+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terribly Confused! :'(

Soulwalker

Default Terribly Confused! :'(

I'm new! *waves*

I'm the type of player that likes to research their characters and try to get the best out of them in whatever game I play! Sooo I've been researching the Mage class and apparently Stormcaller is the way to go - Okie Dokie I'll go Stormcaller!

The problem is, I now have so much conflicting information I don't know what's right and what's wrong. And I have no idea how to test for myself anyway! is there a DPS meter in game? Or an Addon I can get? (Not that that'll help anyway, since I'm only level 24 and I can't find a test dummy for my level anywhere )

So let me get to my main problems:

1. Spec:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Akz.VztxMxcsbo

I've been told that this is what I should be looking at... Is this correct?

Rotation
    Completley Baffled by this:

5 Pillaging Stone (Ok with you so far)
    Next it should be...
    BOOM!!!! OH NO! Conflicting Information!?!?! >.<

- Some people are saying Raging Storm to get 3 stacks of Electrified, others are saying use Fork Lightning 3 times? Which one should it be? I've been using Raging Storm, as it seems to stack it quicker (although I could be imaginging it).

Next I should be using Iceshear, everyone seems to agree on this, followed by lightning strike - Ok I can do that. But then:

I was told to follow some persons guide named Bluedot - He/She says I should use Lightning Field 5 times? Other people seem to agree that I should be using Lightning Field, but they disagree on the amount - some say once, others twice? And for the life of me I can't understand why I should be using it at all? It does NO damage, NONE, whatsoever to an enemy.... So much so that I actually spammed it on a local wolf 10 times and it didn't pull?! The description reads:

"Instantly deals 39 to 43 Air damange to up to 10 Electrified enemies within 7 meters of the targeted enemy"

Well that doesn't help me when there is only 1 enemy boss - Why do I have to use it once? Let alone 5 times?

Next: Supposidly at this point I'm supposed to activate some buff like abilities that I don't have yet (Intensify Elements, Static Discharge etc) And guides everywhere seem to agree that I should be activating Static Flux which consumes my charge...fair enough.

But then lots of people are saying I should be using Building Storm, and Bluedot (who loads of people point me to) never even mentions it! And after this part of the rotation, the people who have activated Building Storm tell me I should do some other things with Arctic Blast, and others who follow Bluedot (and Bluedot him/herself) tell me I should go back to Iceshard and repeat my rotation?

You can see why I'm so confused... o.0

Gear:
    From what I've worked out and read on my own it appears that Wisdom and Intellect both give me Spell Power of equal amounts. So should I be gearing for both? Lots of people have told me to concentrate on intellect since it gives crit, where as wisdom gives me mana regen? Is this true?

Anyway - I hope all this made sense? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and replies!

Lots of Forum Huggles
    Towie

Ps. I have also bought another role. Which I am looking at turning into a support role. Apparently Chloro/Archon is the way to go with this one...Anyone got any guides on that? Thanks a bunch!

Rift Disciple

level 50 specs dont apply at level 24, stormcallers way too squishy to even attempt leveling as. go necro, spam soul purge.

Soulwalker

My guess is that you looked at all the threads and saw that Stormcaller was the highest DPS. Is that correct? SC is a fun spec to play - but it does have a finicky rotation, things go bad when your debuffs drop, and to be honest - it's hard to solo with it. My first suggestion, for leveling, would be to switch to something that is just much, much easier; Necro/Warlock, Chloro/Necro or Chloro/Elementalist comes to mind.

As for stormcaller leveling, your rotation should be simple:

3 stacks of electrified > Ice Shear > (Expose, if you took it in the Ele tree - I did not look at your spec) > Lightning Strike > Cloudburst Spam.

Lets be honest. You're leveling, and all Lightning Field is going to do is cost you an absolute boatload of mana. It does hit (slightly) harder than cloudburst, but we're looking for efficiency, not .0001% faster killing times.

As far as electrified goes, it's the same story. You're leveling! So use Raging Storm on cooldown. It puts up 3 stacks of electrified on the mob in 3 seconds. Thunderbolt is going to get you there in 4.5 - the GCD of the mage class is 1.5 seconds.

When you start to run dungeons and need to do more damage faster is the time for dealing with the rotation specifics - as far as leveling goes, just kill stuff quick.

As far as gear goes, raw Spellpower and INT are your two most important stats.

Any questions or need info on other specs, post.
    Last edited by Yinikren; 06-09-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Rift Disciple

Stormcaller, Archon, and Chloro are sort of a complex souls to play imo if you're new to Rift. Elementalist is more straightforward, also Necro/Warlock. I leveled a mage as Elem/Dom and it was pretty rock solid.

Plane Walker

Level as warlock/ele. Zero down time. Has a pet. Can aoe packs. Survivablity. Once you hit 50 then start playing with sc/ele for the dps title. Super squishy though. Work out your rotation on a test dummy before trying it out in t1/t2's.
    Last edited by Tarmalen; 06-10-2011 at 05:14 AM.

the spec you linked, is an endgame PvE spec

priorities are different at level 50, you dont need survivability and downtime is not an issue.

while leveling you want a survivable build, with no downtime and good single target and AoE capabilites

i suggest 21 necro / rest in warlock

most people won't make it to lvl 50 trying to use a squishy dps spec like pyro or storm, you will thank yourself in the long run for going necro/lock

also, before anyone else confuses you further

http://bluedots.org/category/mage-leveling-specs/

bluedot is a good resource for basic mage builds

Sword of Telara

i fully agree on the bluedot thing. definitely the first place to check.

i also didnt see anyone mention why youre issues with lightning field happened. lightning field does -zero- damage to anyone without electrified already on them. the reason you cast it 2-5 times is because you want to use it until your electrified stacks (3) are about to drop, getting off a raging storm or forked lightning before it falls (keeping the 3 stack up with 1 attack rather than having to re apply all 3).

Quote Originally Posted by Electros View Post
    level 50 specs dont apply at level 24, stormcallers way too squishy to even attempt leveling as. go necro, spam soul purge.
    What this guy said. If you want to try SC, wait until you can get high into the tree and run a dungeon with it. Even then you're still going to be another spec to level as. Necro / Lock is a great suggestion but there are many more such as Elementalist, Chlorolock, Pyro, heck even Dominator is better than SC.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Towie View Post
    I'm new! *waves*

I'm the type of player that likes to research their characters and try to get the best out of them in whatever game I play! Sooo I've been researching the Mage class and apparently Stormcaller is the way to go - Okie Dokie I'll go Stormcaller!

The problem is, I now have so much conflicting information I don't know what's right and what's wrong. And I have no idea how to test for myself anyway! is there a DPS meter in game? Or an Addon I can get? (Not that that'll help anyway, since I'm only level 24 and I can't find a test dummy for my level anywhere )

So let me get to my main problems:

1. Spec:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Akz.VztxMxcsbo

I've been told that this is what I should be looking at... Is this correct?

Rotation
    Completley Baffled by this:

5 Pillaging Stone (Ok with you so far)
    Next it should be...
    BOOM!!!! OH NO! Conflicting Information!?!?! >.<

- Some people are saying Raging Storm to get 3 stacks of Electrified, others are saying use Fork Lightning 3 times? Which one should it be? I've been using Raging Storm, as it seems to stack it quicker (although I could be imaginging it).
    as the others said, dont confuse solo exping builds with low level instance builds and edgame ones.
    but just to be tecnical:
    Raging storm ticks every second, forked lighting has a 1.5 cast time so with the first you'll get your three stacks in 3 seconds against 4.5s.
    _but_ raging storm its also one of your most powerfull spells, so if you use it with full elettrified stacks and ice shear debuff your dps will gain.
    chosing between the two its situational.
    also consider that Forked is aoe, if there's something else in range you'll get more than one target elettrified (not considering aggro problems for a moment here) - lighting field will hit only elettrified targets and if there are more than one in range will start bouncing, eating up your elettrified charges so you'll need to reapply them, losing dps.
    so often Thunderbolt, even if it has comparatively low damage, can be your better choice to refresh elettrified stacks.

Next I should be using Iceshear, everyone seems to agree on this, followed by lightning strike - Ok I can do that. But then:

I was told to follow some persons guide named Bluedot - He/She says I should use Lightning Field 5 times? Other people seem to agree that I should be using Lightning Field, but they disagree on the amount - some say once, others twice? And for the life of me I can't understand why I should be using it at all? It does NO damage, NONE, whatsoever to an enemy.... So much so that I actually spammed it on a local wolf 10 times and it didn't pull?! The description reads:

"Instantly deals 39 to 43 Air damange to up to 10 Electrified enemies within 7 meters of the targeted enemy"

Well that doesn't help me when there is only 1 enemy boss - Why do I have to use it once? Let alone 5 times?
    Lighting field do no damage against enemies without the elettrified stacs.
    this is why you use raging storm -or- forked -or- thunderbolt to apply elettrified.
    with full 3 stacks of elettrified, Lighting field will do a bit more damage than Cloudburst (your other spammable skill with high SP choeficient) and crit 10% more often from talents so more dps.
    your rotation is dependent on Elettrified stacs timers and ice shear debuff timer so after casting ice shear, ligthing strike you remain just with the time for 5 ligthing field before having to reapply elettrified - if the stacks are still up when you renew them you have to cast only once to reset the timer, if it fall down you have to reapply the whole stack so your dps will drop down.
    A LOT.

obviously if Lighting Strike is in cooldown you'll cast lighting field more than 5 times, till you need to reapply elettrified.

Next: Supposidly at this point I'm supposed to activate some buff like abilities that I don't have yet (Intensify Elements, Static Discharge etc) And guides everywhere seem to agree that I should be activating Static Flux which consumes my charge...fair enough.

But then lots of people are saying I should be using Building Storm, and Bluedot (who loads of people point me to) never even mentions it! And after this part of the rotation, the people who have activated Building Storm tell me I should do some other things with Arctic Blast, and others who follow Bluedot (and Bluedot him/herself) tell me I should go back to Iceshard and repeat my rotation?

You can see why I'm so confused... o.0
    you are confusing two builds and respective rotations.
    the one wich uses actic blast and building storm is a lot more complex than the "basic" one (wich is already pretty time-critical, let one debuff fall down and you'll do crappy dps), it gives you a bit more dps if you have really good equip but its also more difficult to execute perfectly and the penalty to fail even a single skill is bigger.
    start with the basic one, then once you are confortable with it, try the other.

Gear:
    From what I've worked out and read on my own it appears that Wisdom and Intellect both give me Spell Power of equal amounts. So should I be gearing for both? Lots of people have told me to concentrate on intellect since it gives crit, where as wisdom gives me mana regen? Is this true?
    if an item has more SP than wis or int, go for SP
    if it has more int than wis, go for int
    int gives you 1/2 SP, 1 crit (wich equal to 0.05% if I remember correctly) and 9mp
    wis gives you 1/2 sp and 1 mana every 10 seconds.
    mana regeneration is so low that nobody even consider it, you use yur skills to regain mana, potions or drinks.
    Ps. I have also bought another role. Which I am looking at turning into a support role. Apparently Chloro/Archon is the way to go with this one...Anyone got any guides on that? Thanks a bunch!
    chloro archon or chloro warlock, both are really good specs - the first a bit harder to use but, at least imho, more fun - at lower levels go for the chloro lock as chloro archon will miss some indispensable talents.
    this forum is chocked full of guides for chloros, do a little research.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Ascendant

if you're a noob don't play stormcaller while leveling. you don't even understand electrify stacks.

IMO re-visit when you're done leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    if you're a noob don't play stormcaller while leveling. you don't even understand electrify stacks.

IMO re-visit when you're done leveling.
    If you're an immature, unhelpful person, don't play Rift. You don't even understand that you're giving gamers a bad name.

IMO, re-visit when you've hit puberty.
    The very existence of flame throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggyFu View Post
    If you're an immature, unhelpful person, don't play Rift. You don't even understand that you're giving gamers a bad name.

IMO, re-visit when you've hit puberty.
    stormcaller is a somewhat difficult spec to level in. I offered good advice. you just attacked me for no other reason.

I call shenanigans and invoke the forum mods!

Soulwalker

Thankyou for the replies everyone they were most helpful!

+ Reply to Thread