+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warlock DoT/AoE Spec (For PvE 5-Mans)?

Rift Disciple

Default Warlock DoT/AoE Spec (For PvE 5-Mans)?

Hi everyone,

Since Warlocks appear to have gotten some love in 1.3, I want to try my hand with a Warlock primary spec again. I had tried this when I first started playing Rift, but shelved it because I couldn't find a good fit for my playstyle at the time that allowed me to survive (I'm not a fan of pets in general, but especially not the Necro pets). I know alot of people really dig them, but they're just not my thing.

I'm looking for a spec with good DoTs that also has a couple decent AoE abilities and doesn't rely on a pet. While I love stacking DoTs and following with a couple finishing nukes on single targets, I'm wondering if there's a way to deal with AoE fights that isn't just tab-DoTing pretty much the whole time. Perhaps some tab-DoTing to get started, but then AoE through most/all of the fight? Often times, trash pulls are over so fast that tab-DoTing seems like a big waste (DoTs should be allowed to run their course to be useful - otherwise, nukes are a better option).

It would also be nice if I could solo with this spec and have survivability. But that's not a requirement, just a nice-to-have. This spec's main purpose is for 5-mans in PvE.

I don't want to deal with pets at all in a 5-man. While I prefer not to have to use one while soloing, either - I can deal with that. I'm not a fan of the Necro pets, but I understand that there is great synergy between the Warlock and Necro trees, so not sure what other viable options exist for soloing. I'm tempted to go to 51 Warlock and put a few points in Necro and Elementalist to support it. Then again, Soul Purge is just really really yummy (though probably not needed in 5-mans so much).

What do you suggest that will fit my playstyle? Thanks so much for your advice!

Rift Disciple

/bumpity bump

Rift Disciple

Default If it's not stormcaller...

Less than 51 will be overall better, pick one of the specs already mentioned (I vote for 38/28). For AOE, with at least 31 in lock you can pick up radiate death. DT>Radiate Death> Spam devouring shadows till everythings dead. There really isn't much to it, or variety, or though, as DS is actually pretty good dps, just not stormcaller level. Individually dotting stuff will be a DPS loss, and I bet Grave Rot is too in pure AOE fights.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    Less than 51 will be overall better, pick one of the specs already mentioned (I vote for 38/28). For AOE, with at least 31 in lock you can pick up radiate death. DT>Radiate Death> Spam devouring shadows till everythings dead. There really isn't much to it, or variety, or though, as DS is actually pretty good dps, just not stormcaller level. Individually dotting stuff will be a DPS loss, and I bet Grave Rot is too in pure AOE fights.
    Thank you for your help

Having read this spec I moved a point from Empty the Crypts to Radiate Death in my NecroLock and it's working wonderfully. DT>RD>DS is pretty great as AOE, with Mortality for if you pull a few too many and need to suck back a ton of health.

It won't match Stormcaller but it isn't half bad, and perhaps with Empowered Darkness it'd be even better, so it's worth a shot. You can also Mass Fear and DoT stuff up if things get crazy with max Warlock I suppose, which is cool.

If I remember some other threads then I think single target 51Lock loses to 51Necro and hybrids, but it's not half bad, so I'd give it a go if that's what you like. I'd go 8 Necro for Necrosis and the possible pet mana battery (you don't even need to make it attack).

+ Reply to Thread