+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Necro player...some help would be great

Default New Necro player...some help would be great

Hey all.
    Taking my first stab at playing a mage so this is really new territory for me.

I have a level 18 necro/war/dom.

Right now, I seem to be doing ok. My Stalwart skeleton does a good job of taking for me and I can stay alive. I am learning how to gather health and mana from using abilities (such as draining health from pet to get mana and then channel my charge into health for example.)

However, where I have a question and I noticed this today was, it seems like I just spam the same stuff.

For example, I see a enemy, hit them with necrosis, then dark touch, then plague bolt...my pet engages, then it just seems to launch plague bolt and void bolts, over and over. Then I make sure my pet keeps his health up and thats it. I can launch other things like essence link or life leech.

I dont feel like I am fully utilizing the full capabilities of a my build, so I was hoping to get some help here.

Any tips or suggestions?

I appreciate the help.

TCG

Soulwalker

I leveled from 1 to 50 just playing a Lock / Necro / Chloro (0 pnt).
    It sucks until you get Soul Purge. That spell is great because it will give you and your pet health.
    The build is really fun and powerful once you get into it a bit more.

No matter what class you play, you will run into this issue. It's a known downfall, the trick is to make it interesting.

I'm lvl 24 at this point with 10 lock / 22 necro / 0 chloro. I start my fights with essence link > looming demise > neddra's torture > necrosis > dark touch. If I get Opportunity poping, I'll throw in a Life Leach. But what I do to make it fun is run over to a nearby mob and cast looming demise on him too. While he's running at me, I stack up my DoTs and when he's in range of my pet and his current target, throw down a Grave Rot. From there I let my pet finish off target #1, while I Soul Purge target #2. Basically, I chain pull. It's an amazing way to get rid of a quest where you need X number of Y from mobs or just need to kill Z number of mobs in an area.

Just make sure that you arn't saping health from your pet mid-fight. It's a good way to have to use FD alot ;). If you're full health but need mana, use Sacrifce: Life to Mana and let your Essence Link/Soul Purge heal you back up the rest of the way.

Good luck!
    "Hahahahahaha" - a skeleton

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

I'm levelling my 2nd mage to 50 now (changed servers) and I think necro/lock/archon is a great levelling spec. It's certainly laughably easy levelling/grinding compared to rogue (i've levelled 2 rogues to 50). Chain pulling and AOE with this spec is great, and once you master the spec you should never ever have take breaks to drink for mana or health unless you're just being lazy or sloppy. Around lvl 40+ i like to change it to lock/chloro to get rid of the annoying crutch of a pet.

I would suggest this spec for lvl 18 http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvwz.xh.xtcz0z
    16 necro is all about the soul purge. It's probably one of the best talents you can get at low levels and is especially good in the 10-20 pvp bracket. Plague bolt sucks dont use it. Grave rot does more dps than necrosis and dark touch and adds stacks of deathly calling faster than plague bolt could ever hope to. I really like archon for the 0 point soul because its abilities give you two 5 minute stat buffs that are great and not difficult to maintain.

At lvl 25 it should look something like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvwz.xx0uzM.xtcz0z
    Opportunity is a great warlock talent, you just have to get used to looking for the scrolling yellow (opportunity) text or the buff it gives you because it doesn't give a pop up thing like reactive abilities do.
    Draining bolt isn't necessary and is probably more of a pvp talent for the burst it gives but i like to spec for it at low/mid level at least. Neddra's grasp is pretty good, but I kinda think it's not really worth it until you can also get radiate death which allows you to spread dark touch and neddra's grasp to many targets in 1 gcd.

At lvl 30 your skeletal stalwart stops levelling so you need to respec somewhere around that level for more necro to get the higher level pet. lvl 32 build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvw_.xx0uzVo.xtczmzo
    Feign death can be really useful but I dont bother with it. Dark fury is not really worth getting imo especially with the recent changes to CC in pvp

On normal pulls of like 3-4 enemies at a time you can just pull with necrosis/dark touch or life leech when opportunity procs, cast essence link on the mob your pet is attacking, group mobs up and cast grave rot and devouring shadows until all dead and use soul purge whenever you have to. I don't use void bolt much except on opportunity procs, especially since you can fight so many mobs at once that there's almost always something else you should be doing like refreshing dots or grave rot or AOEing mobs with devouring shadows. On bigger pulls of like 8 mobs at a time you do the same thing but you use devouring shadows until you're below like 30% health and then use mortality (1 min cooldown ability) which is kinda like soul purge but its aoe and when you have a lot of mobs on you it will pretty much finish off everything and heal you to full instantly. If your mortality gets interrupted or you get stunned you still have shadow life(3 min cooldown) which should give you enough health/time to still finish off the mobs with devouring shadows. On absolutely massive pulls or in pvp you can cast shadow life when you're almost dead and then cast mortality to heal you to your crazy buffed max hp when you're in the middle of a group of players.

Reconstruct is a great ability and can even be used in combat, so you can do things like fear a mob off of you and heal yourself fully with reconstruct before re-engaging. Fear and wither are also great especially in pvp and when used with opportunity procs. The necro lift shift is actually a pretty decent heal, especially since it generates charge which can be used for reconstruct after several life shifts. I have found this to be effective for killing hard hitting elites that I wouldn't otherwise be able to solo.

I hate pets so i dont put more than 22 in necro ever. Once you get to higher level you can do pretty much the same thing with warlock/chloro except you dont need to rely on a stupid pet. Pathing is horrible in this game and i find that pets usually take the long way to get anywhere and end up pulling mobs you didn't mean to pull.
    Last edited by Chancellor Gowron; 05-22-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Sword of Telara

Listen to the above poster, this is all good stuff.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate all of your help.
    I tried out "Soul Purge" and wow...that is awesome.

Many thanks.

TCG

+ Reply to Thread