+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mage guide on how to kill any assassin who opens on you.

Plane Touched

Default mage guide on how to kill any assassin who opens on you.

this is a solo spec in open world pvp for finishing quests or whatever you want to do but sometimes you know you will have to deal with assassin.

respec to those talents:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...aqxo.xtctVzk0s

when the rogue opens on you, cast in order:

break free
    death's grasp
    draining bolt
    lich form

if opprtunity procs, cast weather.

at this point he is sapped and will probably pop break free or the 5 sec anti magic immunity, pop shadow life, cast consumption and start running in circles. if in any case he wont break free, you control the fight and gain 2-3 seconds of tempo, once the magic immunity is done cast in order:

dark fury
    necrosis
    dark touch

by now the pet should get him down to 50%, if you get below 40% hp pop neddra's essence, but remember you need to time it almost exactly as you have enough charge burst him with soul purge (40% charge will do) basically you dont want to be exposed against him in melee range.

when he slips away, drop grave root, cast reconstruct and take a potion. there is a chance the consuption skill removed his hidden vail and he will reopens in 3 seconds. cast soul purge and its gg. even 30% charge will finish him. dont be afraid to see that his reopen got you down to 20%-30% hp, remember that you are buffed to 7k hp with shadow life still in background.

I am p5 geared atm, dualed plenty of p6 rogues and they failed every time unless i was afk or some sort have fun fishing assassins.
    Last edited by DontBluffMyJ; 06-24-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Shadowlander

Amazing a whole built to counter a rogue and the suggestion in short is: Pop all of your abilities that have cooldowns greater than 20 seconds.
    If a rogue shows up within the next 3 minutes ---> try to wear clean underwear so your relatives are not ashamed.

Thx bro, helped a lot.
    Last edited by Kido1983; 06-24-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Plane Touched

there still locks who are struggling against sins and will find this helpful. good sin will make you burn all your CD's and laugh at you, p6 assassin will kill any mage spec, except a well played lock so i hope i showed here how to do it right.
    Last edited by DontBluffMyJ; 06-24-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Soulwalker

I don't normaly post my builds because what works for me may not for others, and i'm greedy : P but i use this build in small BG's and have no problem with rogues at all. Infact the only thing that really gives me issues is a much better geared warrior. I generaly fight to a stalemate with clerics.

http://riftsoulbuilder.com/soul_buil...b01d3bfd064b93

Plane Touched

what is your rotation Millamber? i doubt its standing still and casting life leech/void bolt? i see no reason to spec for those talents in pvp.
    Last edited by DontBluffMyJ; 06-24-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Kido1983 View Post
    Amazing a whole built to counter a rogue and the suggestion in short is: Pop all of your abilities that have cooldowns greater than 20 seconds.
    If a rogue shows up within the next 3 minutes ---> try to wear clean underwear so your relatives are not ashamed.

Thx bro, helped a lot.
    This guy has the right idea, please mages, don't try to think up ways to win, just lay down.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by DontBluffMyJ View Post
    what is your rotation Millamber? i doubt its standing still and casting life leech/void bolt? i see no reason to spec for those talents in pvp.
    The class is maaly about survivability and 1v1 not about dps (though for whatever reason i top dps charts frequently) since i often top the dmg taken chart as well. I simply cast all 4 dots + nedra's grasp and keep myself topped up and use the insta cast DD's when cd's permit. I have 6500 hp with mediocre gear 2 heals, a cleanse, break free, and a root break combined with lifegiving veil and radiant spores i simply outlast people. Even under extreme focus fire i have 2 cooldowns that will keep me alive.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by DontBluffMyJ View Post
    there still locks who are struggling against sins and will find this helpful. good sin will make you burn all your CD's and laugh at you, p6 assassin will kill any mage spec, except a well played lock so i hope i showed here how to do it right.
    That's it. GOOD sins will never ever lose to you due to neddras essence. If anything they use vanish and reopen 15 second after first opener (cause of DR) to just kill you while stunned.
    I have been playing necro/lock for ages but even longer Pyromancer. My Mage is rank 6 and my cleric (i only play as inquisitor) rank 6 as well. There is NO reason to play the mage in pvp as it is now. My inquisitor is able to generate better and more often bursts than my pyro now uses to. The survivability with instant heals every 8 seconds is pervert. Wearing mail instead of cloth is a great help against any physical DD. Double knockback to get away from melee plus incredible damage and heal with vex. Furthermore the greatest aoe (pbaoe) in the whole game combined with the strongest range aoe (ticking every seconds fpr 500 instead of every 2 for 800 as my pyros does). There is no cooldown management required. The specc does not even include break free and even the best rogues i've met could not kill me in the stun - after i can instaheal myself and am able to survive until i can knockback even though the rogue popps magic immunity.
    There is nothing i could do better with my mage but support. At the moment i play my mage as archont in pvp, if i even queue with it. The survivability is a joke and all those rank 4 dudes beeing happy b/c they survive 7 seconds due to neddras every 3 minutes are just **** imho. Lock damage is easily neglected as soon as there is a decent amount of aoe healing up, just say 1-2 bards. You definately reach the highest damage numbers overall in warfronts just by dotting everyone but you won't effect anything but that number.
    The only spot i enjoy playing mage right now is when i got a pocket healer in port scion and using flawed aoe mechanic to double dip my aoe, which leads to 2 aoe ticks every 2 seconds (and yes, they patched it but it is still possible just by cancelling the channel manually and refreshing it).

I apologize for my bad englisch skills, i am from germany, so this is a foreign language for me.
    Last edited by Kido1983; 06-24-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Plane Touched

this is a solo'ing spec, for warfronts i play full dom (check my other thread in mages forum), where u got that i adviced to go play and warlock in warfronts to spread dots lawl? rerolling cleric is not an option since there mages already leveld up and grinded for our gear, if your answer for us not to suck is to reroll, get the hell out.
    Last edited by DontBluffMyJ; 06-24-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Shadowlander

Indirectly you told us to, yes. Because that whole specc may work against bad sins but also makes you a dot sprayer in every other situation. Well you are right with the dominator but even though, he needs massive backup because he is squishy as hell. As soon as your enemys know your name - which will be very soon if you are a good dominator - your only chance to survive is massive amounts of support and heal.

You seem to think that i am happy with what has been patched recently because i can play my cleric as well. But hell i am really disappointed. Raiding with a mage seems pointless unless playing the buffmonster archont. PvP'ing has just become a joke. The "glass cannon" thing has become ridicolous since the damage has nothing to do with a cannon compared to other classes and speccs (even more in pvp than in pve). People have been complaining about a burst class actually beeing able to burst and they fixed it. Now there is a burst class not able to burst with very poor sustained dps as well. Look at what they did with pyro in pve. They buffed it by a very large margin because the sustained dps was just a joke and even WITH those buffs it is not viable to play 51 pyro in pve. In PvP there were no sustained dps buffs but addiotional burst nerfs. This is just ridicolous and why did they do this? Because the majority of the playerbase had no gear, especially no valor gear, got into pvp with speccs that have no survivability and got ****ed up by the class that was intended to have the highest burst ingame. Wow, how surprising.

You want me to tell you that mage is not broken? I am not a liar nor a trion fanboy. Mages are kind of broken in pve and really, really broken in pvp. The frustrating thing is, that trion does not seem to see the problem, so this won't change in the future.

+ Reply to Thread