+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dominator Issues Since 1.2

Default Dominator Issues Since 1.2

Bugs
    -Spells that combine damage and control effects (thunderblast, death's edict, disorient?, mental shock?) are having the damage portions become immune with the control effects
    -Chastise and Draining Presence are not reducing damage as intended, evidenced by dmg still remaining at 10 stacks which theoretically should reduce dmg by 100%.
    -Swift control not proccing when enemies are immune to cc when the spell listing lists it as a proc after casting the spell.
    -Silence is automatically breaking transmorgify in both pvp and pve.
    -Knockbacks (such as thunderblast) are removing snare effects on targets.
    -The above two items probably stem from the new dr changes- which were implemented in a way so that now any spell in the same dr group replaces existing ones
    -Mass exhaustion breaks on all mobs if even one is woken.
    -Haunting Pain- when it is applied to the mob it puts on ten stacks and also hits them for 5 tics of dmg, however, none of the stacks do any damage at all if they are triggered by movement. You can scroll over the buff when it is placed on the mob and it will show quite clearly that it will do "0 dmg over 10.1 seconds per stack"

Possibly Unintended Spell Issues
    -Storm shackle doesn't proc quick thinking as other root type spells do.
    -Storm shackle with the microburst upgrade is makign ppl immune to the movement based dr single handedly as the roots and snares each count as a different application (the first snare is diminished and the other two become immune). Other spells such as death's edict as well that have multiple control groups are counting towards both and making it very hard to work around. (this goes to other classes too like static barrier and icy vortex in stormcaller).
    -Reflective command and Arresting presence are having issues self casting when targetted to players in pvp at times making you have to detarget to cast.
    -Charged shield breaking break on dmg effects.
    -Memory Wipe does absolutely nothing for dominator, it has no use in group pve and is not goign to be pulling aggro with low dps or cc (which isn't used in groups) anyways. It doesn't cause any sort of detarget in pvp contrary to popular belief.

Issues in General
    All in all dominator is the most useless class in general, (and one of the buggiest) in pve and pvp, with its core mechanic to be one of the few that is fully bypassable by any other spec (in multiple ways) and having no real other benefits to reconcile any advantage- it has one of the lowest survivabilities and dps outputs for its role. Its highest dps spells are situational on movement triggers or knockbacks that make them unviable in group pve atmospheres, cc and debuffs are largely immune in pve, its endlines are pvp use only, its dmg is so intertwined with cc that it cannot dps enemies without making them immune to cc, and the dr changes grouping all of their disable abilities into one immunity group and all movement based ones into another has been hugely detrimental to the class in pvp. Aside from this dominator suffers other issues in pvp as cc is very situational and relies on recognizing opponent tactics and when cc immunities go up (from them or from other players ccing them) so as not to waste cc that will not be effective. As it is now the class only exists as a low point secondary in certain builds.

So please Trion, as someone who really wanted to pursue this class and the cc playstyle that I love and has been following it since beta I would really appreciate it if you could please look into a way to majorly rework it to find both use in pvp and pve to be as beneficial as other classes in the game.
    Last edited by Inixia; 05-22-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Great post, I also loved the Dominator class... I still try to incorporate what little use it has into my pvp specs

Please Trion, give it some lovin

My guess

Dominator will be removed in a near future patch (1.3, maybe 1.4) and will be replaced with another DPS soul or maybe an offtanking type soul (AoE tanking, not as good of a MT but superb OT)

Quote Originally Posted by Dictate View Post
    Great post, I also loved the Dominator class... I still try to incorporate what little use it has into my pvp specs

Please Trion, give it some lovin
    I still try to use it in pvp too (dom/sc) in pug but its... frustrating to say the least hehe, throwing yourself over and over again into situations where you usually lose to situations you cannot control (not always but still), and ppl don't really get that its a reflection of the class rather than ability.
    Anyways, I mean, to some degree trion must realize what some of the recent changes have done with this class, and I can't presume to know what they want to do with dominator as a whole, but I mean give us something... the class really needs to be looked over and redesigned in an intelligent way to fit the changing gameplay atmosphere.
    Last edited by Inixia; 05-23-2011 at 11:05 AM.

So um.. people have really stopped talking about dominator and trion has not said anything about the subject even though the class is clearly destroyed and they have approached other bug type reports in other classes...

Are we basically just letting this class die?

aux

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    What else can we do? The only thing that will repair the Dominator is the removal of 1.2. That's just not going to happen. The best we can hope for is a new soul to replace it in 1.3.
    I'm so BORED

I don't think that's the best we can hope for. The best we can hope for would be meaningful changes to the existing soul.

Personally, I've stopped posting about the changes I'd like to see made because I've already posted them all before, multiple times. There doesn't seem to be much point in repeating myself endlessly. I don't have the time, patience, or energy.

If the developers decide to implement changes to make the Dominator soul actually capable of contributing value to groups (in PvP or PvE), then I'll be happy. Otherwise, I'll quietly move along to a game that has a better implementation of the crowd control character type. (This isn't a threat, just an honest statement)

I'm confused. What's a dominator?

We have two dominators on our team. And we... dominate with them. I have 16 points, enough for isnta-TM, and the other guy does also. Our main PvP builds are sort of a secret, but honestly, there's nothing more OP in this game than an Insta-cast-TM.

Two healers? Not a problem. Two squirrels.

Slow the healing speed and silence of a camping cleric with the fang.
    Root a ranged fighter with storm shackle, sick your warrior on him, he either can stand still and die, or run away and explode.

Amazing 1v1 even with 16 pts in: If you time it right, with the right points in Dom, you can insta TM, Storm shackle, haunting Pain, and isnta something else... the insta usually gets the damage bonus, and the target explodes if they run away, gets the Dot if they don't. It's the perfect starter, they are at half HP already... nuke away with your other spec.

So many uses. KEEP DOM!! KEEP

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    We have two dominators on our team. And we... dominate with them. I have 16 points, enough for isnta-TM, and the other guy does also. Our main PvP builds are sort of a secret, but honestly, there's nothing more OP in this game than an Insta-cast-TM.

Root a ranged fighter with storm shackle, sick your warrior on him, he either can stand still and die, or run away and explode.

Amazing 1v1 even with 16 pts in: If you time it right, with the right points in Dom, you can insta TM, Storm shackle, haunting Pain, and isnta something else... the insta usually gets the damage bonus, and the target explodes if they run away, gets the Dot if they don't. It's the perfect starter, they are at half HP already... nuke away with your other spec.

Using a class to do one move in a heavy premade and having the rest of your teammates run in and slaughter someone isn't really my idea of a balanced class (and if i'm not mistaken your not actually dom mains but low point doms?). You can still do a few neat things with dominator in group (provided their group isn't totally immune to most of your moveset- which is fairly common, especially since shackle and other moves single handedly do it), but to be honest any other class when played right is brining in more benefits ina groupwide atmosphere and most have roughly as much usable cc as dominator since the patch with far more dps (and dps that doesnt conflict with their cc) and survivability. 1v1 dom is horrible- haunting pain plus storm shackle really by themselves shouldn't be killing any well played/geared class and our core mechanics are universally bypassable, and we drop faster than most any other class and have little dps, especially if they realize how our big dps spells work. If you ran without a heavy advantage this would become more apparent, but in premades its hard to tell when a class is below avg because most things work. Trust me this class is very bad, and as Nevergone said its really up to devs now to make this class have any sort of usability, hopefully they intend to.
    Last edited by Inixia; 05-24-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post

Sorry to break it to you, but it isn't the dom abilities that is leading to your team winning. It is the rest of your team and your coordination.

If the two mages both specced SC aoe spec, you would be more effective 90% of the time.

Remember, it isn't how good those two mages are in a vacuum, it is how good they could be if they ran generally more effective setups.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    So um.. people have really stopped talking about dominator and trion has not said anything about the subject even though the class is clearly destroyed and they have approached other bug type reports in other classes...

What else can we do? I bring it up every time, but Trion has not responded to one thread on the entire site with any comments whatsoever regarding the state of Doms.

Maybe they are looking at them, maybe they aren't. But unfortunately, they aren't talking to us either way.

It is extremely frustrating but in the mean time I'm just running Pyro or SC specs to contribute to my group half-way decently in PVP until things get fixed.

+ Reply to Thread