+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominator pvp 1.3

Soulwalker

Default Dominator pvp 1.3

Before I have played no-skill-qq-killall-pyro.

Now I want to try dominator. Seems like its viable and very different pvp soul than pyro. Ive been trying with it but im really lost. Do you guys have any macros to help or how do you play it?

Any help would be nice thank you.

I played Pure Dom 1.1 and loved it. 1.2 came along and pretty much killed the class.

1.3 has brought Dominators back to about 50% of what they used to be. The only thing holding this class back now is the borked CC mechanic they added in 1.2. When CC's get revamped(if they get revamped..) this class might actually be up to its full potential.

Couple of changes that are good:

Deny- 10 second cool down now. This is how you live. Used to be 45 sec cooldown. This ability is one of the best defensive abilities in the game. Removes ALL poison/disease/curses. Thats a pretty big deal. Also can cast on an ally.

Accelerated Decay is now a flat 25% cast/dmg decrease. This is huge. This makes Wardens and anyone else with a lot of instant cast abilities cry. Use it strategically as it is on a 10 sec cooldown.

Incompetence is kind of meh. The second part of it where it heals people really has no use as the heal is insanely low. The extra cost on abilities does hurt clerics quite a bit. I combine this with Void Shroud the 50% healing debuff, and Priests lament. Those 3 combined will shut down a cleric.

The new Interrupt added to priests lament and arresting presence is amazing. This means that even when immune to silence you will still interrupt them.

Stormshackle is the new jam. Spec into the talent and you will understand. More and more people will become aware of what this is because it does INSANE dmg now. It was critting for around 900 at 42 for me, no red ball.

Haunting pain is still meh. It was hitting for around 120-150 for me. Nothing to great, still dont see a reason for it. Maybe now that stormshackle is beast people might stand still for this...but who knows.

The new ability that replaced chastise is good. The mana drain could be a bit more, but it really shuts down warriors and rogues. Basically works like a transference for them. Against clerics combined with mana drain you can drain quite a bit of mana from someone.

Transference now lasts 7 seconds. Make warriors and rogues scream at you.

I was playing a Dom/storm/archmage build. I went 10 into archmage for the debuff, and 4 into storm for the crit. At level 42. The biggest issue with this build is survivability. You simply dont when people decide you must die, and they will sooner or later if you are doing your job correctly.

So i suggest a Dom/chloro build. I used to run it a while back. Having the 2 instant heals really help with keeping you alive and also add a bit of extra support to a support class. Not a bad deal. The problem with this spec is there is so many buttons to hotkey its ridiculous. You also get 2 reflects.

I will say this though. You know that op healer you dread to see in a BG? You cast Accelerated decay, priests lament, void shroud, incompetence and the new top talent(forget the name) and it pretty much shuts them down. The one I was playing against literally ran away when he saw me coming as he did not want a plethora of debuffs.
    Last edited by MicrowaveSeller; 06-23-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    SixtwoSix
    Level 50 R3 Rogue Tearfall -retired until Transfers.
    Level 31 Mage Briarcliff - Active.

Rift Master

It's worth doing dom with warlock for sure. If you can fit in necro - more power to you.
    Storm shackle is doing great dmg - if someone is aware they can stop the dmg by not moving but they haven't become accustomed to giving a crap about debuffs yet, they will.

Here's a tip for you - take at least up to the new heal skill - incompetence I think.
    Improve that too - it will put group heals out for you helping those around you. When you see someone doing mccrazy dmg thinking they are the cat's meow. Give that to them as a gift and let them heal you up.

The pets also do good dmg now too. Mine hit for 500s and crit in the 800s. That's 3 pets at a time so minimum 1500 dmg/2s(750dps) up to 2400 dmg/2s (1200dps) for your burst and they will chase a target but need to be still to cast. I didn't even have 1k spellpower and they did that so they can get better.
    I expect a nerf to them myself because they are pretty mighty but enjoy while you can I guess lol

As for macros nah - each player I fight differently.
    Last edited by Fernt; 06-23-2011 at 12:23 PM.

I play 38dominator/28stormcaller atm lots of groupwide spells, decent dmg, lots and lots of cc.
    But in general I would list Dominators strengths as so:

Strengths
    Great ability to change momentum in a battle for a team with its aoe ccs and debuffs (arresting presence, reflective presence, traitorous influence, etc..)
    Can shut down healing going to a team and take out key players. transference is also very useful against (mainly) rogue energy.
    Most solid against caster classes: mage and clerics- who its cc and debuffs are mainly targeted around, and can work in some pretty good burst dmg into its cc, especially with storm shackle and split personality off of cd

Weaknesses
    Has trouble against focused fire: it is a very squishy class with low hp, and who gets overwhelmed quickly by multiple opponents
    CC effectiveness is iffy because of widespread break free options, cures, class abilities, and quick immunities leaving it with little defensive options, especially on players who don't need to gap close.
    Least solid against stealth based rogues, long range melee, and champion imo
    Last edited by Inixia; 06-23-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Rift Disciple

if i have time tonight i might test out some dom builds!
    only one r6 mage was testing it out lastnight on my battlegroup and i kept slaughtering him and his team. so not sure how great it really is. though he was usually top damage on his team and "testing" a new build so....

i see some of u saying going chloro is a good idea with dom. wouldnt dominator stormcaller elementalist be much better?

im going to try and build something that has the damage reduction of elementalist but still has enough pew pew from dom and sc to be usefull. or try a dominator stormcaller archmage

imagine storm shackle and lightning strikes! with electrify debuffs! think i wont have enough points to do what i want but yea just a thought.

Domlock 32/34.

Very solid build. Lots of CC on both control groups. AE DoTs, Barbs. AE-interrupt charge dump, or reflect. Tank-buttons. Very capable in a group and solo.

Incoming + Outgoing heal debuff + 2* ability barbs makes clerics killable.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    Domlock 32/34.

Very solid build. Lots of CC on both control groups. AE DoTs, Barbs. AE-interrupt charge dump, or reflect. Tank-buttons. Very capable in a group and solo.

Incoming + Outgoing heal debuff + 2* ability barbs makes clerics killable.
    u keep posting builds with 34 lock. and going dark touch, grasp and radiant death build. when thats just padding damage that really isnt doing anything. when i first got 50 i used to do it all the time and never get many killing blows. had top damage most matchs. thinking i was awesome when in fact i wasnt doing a damn thing. that aoe isnt bursty enough and considering the aoe healing in the game is awesome. frankly its a waste of time and points. unless ur going 51 lock and dumping 1500 crits from your devouring shadows mixed with radiant death dots then its usefull. not to mention u almost completely skip vitality with ur chloro lock build. prolly do the same in your dom lock build as well.

dont meen to sound rude but... sorry.... damage padding is bad advice.
    Last edited by Fizbini; 06-23-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Telaran

Any advice for a Level 31 DOM PVP build? looks like fun!

Telaran

I went 51 Dom/15 AM last night and tore up scion. Very fun soul to play now.
    Scion Domination
    Last edited by seanthehulk; 06-23-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Pheowna | DPS Mage
    <Breaking Bads> 11/11 HK
    Guardian | Seastone
    3803 DPS Sicaron 11/2

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by nittinatti View Post
    Before I have played no-skill-qq-killall-pyro.

Now I want to try dominator. Seems like its viable and very different pvp soul than pyro. Ive been trying with it but im really lost. Do you guys have any macros to help or how do you play it?

Any help would be nice thank you.
    My spidey sense are tingling at the approach of a button mashing Cleric...

Dominator is definately a direct counter to any Cleric, no matter gear. As a Mage, AND a Cleric I'm fine with it. I'm not sure if I'll run the Dominator spec much yet, but who knows. I'm trying to get used to the new Chloro changes.

But for the love of GOD don't downplay the power of the Dominator now, it only makes you look foolish. <cough> Stewy.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

Shadowlander

Mass Betrayal is incredible against crowds of players. Has to be the best crowd dispersing spell in the game.

Soulwalker

Thank you all for input.

Question is that is there any way macro spells as dominator? Even 1-2 macros would help. Now I have just bars full of spells and really dont know what to spam.
    I didnt mean to troll (I understand it may sounds like one in op), but I really have been playing 3 button pyro before (heatwave,blastmacro, root) so learning curve is big for dominator.
    Pyro is easy but its boring also.

Thank you all for input.

Question is that is there any way macro spells as dominator? Even 1-2 macros would help. Now I have just bars full of spells and really dont know what to spam.
    I didnt mean to troll (I understand it may sounds like one in op), but I really have been playing 3 button pyro before (heatwave,blastmacro, root) so learning curve is big for dominator.
    Mate, you know that Advanced classes are 'Advanced' for a reason?

Probably of all the Mage souls, Dominator ranks up there as one of the most dynamic/situational classes to play, which makes macro-ing spells almost impossible. It is most definitely not a button-mashing soul, and one that you'll need to spend time understanding and learning all the skills available to you. But isn't that supposed to be part of the fun associated with playing an Advanced class...??

Plane Walker

Thank you all for input.

Not to sound offensive, but playing pyro with only those 3 bottons sounds horriblely wrong, like very much...

That aside, there are really few macroable skills for dom, maybe those 2 casted stuns, and maybe (but shouldn't be) punt (forgot name) + neural pod. Rest are way too situational, and I'd hate to press a macro and cast the first skill not on cd/castable to find it is not the one I need.

Try to use macros with cast [shift] skill_A, cast skill_B, cast skill_A. That can be a little more controllable, still, too many situational skills, better learn them well.

One last thing... if they ever fix haunting pain, it is gonna be a killer skill.
    Last edited by noche; 06-24-2011 at 02:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast