+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elementalist PvP?

Default Elementalist PvP?

Newish mage here,I hadn't ever looked at elementalist because I just assumed I wouldn't want to use a pet soul in PvP, but looking at some of Elementalists' toys, I'm seriously thinking about it.

I'm considering a 44 ele/ rest dominator or archmage setup. I'd love any input from people that have given Elementalist a go in PvP.

Anyone at all that has thoughts om Ele.emtalist PvP in general?

Sez

I think most go storm/ele or pyro/arch or necro/lock or chloro/lock for pvp.

I'm not the "expert" though.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Rift Disciple

I've seen people rock Pyro/Ele for the Intensify Elements and massive crit buff, as well as Storm/Ele for near the same reasons (also lightning strike), but I don't think I've seen anyone really run Elementalist as the main focus.

Probably because it's focused on a pet, which in my experiences are almost always lackluster in PvP. If you were to go full 51 Ele, though, I've heard that those little fire elementals can do some absolutely ridiculous burst damage.
    Last edited by Thoon; 05-29-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    <Everlasting Vendetta> -- Greybriar-PvE
    Noxus - Mathosian Warrior - 2/4 FT, 4/4 ToSQ, 2/5 EE

Huh, thought with the 50% healing debuff, 1 minute cd break free, buff remover chance on crys missiles, and other goodies would help. Is the pet that much of the ele's damage? Or is it comparable to other school's without using the pet?

Rift Disciple

The cast time on Crystalline Missiles makes it hard to use in a fluid environment, especially when you cast those 5 missiles for a guaranteed buff strip, a rogue has almost stripped 16 away. The chance to purge is a nice addition, but not the main thing.

Elementalists just don't have the burst necessary to make them a useful dps slot in pvp. They have a few tricks that they can use, but none that couldn't be done better by a different spec from the same mage. Pre-1.2 though, Ele/Dom was a spec that I used a decent amount for the Greater Water Elementals snares, silences, and roots, combined with Dom basics to be a pretty amazing CCer, but after the recent change most of the time you'll be getting an "immune" message more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinigam1 View Post
    Huh, thought with the 50% healing debuff, 1 minute cd break free, buff remover chance on crys missiles, and other goodies would help. Is the pet that much of the ele's damage? Or is it comparable to other school's without using the pet?
    It is not really the damage the pet puts out itself, it is the damage buffs you get from the pet. i.e. Intensify Elements and the sp buff etc...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Wiket View Post
    It is not really the damage the pet puts out itself, it is the damage buffs you get from the pet. i.e. Intensify Elements and the sp buff etc...
    This is the reason that people use it as a side soul instead of a main. It's really useful when put alongside another spell list, but by limiting yourself to just the stuff within the elementalist tree you are hurting what could have been a good thing.

I specced Elementalist and someone tried to start a vote to kick me for being afk before the match started. I got that much hate for just showing up specced something different. Now with that said I didn't see where it was that fabulous of a spec. Maybe if the lil fire buggers had a 45 sec CD like Fulminate...

Best way to describe it; imagine they nerfed Pyromancer and took away Flicker and the circle. That would be Elementalist pvp. Although Ignite spam would kill every undergeared person you run across within 5 secs.

Might want to try 51 Necro / 15 AM til Overload after you give Elementalist a whirl. Summoning those pets and training a cleric or Void Knight that thinks they are invincible is epic lulz. I had a VK with 12k hp run from me after he saw what was headed for him. I almost didn't kill him because I was laughing too hard and hitting all the wrong keys.

+ Reply to Thread