+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Power of the ELEMENTALIST!

  1. #1
    Rift Chaser Xamaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    382

    Default Power of the ELEMENTALIST!

    I can't believe this soul is so overlooked in PvP and PvE, it can me used as a main soul to AWESOME effect.

    Roll an Elementalist/Stormcaller/Chloro and you will be a mega pain in the backside in warfronts. Not the best and aoe damage but awesome and knocking individual players dead in no time.

    - We have the shield which is instant cast and on a 30 second cooldown, keybind this.

    -Then we have the passive buff which reduces the damage we take by 10% and buffs out pet by the same amount, this might not seem like much but it actually is ALOT.

    - Feat Icy Carapace, use it right after you cast crystalline missiles, combined they're like a 1.5second lightning strike in terms of damage but it can do more.

    - Charged makes your Lightning strike monster, also put five points into high voltage in the stormcaller tree for an extra 10%. Put 4-5 points into biting cold in the ele tree for more crit. Say you're on lvl 50 and your base crit rating is 20%, with points in all these other buffs that will give your lightning strike a 50% chance to crit! with 3 points in Tempest your crits do 30% more damage also!

    - Put 3 points into natures corrosion, this makes ruin a nice instant cast but decently hard hitting spell, don't overlook instant casts in pvp, they're really handy.

    - Put another 2 points into Arctic Chill in stormcaller so you get 'Icy Vortex', this is very handy for retreats.

    - Btw the greater air elemental really packs a punch when you put points into Force of nature, don't underestimate it. You could spec further into it but then you lose out on other things.

    - Use bloom and flourish in pvp to heal yourself. Put points into photogenesis so your radiant spores spread to different enemies. Use stream of reclimation as a backup.

    - 2 cc breaks, 1 root break on a 30 second cooldown and 1 cc break on a 60 second cooldown

    Im not going to ramble on, give this build a shot:

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...A0z.xdchmb0z.i

    You may wish to move some points around in chloro, for example lifegiving veil and synthesis, but this spec is not really intended to be for healing in particular.
    Last edited by Xamaron; 06-13-2011 at 05:18 AM.

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser Xamaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Sorry I forgot to mention that you can move points into Ashen Armour to make your pet harder hitting, comes in handy when combined with other talents.

  3. #3
    RIFT Guide Writer Redcruxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,935

    Default

    I think this build is confused as to what it actually wants to do...

    why go with a swiss army knife when you can have different tools that can all do better in their respective tasks?

    swiss army knife vs power drill
    swiss army knife vs machete
    swiss army knife vs scissors
    swiss army knife vs floss (the plastic toothpick is crap)

    which do you choose?

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser Xamaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    382

    Default

    lol, it might look confusing but it's what ive been using and it's actually lethal and can handle lots of scenarios. Perhaps it just works well for me. But its nice to be able to burn people down in a few seconds and at the same time be able to take one hell of a beating if I pop my cooldowns right.

    It can't 2 shot whole groups of players like a pyro, this build requires some brain activity.
    Last edited by Xamaron; 06-13-2011 at 05:37 AM.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    You're better off taking the 7 out of sc and putting 5 into AM for 15% increased dmg, break free, and gaining De-taunt. Moving one point into Elementalist for the pet sacrifice and putting 1 point back into chloro for stam increase.

    Unfortunately I've found there isn't enough umph in such a heavy elementalist spec without picking up a soul that has some serious dmg output that ele could compliment (i.e. sc).
    Last edited by Pyrial; 06-13-2011 at 06:02 AM.

  6. #6
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    647

    Default

    There are a couple of things that should change with Elementalist, pvpwise, and probably PvE too.

    -Burning Ground needs to do way more damage. At least double. It needs to be cast and has a cooldown. Standing in this should make you want to MOVE of the area.
    -Fiery Assault should not use charge, or do more damage, and/or make the Elementalist immune to control effects ala Bladedancer while channelling. It could be so much more.
    -Crystalline Missiles - give it a proper Spell power co-efficient please. Why Pillaging Stone is 40% while this is in the basement at ~22% is beyond me.
    -They screwed the pooch on the Water Elemental with the snare removal. Give it something else please. Even if it's a 25-30% heal debuff, just something that makes it worth using in PvP that doesn't put it in front of Air for PvE.
    -Sever bonds. Make it do what the tool-tip says.
    -Fire elewtfs: 3 minute cooldown? Should be 2 minutes max, or lower with reduced damage to compensate.
    Last edited by Mezkh; 06-13-2011 at 06:27 AM.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Shhhh... don't tell everyone. (PS. but I wouldn't use it for PvP, if I played PvP.)
    Last edited by ultrviolet; 06-13-2011 at 06:33 AM.

  8. #8
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    484

    Default

    GL downing ppl with that kind of dmg without AM. For soloing maybe it is good? The problem with CC breaker is the fact that with DR changes, your target is most likely to be running full speed immune to snares, and as you have no speed movement enhance skill (RTW, HW), no teleport (flicker), you will not be able to kite anyone. And for the survival CDs, icy vortex is the only one worth mentioning.

    Now the dmg part is just sad, read what Mezkh said. And no, that lighting strike is far away from being high upon crit. (After 1.3 it will be pretty much pointless though, 50% less crit dmg... lol...)

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser Xamaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mezkh View Post
    There are a couple of things that should change with Elementalist, pvpwise, and probably PvE too.

