+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My mage rant, since Blackweb asked...

Default My mage rant, since Blackweb asked...

First off, I am both an avid PvPer as well as PvEer, so my suggestions try to keep both aspects of the game in mind. The following post pertains to mage souls only. Yeah, I know other callings have issues. Other callings need buffs or nerfs here or there for one reason or another. This post is in the mage forum, so let me preface this by saying "I don't care, and if you really want to complain about rogues, warriors, or clerics, go do it in your own forums". It's a sad fact that mages aren't able to discuss anything about their favorite calling in their own boards without someone from another calling trolling the threads and complaining at length about their calling's shortcomings and why our calling deserves to suck because warriors don't have enough viable builds, and rogues don't want to compete with us for DPS slots, etc. etc. You people have your own forums to make your own suggestions about your own callings. I promise, I'm not going to come dump on them because mages are more important than you, or whatever banal reasoning you have for trolling our boards.

Having gotten that out of the way...this post is going to be pretty longwinded and filled with my own opinions on how to change/balance mages for the better. There's going to be some rants and some rather blunt statements here and there, so you'll have to forgive me for that I guess. I don't sugar coat things very well.

While most players look at the soul system we have and demand more synergy so that they can min max hybrid builds and carve out niches for themselves as "best heal build", "best DPS build", etc., I think we lose sight of balance along the way. I think the reason for us wanting more synergy is that the higher tier powers in many cases are poorly designed or poorly implemented, and we just don't want to feel like we're wasting points. However, while min maxing is great in terms of making the best out of what we have, it's also what has lead us to where we are now. Creative uses for soul talents in hybrid builds leads to Trion nerfing us. Mages have struggled since beta with synergy due to a number of nerfs across all of our souls to cut back on hybrid effectiveness. Anyone who remembers the old tempest knows what I'm talking about, and more recent use of burning purpose with building storm and plague bolt should be something many players who signed on at launch have heard of. Trion has made it a point, at least where mage souls are concerned, to put the real key/useful talents and abilities deep into the tree while sadly neglecting many 38, 44, and 51 point powers, or just flat out nerfing some abilities into the ground to avoid unexpected synergies. These practices are causing the mage calling to begin lagging behind the other callings in key areas. (more on that later)

We haven't reached a breaking point yet, but it's getting irksome. Too many of us feel like we're not being heard, or that Trion isn't communicating enough with us about their idea of where mages should be and what they should be capable of. I submit that Trion has made a few points clear and is still working on the situation. Trion has told us indirectly that effective (some would argue over effective) hybrid builds are not allowed and need to be nerfed, while telling us directly that they do plan on making 51 point builds more effective eventually.

So, where do we find balance? Is it in creating synergies that make any combination of the souls we have useful yet not overpowered? (a clearly difficult task to say the least, but a wonderfully ambitious one) Or is it to create more viable pure spec builds, and less powerful but more useful hybrid builds? I personally believe that pure spec builds should be more effective at their chosen roles than hybrids, but with less utility. A pure spec chloromancer should outheal a chloro warlock hybrid, just for the sake of an example. A balance model based on this will be easier to achieve, but will unfortunately detract a bit from Rift's "combine anything you want" theology. Well, the way I see it, if combining things how we want is going to get us nerfed because it pushes our effectiveness up to near "best in class" status, then it seems clear that we aren't allowed to combine anything we want. If that's the case, and we want something more balanced, then we need to evaluate each soul on it's own and how effective it is on it's own. Synergies should still exist, but since some of our key synergy abilities that we use today for hybrids (tempest and warlock armor) are so deep in their respective trees, it will keep them away from deep spec builds who would be overpowered if balanced in the ways I would suggest. It's with this in mind that I have come to the opinion that souls should be balanced at the 51 point level first, and finding tier 1-4 synergy with other souls should be considered only after each soul is shored up properly on it's own. I suspect that was how the souls were designed originally, and sadly we seem to have gotten away from that. Balancing is always a process, never a goal, so with that in mind I've decided to try and give some constructive suggestions and criticisms here.

Dominator:
    Make no mistake, for mages 1.3 will be the rise of the dominator. If you can't find anything else to be excited about with mages in Rift right now, get excited over this. The changes on the PTS are looking great in light of the way CC has been implemented and subsequently nerfed in 1.2. Dominator is having some of the clunky and useless CC taken out (overpowering will ,disorient, the old priest's lament), it's mostly useless regen mechanic (iron will) replaced with a wicked debuff and AOE party heal, and it's signature abilities (chastise and draining presence, previously PVP only powers) replaced with what I feel are better powers that work in PVE and PVP. These new abilities will attack core mechanics (power/mana/energy regen drains and blocks) rather than deal with CC in it's current form (and thus NO immunity) plus we'll be getting significantly better damage scaling and output through spells like storm shackle/microburst and split personality. The implications and possibilities for PVP are obvious, but even in PVE we may see some serious utility being brought about with Dominators. We can't CC a boss, but it may be entirely possible for us to slow down his casting, force him to heal us when he does damage to us, and even possibly reflect some of his spells back at him. If Trion has been listening to us in terms of making Dominator PVE viable, and all signs point to the fact they have been, then we may be in for some real surprises. It's unknown at this time if the new dominator powers are going to work like this in a raid environment, but I suspect it's highly likely that they do or will in the future. Hopefully someone from the community can get on the PTS and test this stuff out, especially any of the bigger guilds currently testing hammerknell.

So, that about sums up the "good". Now for the tough love.

We have 2 support souls, 1 healing soul, and 4 DPS/offensive souls. In a perfect world, you would be able to PVE or PVP with any of them, and manage to do alright. The reality check is that we have (up until now) 1 useful support soul for PVE that's not great at all for PVP, and one mostly useless support soul for PVP that is almost completely useless in PVE. We have 1 healing soul that is useful in a raid but never more than 2 are needed, and in PVP...well, chloro's a mixed bag. We have 1 DPS build that is a combination of 2 DPS souls that is on par with top level PVE DPS, 1 hybrid that does about 25-40% less damage than the previously mentioned hybrid, and the rest are all trash. (I know, you warlock and necro enthusiasts get bent when someone tells you that your favorite soul is trash in PVE, but for raids..well..it just is. 1k DPS is not acceptable when other DPS slots are pulling 2k. It's just how it is, don't shoot the messenger) To complicate matters further, most of our souls have the same problem that most souls in the game in general have. TOO MUCH CC, packed into every soul. The game was rampant with it at launch, and it's because of this overabundance of CC in every soul that makes some of them even harder to balance. (It's my opinion that no soul should have had more than 1 CC option in it's arsenal, with the exception of support souls.) With this in mind, here's what I'd like to see change. This will read as a bit of a "mage's dream patch notes" that in some cases couldn't exist without other callings being given the overhauls they need alongside of this, so keep that in mind.

Archon:
    As our primary support soul for PVE, it has a few shortcomings. 1, there's no need to ever bring more than 1. 2, it's survivability is quite low in PvP. This is primarily due to a lack of defenses, healing, and crowd control. These things can be shored up with hybrid builds, but will largely detract from it's ability to support a group if you steal points away from it.

As a support role, you are expected to help keep others alive, help them do damage while you yourself likely puts out less damage on your own, or hamper the enemy enough so that your team comes out ahead. To date, archon has been mostly about helping your team do more damage while you sacrifice your own damage along with some relatively minor buffs to survivability for your team at the cost of your own survivability. Overall I think Archon is pretty well designed, as it's one of the only good 51 point soul builds we have, but it's not so good in PvP as a 51 point build. So, my suggestions are as follows:

Consuming flames: Shrouds your ally or yourself in protective flames. Any time the recipient of the buff is hit, there is a 3% chance that consuming flames will proc a damage shield that will absorb up to 3% of the Archon's maximum mana pool. Can only affect 1 target at a time, and can not be stacked with other Consuming flames effects. (think defensive synthesis)

Martyr's Solace: 3 point talent. Increases the damage absorbed by Consuming flames by 3/6/9%, and the proc chance by 2/4/6%. Reduces the Archon's maximum health by 4/8/12% for each point spent. (this will keep it away from burning bright pyros)

Lava field: removed, replaced with Earth's Embrace: An earth based AOE that works the same way as lava field, with the following change. 15 second cooldown. Allies within the earth's embrace receive a stack of the Earth's Embrace field buff each second, which increases the effect of healing spells that land on them by 2% each stack, max 5 stacks. These stacks last for 10 seconds. (and are not removed for each heal that lands as they do with lava field)

Healing Flames: Removed, replaced with Healing Embrace: 2 point talent. Increases the duration of the healing bonus provided by stacks of Earth's Embrace for 2 seconds.

Power in numbers: 2 point talent. Allows multiple archon auras to stack, but reduces their effectiveness to 55-60% if another archon is present. Increases spell damage and healing by 2-4% for each archon aura active in the group.

These small changes will make archons more valuable in numbers to a raid, help their pvp survivability, and do so without increasing their damage much beyond what it currently is.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 06-09-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Chloromancer:
    Tanks love us, and clerics hate us. Our main job is to heal, yet with only 18-22 points invested, we do about as much healing as we need to do in order to function in PVP or PVE. Creative hybrids with elementalist, archon, and warlock can provide better HPS and DPS than a pure spec chloro in the hands of a talented mage. This shouldn't be happening, at least not in terms of HPS. Any chloro that wants to maximize DPS should suffer in terms of HPS. Natural Splendor and Void Life try to accomplish this, but fall short of the mark imo. There are also a few talents and abilities that are poorly implemented and could be done away with entirely. So, changes:

Call of spring: Moved to tier 6 to swap places with Wild Growth. 5 point talent. Should affect ALL healing effects caused by the mage from any source. This should include LGV heals.

Life giving veil: Should no longer be a castable buff, it should be a passive mechanic or "always on persists through death" buff for anyone with the chloro soul active with 10+ points in the soul.

Synthesis: Remove "can not target the mage" stipulation. Increase cooldown to 45 seconds. (this helps keep them from tanking anything they want in PVP and keeps purge as a viable counter to the majority of chloro healing, especially self healing)

Living Shell: Removed. Replaced with: Photosynthesis: Passive. The healing power of the Chloromancer becomes more fluid, causing the most damaged person in range of the chloromancer's life giving veil to receive a heal over time for 125% of the damage caused by nature's touch over 15 seconds. This effect does not stack, and can not affect anyone with Synthesis.

Blight: 30 seconds CD. Plants a parasitic seed within the target for 8 seconds, causing any healing affects used on the target to bleed outward, healing the chloromancer's allies for 25% of the effect of the heal used and reducing the effectiveness of the heal on the intended target by 50%. This effect can not be cleansed. While active, the chloromancer's life giving veil suffers a 25% reduction in effectiveness.

Destructive Growth: Removed, replaced with Strength of the Oak: 2 point talent. Increases healing spells and effects by .3-.6% for each point invested in chloromancer beyond 25 points

Void Life and Natural Splendor: Both spells have their CD's reduced to 90 seconds.

Elementalist:
    An undervalued pet DPS soul that is used much more widely as a secondary dip soul than a primary soul. It's primary design revolves around strong nuke capability with the pet as a form of supplementary DPS with buffs/debuffs for the mage's benefit. In the interest of making the soul itself more viable in terms of DPS output without having it overpower common hybrid builds like stormcaller and pyromancer, I make the following suggestions:

Crystalline Missiles: Increase the base damage of Crystalline Missiles by 10-15%, or raise the coefficient from 28% to 42%. (this will allow it to do slightly higher damage than pillaging stone)

Abrasion: 2 point talent. Gives your crystalline Missiles a 5-10%% chance to tear open gaping wounds on the enemy, causing the target to physically bleed for 10-20% of the spell's damage over 6 seconds

Ignite: Creates an unstable pocket of superheated air around the target, causing the initial damage to the target that it does now, and procs again for the same damage every time the elementalist's pet strikes the target again for the next 10 seconds. DoT component removed.

Fiery Assault: Removed, replaced with Volcanic Fissure: Functions the same as Fiery Assault, but instead of a cone effect infront of the elementalist, it would be a targeted ground based AOE. In addition, any target within the fissure currently affected by Ignite will suffer damage from ignite as if the elementalist's pet had just struck him each time Volcanic Fissure 'ticks'.

Elemental forces: Swaps places with Sever Bonds as the current 38 point talent. Reduce the amount of charge drained while this ability is active, or allow charge to be gained while it's active similar to Corrosion or Wild Growth from Chloromancer. Allow it to proc damage every time an elementalist spell causes damage (but not abrasion bleeds), be it a tick from burning ground or a tick from "Volcanic Fissure".

By changing elementalist in this way, lower tier spells that a pyro hybrid could get like Volcanic Fissure and Burning ground would only see their full potential in the hands of a 38+ point elementalist, thus keeping them from being overpowered when coupled with pyromancers. Pyro or Elementalist should be a choice, not a 32/32 pryo/ele split the rule as it is now and even then still 500 DPS behind our only currently competitive DPS option.

Necromancer:
    Necro is "all about the pets", leaving the necromancer's primary job as a debuffing babysitter. Hybrids switch this play style up of course, but for a pure necromancer build to really shine it needs to play to it's own strengths in such a way that a hybrid build can't capitalize on it and become overpowered. It's also riddled with sub par talents, and even 1 or 2 nearly useless ones.

Plague bolt: Lower the cast time to 1.5 seconds.

Deadly Plague: Same as now, but also gives a 10/20/30/40/50% chance to "fork" into 2 more plague bolts hitting nearby targets for 50% damage, thus spreading deathly calling faster and giving the necromancer something useful to do inbetween debuffs as well as an incentive to cast plague bolt over void bolt.

Detonate Bones: 3 point talent. When your undead pet dies it has a 33/66/100% chance to explode, dealing damage equal to 3/6/9% of the necromancer's total mana pool to everything within 7 meters of the dead pet.

Empty the Crypts: Summon's 5 Shambling corpses who act in concert with your controlled pet for 30 seconds. At the end of the spell's duration, any remaining corpses immediately die. (rather than despawn, thus causing detonate bones explosions)

Death's Grasp: Removed, replaced with Undead Mastery: The necromancer is now able to maintain 2 undead minions.

Corpse Explosion: removed, replaced with "Arise": Instant, 10 second cooldown. Curses the enemy for 20 seconds. If the enemy dies while effected by Arise, their corpse reanimates into an uncontrolled shambling corpse for 30 seconds. At the end of that 30 seconds, the shambling corpse dies. (rather than despawn, thus causing detonate bones explosions)

Mass Grave: CD reduced to 3, possibly 2 minutes. 5 minutes makes this one of the most unattractive 51 point abilities in the game.

So, yeah, pets and death. All pretty self explanatory. Damage values on Detonate Bones may need to be tweeked to allow necromancer to be competitive at end game levels.

Warlock:
    It's our dot class, and the dots just don't do enough. It's a better secondary class as it stands right now, mostly for utility and survivability reasons. It's PVP applications are obvious, but it's effectiveness tapers off past 38 points. In PVE it just doesn't do enough damage on it's own, it's CC is pointless, and it's survivability mostly meaningless. This soul has alot of utility in it, and that makes it hard to balance considering it's popularity as a base for hybrid builds. I personally believe the soul is weighted down with too much CC, too much survivability, and not enough damage to be a truly offensive/DPS soul. It's more of a utility/defensive soul, but that's not a category and I'm not one of those mages who thinks that it's perfectly fine for warlock to be a poor stand alone soul or that mages need a tanking soul. In keeping with the spirit of the soul, I make the following suggestions so as not to change it too much but to allow it to do better DPS as it's current DPS is far behind that of other DPS callings and souls. Your mileage may very on these suggestions, and hey. That's fine if it does.

Neddra's Torture: 1 second cast, 30 second cooldown: Curses the enemy, causing any active dots on the target to reapply themselves with +10% damage for 15 seconds. This affect overrides the dot's original duration while Neddra's Torture is active.

Neddra's Influence: Recoded to work with any DoT spell from any other mage soul.

Dark Fury and Improved Dark Fury: Removed, replaced with Mass Fear (original 44 point mass fear removed), and Improved Mass fear:

Mass fear: Instant, 30 second cooldown. Strikes fear in the heart of up to 5 enemies near the caster for 10 seconds. Damage will break the effect.

Improved mass fear: 3 point talent. Increases the number of targets feared by 1/2/3, and to only break after the target has taken damage equal to 2/4/6% of their maximum health.

New 44 point talent. Shadow Walk: 2 minute cooldown, 1.5 second cast. 15 second duration. The warlock becomes incorporeal, unable to be seen by the naked eye. While in this state, the warlock can see anything hidden in the shadows (anti stealth) as well as the souls of the dead. Any damaging affects or buffs are shed during the transition, and although the warlock can not be seen or hit by any offensive action, any offensive action taken by the warlock will immediately cancel this affect as soon as they are finished. (this would allow a warlock an attempt to attack another stealthed creature/player and bring both of them out of stealth)

Empowering Darkness: Passive. This ability increases the damage of all Warlock dots by 75%. This ability stacks with Neddra's Influence.

It's possible that Shadow walk might be a better fit for the PVP soul, but I rather like it in warlock. It fits the theme, and has sufficient drawbacks to keep it from being overpowered. (it's 44 points deep in a tree, and impossible to improve to permanent stealth) The main thing that would have to be tested here is the outcome of buffing NI and ED on the dot damage. Even though 10% and 75% may sound like alot, warlock DPS overall is pitifully low when compared to raid level DPS. Those numbers may in fact need to be increased, but they're a good baseline to start from.

Pyromancer and Stormcaller have been discussed at LENGTH over the past 2 weeks on the boards, and I see no reason to really go over them again in this thread. Needless to say, I feel like the nerf to stormcaller is unwarranted on PTS, especially if warriors and rogues are going to see any buffs to their lesser essences or obviously buffs to gear in hammerknell. The nerf will likely let us break even while they pull further ahead of us, and that sickens me. I didn't sign up to be a mage in rift to tank, or heal, or be someone's buff *****. I came here for the same reason many of you did, for the same reason we play mages in every MMO. To smash things, and do it with lots of flashy lights and the lamentations of our victims.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Interesting write-up TheLeviathan, I agree with you on many points. Something I'm not too sure about is what you state about pure specs though. Yes they should be just as viable as hybrids, but I'm not sure wether they should be more effecient at their chosen role. I think a Chloro/Lock hybrid should be as effective as a full chloro, because both would have about the same utility. For example a hybrid would get his mana from sacraficing life, where a full chloro would get his mana from Empathic Bond and Living Shell. Although, to compensate, a full chloro would need a deep spec healing increase to living veil. Your solution would work, or maybe it should stay a t3 or t4 talent, but should affect all heals and a certain percentage per point in chloro.

I like your purposed changes to warlock, I agree that dots should do alot more damage in pve, although im not too sure wether your changes prevent a whinefest from pvpers. Maybe the dots should scale over time, or after multiple appliances? Or void bolt should have a chance to refresh all dots, allowing more active damage and not simply juggling dots all the time, or maybe Neddra's Influence should be able to be stacked on a 10-15 second CD? Im just throwing out some ideas.

I think devs should have a read through your rant/ideas, theres some real merit to alot of them. I just freaking want them to know, that our other souls are way under par at this point in time.
    Last edited by Nupzs; 06-09-2011 at 03:13 PM.

pro

I agree with everything except the debuff on aura"s when there is more than one archon. I think it the effectivness shouldnt be decreased by anymore than 40%. And Stormcaller was completely untouched i mean its a AOE soul who cares about its single target. And i loved the part about warlock it is in major need of a massive buff but i would like to see step into shadows put on a 30sec cd with a 30 sec duration and put in the Archmage tree in place of the stealty reveal there currently in the 3rd tier. Because currently there 0 reasons to even go on that side of the tree.

Sez

Long-winded perk that all mages get at level 1.

Just playin' Levi
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Plane Touched

Wonderful Ideas. Many are similar to what I was thinking should be done though I never decided to make a forum post.

Just one idea I had that I think you might like. Make Elemental Forces affect both the Mage and the Elementalist Pet.
    People use the words "casual" and "bad" interchangeably, when in reality we should not. A casual player in an mmo is someone who plays the game but due to outside events cannot play it for long periods of time. A bad is a player who stands in the fire, ignores boss mechanics, complains about the former, makes nonsensical statements, wants to be pandered to, and all around tanks most mmos.

Its like if I pay to take a college course that I know is supposed to be hard and instead of taking it, I complain and bother the professors that it is to hard. I dont study, I dont practice, I just complain. After all I am paying for the course so I should get an A+.

I have not see mmos go harder only easier. I dont think for a second that trion is "pandering to the casuals that ruin our games", no I think it is that trion is making mistakes and feels that the bads who play their game for 3 months and leave are worth more than those who play for the entirety of its life.

-Robertosaget

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    I agree with everything except the debuff on aura"s when there is more than one archon. I think it the effectivness shouldnt be decreased by anymore than 40%.
    Power in numbers: 2 point talent. Allows multiple archon auras to stack, but reduces their effectiveness to 55-60% if another archon is present.

This means that a total reduction of 35-40% depending how many points you put into power in numbers to the aura's base effect, and then stacked with another version at the same power. So two 51 point archons would be esentially providing a 20% buff to the auras we get in raids now.

The math/mechanics behind this would need to be made in such a way that they weren't additive past that as well, or else three archons would provide a +180% effective aura, and it would get out of hand rapidly from there.

I really am starting to think there might not be a solid line for balancing with sp/ap scaling as it is with mage. Because our dps really accelerates with the upper levels of sp plus groupwide buffs in raiding relative to other classes, its caused a lot of issues (such as pyro plus red ball for example ^^). Do you balance it at the very highest levels of raiding? therefore making mage dps subpar to anyone except with the most priveleged (in terms of gear) mage dpsers? or do you set the bar lower making mage at the highest level outdo some of the other classes (complaints ensue) for the sake of the avg raiders viability? If the sc changes go live though without the other dps souls being boosted even at those top lvls mage will be subpar too :/ I really think one of the biggest solutions to mage dps in the long run is to make ap and sp scale better with each other.
    Last edited by Inixia; 06-09-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Plane Touched

awsome ideas, esp for necro and warlock tree, both souls need more dps love.

Shadowlander

This is a good post. All great ideas and you definitely have the right mindset. I hope some devs read this and consider your/our point of view.

Sez

Oh I got side-tracked making fun of levi. I had an actual point to make:

Get this information to the Alpha forum. If they open up a "Class discussion sticky" slap this there as well.

If they call it spam, oh well.

For great Justice!

For those wondering why I am being helpful... I have a mage alt :3
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    For those wondering why I am being helpful... I have a mage alt :3
    Thank you for contributing lol.
    Great ideas as always lev. I would love to see these changes considered by Trion. Very shagadelic mate.

While I generaly tend to be disruptive and attack contributing, well thought out posts, I think this was a nice writeup levi. Good to see reasonable adjustments that dont amount to "MY FUMIGATE NEEDS NO COOLDOWN OR CHARGE COST AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO KILL PEOPLE IN GHOST FORM"

Shadowlander

in my opinion- they should make our dot tree our highest "dps" tree. high sustained dps with damage over time and channeled spells wouldnt be as op as say massive burst and aoe dps from pyro and sc in a pvp scenario.

I'd love to see Wild Growth without a cooldown, able to toggle it on as long as you have the charge for it. Would have you make a decision between doing more damage (E. Veil) or having some extra healing when you don't have a target to attack.
    <Disturbance> @Vigil
    Had a dream, I was King; I woke up, still King.
    Wizards never die.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast