+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP issues discussion

Default PvP issues discussion

In an attempt to get our concerns addressed, I thought maybe a well thought out constructive post about the issues and suggestions for fixing them might be useful. Please don't turn this into an emo whine thread or post crap like "just reroll a rogue". Let's keep it as serious and constructive as possible and preferably just ignore the inevitable troll posts.

The main issues as I see them are as follows:

We have the least survivability and the least mobility of other classes and nothing to make up for it. The reason most people feel mages should have the highest damage and be the proverbial "glass cannon" is because of this tradeoff. We stand still with longer cast times on most of our higher damage abilities and we are probably the easiest class to kill unless we are specced for survival (I'll get to this in a minute). Basically we're trading being squishy immobile targets and getting nothing in exchange.

We are the only class that has to stand still for the majority of our most damaging skills. Rogues and warriors put out higher dps than us with almost exclusively instant abilities that can be used while moving. Marksman builds do have cast times but they are very short and they have an ability that lets them use those skills while moving in addition to multiple run speed buffs. We need some decent options that let us move and still deal reasonable damage.

Survivability is also seriously lacking. Yes, a P6 mage with a pocket healer can stand there and nuke away, but I hardly feel like the game should be balanced around the top 10% or so of players. The majority of us currently fold like paper under any kind of focused attack. Even if we manage to survive the initial onslaught, the CC changes have made it nearly impossible to escape and we don't have many ways to kill someone behind us as we're running due to the mobility issues I already mentioned. We do have build options that allow us to live longer, but at the cost of losing all burst damage capability. This means that while we might be able to live through several people beating on us, we're not gonna kill any of them either. 1 on 1 any intelligent player will just leave rather than let you slowly whittle them away since they can't kill you.

If our damage is going to be the same (or less as it is currently) as other classes then we need to have at least as much mobility and survivability as they do. Otherwise we NEED to be higher dps to make up for the sacrifices we are making by playing a mage. I personally believe we should have the highest damage output and be the most fragile class. That's the way it has always been and it is why mages are referred to as "glass cannons". If you're going to take our cannons away then we need to be less glass. Why would anyone choose to play a class that's the easiest to kill and does the least damage? We have never been higher sustained dps than the other classes, but we did at least have the highest burst and most effective aoe before this patch. Now we have neither.

My suggestions for fixing some of these issues are:

Give us damage to AT LEAST be on par with other classes. (I still feel that higher damage would be justified for the reasons I already mentioned, but I could live with at least having the same damage output.)
    - and/or -
    Allow us to be more mobile and less squishy along with making crowd control more effective again.

I also feel like the Stormcaller aoe nerf was completely unjustified. Do I feel that we should be able to wipe out entire groups? Absolutely. If they're dumb enough to stand there and take it then they SHOULD be wiped out. Any decent group will either spread out or focus the mage. If anything, the area could have been reduced and/or the mana cost increased so that we couldn't just spam aoe continuously. Those changes I could have lived with. The damage nerf was not an acceptable fix because again, it was one of the few things we had worth the trade off of being a mage.
    Last edited by Phated; 06-24-2011 at 10:50 AM.

So nobody has anything constructive to add?

Quite frankly I'm at least looking for some kind of hope that we'll get fixed in the near future. It'd make it a whole lot easier to swallow the fact that our only viable pvp builds right now seem to revolve around the necrolock or dominator (which I find incredibly complicated to play effectively).
    Last edited by Phated; 06-24-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Phated View Post
    We have the least survivability and the least mobility of other classes and nothing to make up for it.
    Stopped reading there. This thread is not constructive.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

+ Reply to Thread