+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you AoE grind/level?

Default How do you AoE grind/level?

I've been trying to find a smooth, no downtime, AoE grind rotation. No luck. Playing my warrior or cleric is very straightforward (few macros, 4-5 mobs at a time, zero downtime).

Any suggestions?

Necro/lock - So far, I've had the most luck with this combo. Send pet on mage/ranged mob. Necrosis & Essence Link. Pull 3 more mobs with Necrosis. As I run back to my pet, Dark Touch & Neddra's Grasp on the last mob. Radiate Death and Grave Rot once the mobs are bunched together. Depending on my remaining health, I use Devouring Shadows, Soul Purge or Mortality.

Chloro/lock - My attempts at chloro/lock result in many deaths for some reason. I'm going to try respecing to pick up Corrosion next time.

Ele/Chloro - Turn off autocast Earthquake and stick it on a hotkey. Send pet on mage/ranged mob. Ignite. Ice Shield. Pull more mobs with Ignite and bring them to the pet. Earthquake (group taunt). Radiant Spores. Burning Ground. Fiery Assault when I have enough charge. Ignite, Bloom, heal pet or something else. Burning Ground again if necessary.

Ele/SC - Similar pull rotation to Ele/Chloro. Much better AoE damage, but I often pull aggro off the pet and take too much damage.

SC/Chloro - Haven't tried it yet, but seems to me that I'd have to drink very, very often.

Shield of Telara

Warlock/Chloro

Use Life leech then Withering Vines then Void bolt until dead. You won't lose much health considering the health you get back from Withering Vines and Life Leech.

Use Sacrifice Life when low on mana then reconstruct with the charge you've built up. Bugger all down time tbh and works like a treat.

Tbh, works better then AoE spells which chew more mana but also depends on situation and NPC's you're fighting.

Ascendant

Chloro/lock

Corrosion+Devouring Shadows+mortality = win
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

I used necro/chloro with 6 points in warlock as my solo/levelling/AoE grinding build. Decent pet (either tank or dps) + insta cast dots + sacrifice life: mana + heals + some AoEs from necro = no downtime and decent killing speed. Can also solo elites if needed.

Probably similar to the ele/chloro set up already suggested but I prefer necro for dealing with lots of mobs as I can put 2 dots on all of them, plus soul purge is a great charge dump as it heals both you and the pet while doing decent dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Chloro/lock

Corrosion+Devouring Shadows+mortality = win
    That works

also you can go deep Lock for Warlock armor + Chloro for AoE radiant spores + a few points in elementalist for +10% dmg reduction + absorb shield.
    Last edited by Zilvereen; 05-31-2011 at 01:25 AM.

18,30 Crown Hill in Stillmoor is best spot i know so far, lots of mobs close to each other that dont do any special abilities like interrupts or stuns to ruin your mortality.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by fervor View Post
    Necro/lock - So far, I've had the most luck with this combo. Send pet on mage/ranged mob. Necrosis & Essence Link. Pull 3 more mobs with Necrosis. As I run back to my pet, Dark Touch & Neddra's Grasp on the last mob. Radiate Death and Grave Rot once the mobs are bunched together. Depending on my remaining health, I use Devouring Shadows, Soul Purge or Mortality.
    This one. What i do is pull about 4 mobs. On each one pull with leach leech then do necrosis. When they're all there do mortality or or dev. shadows. I dont bother with essence link. Having 2 dots + 1 aoe normally takes em out.

Telaran

I've been trying to find a smooth, no downtime, AoE grind rotation. No luck. Playing my warrior or cleric is very straightforward (few macros, 4-5 mobs at a time, zero downtime).

Any suggestions?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0Ak0Voz.xdhu0o

Necro/Lock/Chloro Ė I usually pull 4 -6 mobs (Depending if they are close enough) and do what you are doing. Over 4 mobs I use Radiant Spores. I usually just pull with Necrosis and force the pet to attack one on me (Iím lazy let the pet come to me). As the last mob is coming in I case the Pre reqs for Radiant Death, Radiant Spores, and then Radiate Death. If I do a 6 pack of mobs Iíll usually single one mob to make sure Iím at full health and mana.

The pet is there for DPS but I still use the knight. If the AoE involves 1 cast thatís the one Iíll put the pet on with Necrosis and Essence Link. I do all level 50 dailies with this build (Necrotic War Golems hit kind of hard so Blood Binding HoT is needed sometimes) and if I have to I can always Feign DeathÖ if it works.

Werewolves in Stillmoor are good eating with this build.

Any suggestions?

Chloro/lock - My attempts at chloro/lock result in many deaths for some reason. I'm going to try respecing to pick up Corrosion next time.

Ele/Chloro - Turn off autocast Earthquake and stick it on a hotkey. Send pet on mage/ranged mob. Ignite. Ice Shield. Pull more mobs with Ignite and bring them to the pet. Earthquake (group taunt). Radiant Spores. Burning Ground. Fiery Assault when I have enough charge. Ignite, Bloom, heal pet or something else. Burning Ground again if necessary.

Ele/SC - Similar pull rotation to Ele/Chloro. Much better AoE damage, but I often pull aggro off the pet and take too much damage.

SC/Chloro - Haven't tried it yet, but seems to me that I'd have to drink very, very often.
    I just finished getting to lvl 50 with a Chloro/Lock/Arch build. This was my rotation: First I buff with Warlock Armor (Make sure you have Warlockarmor on and not Dark Armor), Neddra’s Strength and Entropic Veil. Then I buff with up my Archon abilities on one target; Sering Vitality and Pillaging Stone up to five stacks. Then I pull 4-5 mobs with Searing Vitality Then once I am done I will target one with Neddra’s Torture and Dark Touch I bring all mobs to casters or if i have two casters I silence on and bring them to me and move to the other. Next cast Radiate Death on the one that has NT and DT on it and it spreads.
    Then cast Radiant Spores>Entropic Veil> Devouring Shadows> Devouring Shadows. This sounds like a lot but if you get into a Rhythem it works great. For the most part Radiant spores will spread to all mobs giving you a chance for heal and this helpst keep you up. I notice a big heal the first time I cast DS and again when I recast. If you pull too many you can alternate with Mortality or Shadow Life to save ya if you need it. Later at 50 you also have Essence Surge to save you also.
    I some times throw in Wild Growth also to mix things up. I find this works best great too but not neccisary. If you find your self low on health then you can do two things one you can cast whithering vines and Life Leech on a single target, radiant spores and spam Ruin and Vile Spores until dead this should heal you up. Or what I do is I drain life for manna and then heal twice and then drain again and then uses Reconstruct with the carge that is left. It doesn't get you to full but you don't need it for a pull of 4-5. This is what works for me. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Zyrra; 05-31-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    "It wouldn't happen to you if you couldn't handle it"

-Zyrra

Quote Originally Posted by Valkorian View Post
    Warlock/Chloro

Use Life leech then Withering Vines then Void bolt until dead. You won't lose much health considering the health you get back from Withering Vines and Life Leech.

Use Sacrifice Life when low on mana then reconstruct with the charge you've built up. Bugger all down time tbh and works like a treat.

Tbh, works better then AoE spells which chew more mana but also depends on situation and NPC's you're fighting.
    How are you using this on more then maybe 2 guys? Vines and Leech only last 12 seconds and 3+ seconds per target of that is taken up by casting.

Anyone got a better idea? This seems to be the only at all viable one put forth. (OP asks for a leveling build and everyone posts 66pt builds? There a 51st level I don't know about?)
    I lurk because I hate you.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Shaitan051 View Post
    How are you using this on more then maybe 2 guys? Vines and Leech only last 12 seconds and 3+ seconds per target of that is taken up by casting.

Anyone got a better idea? This seems to be the only at all viable one put forth. (OP asks for a leveling build and everyone posts 66pt builds? There a 51st level I don't know about?)
    Life leech is reset when you cast void bolt on them using Lingering Pain talent.
    And being attacked by 2 or more guys whilst you have life leech and withering vines ticking away plus healing you is no problem at all. That and you can have soul purge or mortality for charge usage to heal plus Bloom if you spec for it.

It really depends on your level but you don't have to go over board if you want to balance out for survivability and damage.

Cast life leech, then withering vines then spam void bolt until you see withering vines at about 3 seconds to go then cast it and repeat with void bolt till dead.

What I meant is how are you getting it on multiple targets? 2 targets at 3sec per target means the vine/leech on the first are already half finished when you're done casting on the second. With 4 targets by the time you finish vine/leech on #4 the dots (which last 12sec) on #1 are gone.

I seem to be missing something here.

Shield of Telara

Test it out.

You don't need to target multiple targets doing that rotation setup.

Target single targets.

The thing is, you use less mana then what you would using AoE, you do kill faster, yes, faster then what you would using your AoE and you survive easier.

When I say you kill faster, when you properly do it, you are doing way more damage then your AoE does, probably double if not tripple depending on crits and opportunity procs as well.

Anyways, test it out and see if you like it.

Not always do you need to use AoE spells like Devouring Souls to finish of group NPC's quicker or easier, using single targets and a good rotation like I said can be a lot beneficial.

You were talking about taking on one enemy at a time? In that case I can take any soul with either self healing or a pet for tanking.

Not sure why you're posting in this topic man, the OP (and I) are looking for a way to level faster by taking on several enemies at once not a different way to do what we're already doing.

Ya, there is no way that killing 1 at a time can compare to killing 4-5 at a time.

Running around my server, almost everyone I see kills one at a time. It's so rare that people often jump into my fights because they see 4-5 mobs hitting me and they assume I'm in trouble.

I've seen some strange strategies being used...extremely inefficient. For example, I saw multiple mages/clerics relying on knockbacks/snare to kill 1v1 normal mobs.

Necrolock is still working the best for me. Killing speed is good because the mobs have four dots ticking on them and Soul Purge and Mortality do a good job keeping me and the pet healed up. Reclaim Power in between pulls further reduce downtime. Unlike chlorolock, I don't feel as fragile. And if things go really badly, I always have Feign Death.

I'm gonna try experimenting more with SC builds. SC AoE damage is ridiculous, so if I can find an efficient rotation, it seems to me that it'd be a good choice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast