+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pyro in 20s - weak?

Default Pyro in 20s - weak?

I've been trying the different mage specs.

Today I rolled a Pyro/lock and tested it out in some PvP.

My toon is level 23. I targeted another level 23 and wound up a Cinderburst.

Not much effect: his green health bar dropped by about 1/8th of so.

THIS is the feared pyro???

He came over and killed me pretty quick.

I take it pyros are nothing to be feared at lower levels?

Pyro was considered hopelessly weak in the betas because people could only level up to 42.

Ground of Strength requires a minimum level of 44.

Get it now?
    Last edited by Corian; 04-29-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Plane Touched

More or less when you hear about the "All feared Pyro" your hearing people complaining about a mage that they visually saw in whats called the "Ground of Strength" a ground in the Pyro root at 44, that makes them basically standing turrets, immunity to CC, chance to stun on cast, with a 30% less physical damage taken. They also were complaining about taking a "Fulminate" to the face, this is an instant cast that takes a full charge, and deals quite a bit of damage.

Because people visually see Ground of Strength they think it godmodes pyros.

That is your all feared pyro. And I kill those.
    Last edited by Cinos; 04-29-2011 at 12:06 PM.

"...But the gods of the Vigil intervened. Their messengers went among the fallen and Ascended the worthy, not for their virtue, but for their MIGHT! In you, they place their faith, their hope and their power. You are our salvation. YOU are a Guardian."

Ascendant

why would you "wind up" a cinderburst after level 21....

Masochist?

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    Pyro was considered hopelessly weak in the betas because people could only level up to 42.

Ground of Strength requires a minimum level of 44.

Get it now?
    OK. Thanks. I didn't realize how much Ground of Strength is what makes the Pyro formidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post
    why would you "wind up" a cinderburst after level 21....

Masochist?

I just used "wind up " to mean I cast that spell.

Here ya go. No premade, first weekish of the game.

http://img692.imageshack.us/g/rift2011022817284967.jpg/

Shadowlander

Pyro at 20s is rather weak unless combined with archon for buff. I struggled to play pyro when i was in 20s; ended up switching to elementalist as my main soul.

That is until i reach 31 ... from there, my attacks just double. With archon buff, my level 32 pyro made is doing around 300 damage per fireball and around 450 when critially hit. If combined with ground of power, which increase all fire damage by 10% but also take 10% more damage when standing in the circle, i would just nuking anyone that come my way. The only down side of pyromancer is that with more firepower, i get less health or taking more damage.

That's why i combine it with archon and chloromancer. Archon can give me a 30 second shield that would absorbing any incoming damage up to certain point (generally any damage even critical hits). Archon also can give an armor buff that may be close to that of a rogue with blue armors (or cleric if combined with elemental stone armor).

My build is 28 pyro, 6 archon, and 8 chloromancer. Last night i took out 1 cleric, and 2 rogue (1 rogue already half health).

Pyro's inferno attack (instantly deal about 450 normal or 660 if critially hit) if the enemy has below 30% health is an awesome attack especially for pvp. I gave that cleric a hell of day, trying to heal her teammates.

For twenties I went SC/Ele... The damage and multi hits you get are so much more devastating than single target at the level and you're killing their whole team at once not to mention a few snares you get along the tree. About mid-thrities to 39 I went back to pyro; if you're good you can make it work without needing the GoS (ground of strength) but if you can't almost better off rolling lock/chloro or necro/lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    LOOK @ ME!, Ima Warr in ur thread praisin ur NURFS. GOGO Warr's YARR!!!
    ....I'm not sure where the fail came from first; the grammar or the fact you spelled "Nerfs" wrong.

Rift Master

It's not a weak soul, but you don't want to be standing around casting Cinderburst.

This spec would be the best for your level.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvIz.xx.efz0zksz

Basically it's a mobility build, use your instants which are the two dots, Flamebolt, and Countdown. When opportunity procs, use Cinderburst, or Fireball if Cinder is on cooldown. Pyromancer's armour will proc Cinderburst as well.

So basically Dark touch, flamebolt, countdown, Searing Vit, spam fireball, repeat from flamebolt, inserting Cinderburst and fireball. Obviously you don't go through exact rotations in PvP but that's the idea.

Macro Inferno to pretty much everything. i.e

#show Fireball
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Inferno
    cast Fireball

As you level up just keep putting all your points into Pyro tree,
    Last edited by Mezkh; 04-29-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Jural View Post

Dude, every mage spec is weak in the 20s. It isn't until 30 onward until we start to get better.

Soulwalker

Default Playing it wrong...

You don't "wind-up" a Cinderburst... You wait until Opportunity procs from warlock, or Pyromancer's armor procs. I am now lvl 32 and in the 30 - 39 bracket. Yes, it's tough to fight someone 35 or higher 1 v 1, but I will say that when I was in my 20's range, I was kicking tail and not looking back. Cast your dots, instants, then root them. cast fireball until procs, then throw out Cinder Burst. By this time, they'll be low enough for Inferno to finish them off. You Win.

Rift Chaser

OK. Thanks. I didn't realize how much Ground of Strength is what makes the Pyro formidable.
    It's only one tool in a great arsenal. As someone who used pyro before the patch (it's even better now) in that level range, you should be dominating from about 25 and up. You just have to kite and use CC's wisely, los people and use your health regen, etc. Time your burst rotations. Make fireball, countdown, and a flamebolt all hit at once, not to mention dot tics. You shouldn't be casting cinder unless you get a proc.

Anyone who says pyro isn't viable without GoS is a weenie.

Rift Disciple

Pyro is a good pvp soul at low levels, particularly because of flicker. One problem it has in the 20s is that burning bright increases your damage based on how many points you put in the soul, but frontloads the hp loss, so you'll want to skip that until later. At 23 you can have pyro armor and an 8 second root that doesn't break on damage plus 25% charge and 4% chance for your next spell to be instant from the warlock tree. 8 seconds should give you enough time to kill or almost kill most opponents, especially if you flicker and kite while applying flame bolt/countdown (and dark touch if you want) before rooting and spamming fireballs with internalize charge running.

+ Reply to Thread