    -Burning Ground needs to do way more damage. At least double. It needs to be cast and has a cooldown. Standing in this should make you want to MOVE of the area.
    -Fiery Assault should not use charge, or do more damage, and/or make the Elementalist immune to control effects ala Bladedancer while channelling. It could be so much more.
    -Crystalline Missiles - give it a proper Spell power co-efficient please. Why Pillaging Stone is 40% while this is in the basement at ~22% is beyond me.
    -They screwed the pooch on the Water Elemental with the snare removal. Give it something else please. Even if it's a 25-30% heal debuff, just something that makes it worth using in PvP that doesn't put it in front of Air for PvE.
    -Sever bonds. Make it do what the tool-tip says.
    -Fire elewtfs: 3 minute cooldown? Should be 2 minutes max, or lower with reduced damage to compensate.
    I only use crystalline missiles in conjunction with icy carapace, in the meantime I use lightning strike, ruin and stream of reclimation to provide damage. I agree with what you said about Burning groud, its fairly underpowered but still really useful in PvE. I have never liked the idea of annihilating whole groups of players at once, I prefer to move around and use a few powerful spell combo's to knock people down.

    This build does really good single target damage in pvp, you wont dps quite as high as a straight out stormcaller or pyro but you get far better survivability.

    I prefer to gear and spec more for crit damage and crit rating than straight out spell power, although it is important to have a balance of both. I think it's really important to develope a build which is tailored to your play style, not some cookie cutter gank build which everyone uses.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xamaron View Post
    I only use crystalline missiles in conjunction with icy carapace, in the meantime I use lightning strike, ruin and stream of reclimation to provide damage. I agree with what you said about Burning groud, its fairly underpowered but still really useful in PvE. I have never liked the idea of annihilating whole groups of players at once, I prefer to move around and use a few powerful spell combo's to knock people down.

    This build does really good single target damage in pvp, you wont dps quite as high as a straight out stormcaller or pyro but you get far better survivability.

    I prefer to gear and spec more for crit damage and crit rating than straight out spell power, although it is important to have a balance of both. I think it's really important to develope a build which is tailored to your play style, not some cookie cutter gank build which everyone uses.
    Mind posting a video of you playing in this spec?

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser Xamaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noche View Post
    GL downing ppl with that kind of dmg without AM. For soloing maybe it is good? The problem with CC breaker is the fact that with DR changes, your target is most likely to be running full speed immune to snares, and as you have no speed movement enhance skill (RTW, HW), no teleport (flicker), you will not be able to kite anyone. And for the survival CDs, icy vortex is the only one worth mentioning.

    Now the dmg part is just sad, read what Mezkh said. And no, that lighting strike is far away from being high upon crit. (After 1.3 it will be pretty much pointless though, 50% less crit dmg... lol...)
    50% less crit damage? where did you hear these rumours they're not official? They would never reduce crit damage that much it would RUIN rogues.

    And by the way lightning strike is incredibly effective but you need to know how to use it properly. Cast intensify elements then a life spell to get intelligence buff before you use it for maximum damage. I agree about taking the Ride The Wind in the stormcaller tree instead of the sometimes faulty cc break, I actually use that alot but this build is new and im currently still testing it.

    If you want to try anything then take a few points out of chloro and all the points out of stormcaller and spec into Archon for an extra shield on a 30 second cooldown (2 shields :-) and Power Drain for better damage and survivability. But really those talents from stormcaller will serve you better.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xamaron View Post
    50% less crit damage? where did you hear these rumours they're not official? They would never reduce crit damage that much it would RUIN rogues.

    And by the way lightning strike is incredibly effective but you need to know how to use it properly. Cast intensify elements then a life spell to get intelligence buff before you use it for maximum damage. I agree about taking the Ride The Wind in the stormcaller tree instead of the sometimes faulty cc break, I actually use that alot but this build is new and im currently still testing it.

    If you want to try anything then take a few points out of chloro and all the points out of stormcaller and spec into Archon for an extra shield on a 30 second cooldown (2 shields :-) and Power Drain for better damage and survivability. But really those talents from stormcaller will serve you better.
    PTS notes, as it relates to the crit dmg reduction. Also, I still think you're better served moving those 7 points out of sc.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Menaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    To Play a PvP mage, and not have Archmage... is like taking a rubber chicken to a gunfight.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    To Play a PvP mage, and not have Archmage... is like taking a rubber chicken to a gunfight.
    Well, to be fair, "at least I've got chicken".

  15. #15
    Ascendant Menaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xamaron View Post
    lol, it might look confusing but it's what ive been using and it's actually lethal and can handle lots of scenarios. Perhaps it just works well for me. But its nice to be able to burn people down in a few seconds and at the same time be able to take one hell of a beating if I pop my cooldowns right.

    It can't 2 shot whole groups of players like a pyro, this build requires some brain activity.
    If you are doing well with this, you are either very lucky with your pugs, or you have 5 healers between you and your targets. "Taking a beating" should not be why a mage spec's. If you are "taking a beating," you do not play mage correctly. PvP Mages should hit hard, and die fast, and play evasive to widen the gap between the two. It sounds to me like you wanted to make some healing tanking casting cloth class, which in that case... the only thing missing is stealth, and grats, you've merged all 4 classes

    Your build can't out burst a Pyro/Anything in 1v1's, or debuff/control more than a SC/Dom.
    Add to the fact that you chose Chloro over a Break Free/+15% PvP dmg from Ach makes me question whether this is a troll or not...

    I don't see how your build is good for... anything. You are basically just spamming SC AoE's from what I read, which in that case, you could be a SC / Archon and still think your class is amazing.
    Last edited by Menaace; 06-13-2011 at 07:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts