+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Requesting the mage requirements for Greenscale

Telaran

Default Requesting the mage requirements for Greenscale

Hello everyone. My guild is preparing to take on GS and I'm in charge of our mages.

We're a semi-casual guild and I don't want to set the bar too high, but at them moment we don't even have enough DPS to take down the Duke.

Right now I'm only asking for 200-220 focus and at least 600 STDPS unbuffed. Will it be enough? Some of them are already having a hard time getting there...

I asked those who struggle with their DPS to respec into 34SC/32Ele, using parts of Deadlysight's guide to explain the rotations (thanks man, by the way). Some seem reluctant to make the switch, even with a simplified rotation that doesn't involve building storm and toggles - requires way too much timing to not negate eachother's building storm anyway.

One in particular, would like to stay Necro/Lock, but can only dish out 550STDPS on the training dummies with the following stats

Intelligence : 416
    Spell Power : 784
    Crits : 578

Can I accomodate him with an optimized spec/rotation and not force him to switch to SC/Ele? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by DKay; 06-11-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Soulwalker

First things first his Spell powers really low, getting him some better gear and essences could probably put him at the 900-1000 mark that would probably bring his Sustained DPS up to something you would rather have him dealing.

EDIT- Also BlueDot has a guide to a good Necro/Lock build i think i haven't looked at that as i usually just run the SC/Ele one.
    Last edited by MayaThi; 06-11-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Telaran

This is true, but with 466 spellpower (removed my staff) and using Deadlysight's rotation I was able to get 630 sustained DPS. I feel like they could be contributing much, much more without pushing too hard.

First time we tried the Duke, we hit the enrage timer at 19% of his health. I know he'd be easy as pie if everyone got into it.

Soulwalker

True deadly's build and even just the normal SC/ele rotation isnt too hard to do once youve had some practise and can easily put out 1.1k+ DPS with 900-1000 Spell power, but im sure BlueDots rotation and build for Warlock/Necro will parse nearly as good give or take 100-300 DPS and parsing at 900 is no bad thing for a guild thats looking to clear GSB its first time, im not sure how Gilded Prophecy is in terms of difficulty compared to GSB, but our guild has nearly cleared that with our DPSers at around 800-1.1k on most of the bosses, So im sure theres ways to get him up to a respectable 800 DPS or so without having to convert to Stormcaller.

Telaran

Default my thoughts on what you could do

Quote Originally Posted by DKay View Post
    Hello everyone. My guild is preparing to take on GS and I'm in charge of our mages.

We're a semi-casual guild and I don't want to set the bar too high, but at them moment we don't even have enough DPS to take down the Duke.

Right now I'm only asking for 200-220 focus and at least 600 STDPS unbuffed. Will it be enough? Some of them are already having a hard time getting there...

I asked those who struggle with their DPS to respec into 34SC/32Ele, using parts of Deadlysight's guide to explain the rotations (thanks man, by the way). Some seem reluctant to make the switch, even with a simplified rotation that doesn't involve building storm and toggles - requires way too much timing to not negate eachother's building storm anyway.

One in particular, would like to stay Necro/Lock, but can only dish out 550STDPS on the training dummies with the following stats

Can I accomodate him with an optimized spec/rotation and not force him to switch to SC/Ele? Thank you in advance.
    The Spell Power seems on the low side for going into GSB. I would make sure the whole group gets together every day and does raid rifts and buys the inscribed 10/100 essences. I think my soul machine gives me ~100int ~80wis and 50sp. It can make a big difference.

Can I assume you already have the required archon role covered and probably two chloros? I would prioritize those over mage dps.

Fully T2 geared (plaque items and instance weapons) with a good source engine should easily have you in the mid 900s for spell power and 600+ for crit. With those numbers in fights like Duke the mage DPS will exceed 1000 fairly easily. Before you hit those numbers though your are going to have very little wiggle room with enrage timers and with recovering from mistakes dealing with boss mechanics.

Split the raid into four semi-permanent five man teams that are required to T2 together gearing for their primary roles.

Rift Disciple

Only one of your SCs should bother with the building storm rotation since its too difficult to rotate perfectly with two (the max). If one of you gets off beat the rotation will die and you'll both do poor dps. Tell the other mages to run Sc/ele with the basic rotation spamming lightning field, lightning strike ect. It is easier to do and will net at least 600 dps easy.

Make sure everyone has the right runes on and most of the T2 gear they need and you should be good to go.

I'm currently setting up to build a new source machine using the +20 water resists for hammernell. Running the daily raid rifts each day will get you a lesser every 3.3 days. With 9 days left until 1.3 comes out you should be able to slot almost 3 new lessers each. (prices go up from 10 to 20 inscribed when 1.3 comes out so make sure you pick up your essences before then)

Source machine optimization is the best way to up your stats early on.

Quote Originally Posted by DKay View Post

My advice is to only have 1 mage run my rotation and have the rest run LS-LFx5.
    If your mages don't want to respec SC/Ele (I understand) setting the bar at 600 dps unbuffed isn't crazy. Tell your mage that's doing 550 w/Nec Lock to run T2s and he'll be over that 600 mark with a little more gear. Your requirements are almost exactly what my guild was looking for starting GS though, focus capped and 600 DPS
    Lee Trevino, on why he has never had a golf coach: "When I find one who can beat me, I'll listen."

Champion

my god what are you doing in a raid with less than 800 spell power, what did he clear 3 t1 instances and say hey im ready to raid!
    Shieldy 60 Warrior
    Gloredhel 60 Mage

+ Reply to Thread