+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1.2 Stormcaller Survival Guide

Assigning SD damage to the player who procs the damage instead of the player who casts it is just a way to balance (read: nerf) SD. There options were:

Reduce the damage of SD (down from 25).
    Make SD not get any bonus from Spell Power and/or Cooldowns and/or Talents (including target debuffs).
    Make SD only get the bonus from those ^^ on each of the individual players who get the buff.

Basically what they have done is nerf SD slightly. I know it doesn't sound like a small nerf, but I promise it is. In fact it is the smallest easy nerf they could do.

If they reduced the base damage then it would be a huge nerf for undergeared players, and a minor nerf for overgeared players. Which would be unfair to newer level 50s.
    If they made it not get increased damage from debuffs, spell power, etc. then it would not work like every other spell in the game and would be a balancing nightmare.
    With the change they are making it is a minor nerf to players who will take the time to organize the groups intelligently and use it properly.

If you use this spell correctly you will not see a big change in the damage... Furthermore, you are a mage... The best class in the game.. Why so serious?

Rift Chaser

In another thread someone mentioned that to make up for the changes all a guild needs to do is get 5 SC mages and put them all in the same group. Problem solved. Sure, they need to rotate the use of SD but this would make for the ultimate dps one could hope for in a raid group with this change. Even more so, with the addition of allowing the ability to crit this change could actually raise the overall dps of the raid group by quite a bit if they have 5 SC's to do it or a recruitment pool to make it happen.

Unfortunately this means less raid spots for other dps classes. At least 5 anyway.

Just curious Bluedot, were you a ret paladin in wow? Sounds so familiar from EJ.

revised 1.2 stormcaller survival guide:

reroll warrior

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    revised 1.2 stormcaller survival guide:

reroll warrior
    That's the pvp guide bro.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealCheesy View Post
    Just curious Bluedot, were you a ret paladin in wow? Sounds so familiar from EJ.
    Nope wasn't me. You might know me from TankSpot?
    Last edited by bluedot; 04-29-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by HopelessMLT View Post
    So people are just crying because they wont get the big numbers on Parsers. Nice joke.
    No people crying because you skill 32 points into one soul to get one of the SC defining abilitys to just realize that all the debuffs and buffs and cooldowns you use to empower YOUR spell will only work for yourself but not the people mentioned in the tooltip of the ability.

A far better change had been to reduce the number of targets recieving the proc.

Its the only damaging spell in the game which will not be contributed to its owner or its owner stats its weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilding View Post
    Its the only damaging spell in the game which will not be contributed to its owner or its owner stats its weird.
    How do people actually believe this?
    Spotter's Order, Volcanic Bomb, Surging Flare, Earthen Barrage, not to mention every buff in the entire game.

It is so weird that this spell ever gave that damage to the mage.

A far better change had been to reduce the number of targets recieving the proc.
    So you want SD to go to say 3 out of 5 of the party members? How does that make sense?
    Last edited by bluedot; 04-29-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Shadowlander

I'm not saying it should be contributed to the mage in a parser, since I honestly don't care... its raid damage, but...

SD is 80% the mage and 20% the group on live. The group attacks are proccing the damage, yes, however the mage is directly attributed to how much damage it does as a whole (aka the scale). If the mage was to just throw out SD without preparing buffs/debuffs, SD would do terrible damage (in comparison). All these static buffs you guys mention are just that, static, the one who cast it has no effect on the end result other than just casting it. There's currently no other buffs like that afaik, sans possibly Dom's armor... which I have never used so no idea if stats/prebuffs/debuffs affect it at all.

The one thing I don't like about it on PST: is the mage who cast it has no effect on how well it does on other group members. I don't care who benefits from the damage, just let the mage control it a little like all the other air spells. It just promotes what everyone was complaining about before, stacking SCs.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    Spotter's Order, Volcanic Bomb, Surging Flare, Earthen Barrage, not to mention every buff in the entire game.

So you want SD to go to say 3 out of 5 of the party members? How does that make sense?
    Why the hell do people keep talking about Stormcallers as if they were a Support class like a Warlord, Druid, Archon or Bard?

We have never been a Support class that gives buffs to everyone else. