change it but people are acting like 51 point Chloro is needed to get the best healing. In this guide it's saying the opposite which makes me bang my head on the table.

Anyone actually try the 33 Lock/33 Chloro post 1.3. I'm already nervous about hopping into a dungeon with 51/15 so I'd like some feedback from people that used it in the real world(ie...not target dummies)

I don't understand why you would do a Mouse Over Macro with Flourish. It's not a targeted spell.

Could somebody explain me please why this guide and blue dots guide iirc recommend Nature's Fury for healing if you have an aoe situation? It's nice for DPS but whenever i tested it, it seemed really bad for healing compared to other spells we could use.

GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11, 5/8 ID (HM, no-reflect Rusila). Recruitment is open. We are especially interested in a highly skilled mage!
    http://shoreline-guild.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ramea View Post
    Could somebody explain me please why this guide and blue dots guide iirc recommend Nature's Fury for healing if you have an aoe situation? It's nice for DPS but whenever i tested it, it seemed really bad for healing compared to other spells we could use.
    While the healing is lower, it does roughly the same if you have a full pack as each hit does a heal. Consider it to be like instead of 1 big hit, you get 4 little ones but they both heal the same in the end, maybe a little less but it's still an AoE damage spell which means the mobs die a few milliseconds faster. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumuji View Post
    I had been half Lock half Chloro since I hit 50 months ago. I really didn't want to change it but people are acting like 51 point Chloro is needed to get the best healing. In this guide it's saying the opposite which makes me bang my head on the table.

Anyone actually try the 33 Lock/33 Chloro post 1.3. I'm already nervous about hopping into a dungeon with 51/15 so I'd like some feedback from people that used it in the real world(ie...not target dummies)
    Essentially, if you are tank healing in an expert dungeon or a raid, you are going to need to be 51 in chloro to get Void Life, our new main filler spell (which proc's extra healing on the tank while in LBV), which a hybrid spec will not offer.

This comes as a result to changes in Synthesis and our veils. In either veil, Vile Spores (our old filler) does not really offer any more healing to the tank then it does to any other party member.

Now, if you are NOT the tank healer, and are either filling a support role, or are a raid healer, the old 3x/3x Chloro/Lock spec can still pull its weight (in HPS), with the added bonus of having more dps then a 51 Chloro role. But in this spec, the only spell you have that will be of any signifigance to the tank is Nature's Touch, which had its healing throughput nerfed in 1.3 (If I recall correctly, somebody crunched the numbers and came out to around a 38% loss or so). As it has a CD, relying on it to be your only tank healing spell is going to put you behind where you need in keeping a tank up in most encounters.

To the OP:
    And by the way, a good guide, minus the mix-up with the Bloom/Flourish changes. However, I have gone through all the T2's with a 10 pt Dom builld with success (although my guild is on hiatus for raiding until the 29th, so I can't speak for it yet in a raid enviroment).
    Last edited by LemmingOfEvil; 06-25-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    Experience debt is merely a gauge to show how much Awesome I'm generating.

Soulwalker

Thumbs up awesome!

thanks alot for this. having 4 specs and since mages had alot changed; i was not in the mood to try and figure out the new veils. at level43 I can't wait to get the 51 point talent. I was wondering why I felt like something was missing! haha

thanks again

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Biz11 View Post
    #show Soul Tether
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseover Soul Tether
    p casting rez on %t
    I'm quit sure this macro doesn't work as intended (%t is replaced by whatever you're actually targeting, not by the mouseovered player). Also it would be better to direct the messages to raid instead of party. This macro gives correct output:

#show Soul Tether
    target @mouseoverui
    cast Soul Tether
    raid casting rez on %t
    targetlasttarget

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast