+ Reply to Thread

Thread: void bolt vs. fireball

Soulwalker

Default void bolt vs. fireball

I've read a few threads regarding the necro/lock. A number of posts always have void bolt being cast in between dot cycles. Why void bolt and not fire ball?

Fire ball is a stronger base nuke along with the insta cast flame bolt. Although fire ball doesn't get the improved death dmg buff from the necro tree I would still think either one of those 2 pyro spells are stronger (correct me if I'm wrong). Life leach is trivial since the pet will be doing healing upon attack so keeping life leech up is not my concern . . . should it be? Also, the opportunity proc comes along often enough so that fire ball becomes insta cast when used along with every other spell being cast on my bar.

Anyone else have thoughts on this, and possibly point out which spell is better to use in between dot rotations?

Rift Disciple

The biggest thing is the +15% crit rate of a fireball, but with opportunity it kind of evens out. The nerfed pyro so much that maybe you would do better just hitting voidbolt button over and over.

Ascendant

Fireball requires you to have pyro as third soul for one, and to put 5 points in it. Life leech is nice extra damage when you never have to refresh it. I'm not sure of the difference in casting time between both but it never even occurred to me to bother with pyro as a 3rd soul.

Rift Disciple

Void bolt faster cast if I'm not mistaken?

Soulwalker

thanks for the feed back.

I'm splitting the points evenly between necro/lock with emphasis on dps. The pyro tree has no points going into it as i'm only using fireball for opportunity procs while gaining a strong insta nuke in flame bolt.

Was fireball nerfed in 1.3? I was under the impression it was untouched, but I could be wrong. I feel the extra points in keeping life leach up and the extra damage you receive from its' tics fall short of the extra damage you could receive from allocating points into the necro soul or into more dps talents the lock soul.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html <-------------- what I'll be testing in pvp.

Theory crafted/ non tested build of course.

I plan on bunny hopping all the insta/ no look dots and turning around for the occasional stun and wither along with death's grasp to get the grave rot ticks going. New with the necro so I'm no expert on rotations yet but i have the basics down. Also allocate a point into Neda's Grasp and take a point out of symbiotic if you like.

PvP usage:
    Between drain bolt/ flame bolt/ opportunity proc fireball + 2x dots + pet dmg (w/e it will be) I'd think a decent warhorse could be built.

+ Reply to Thread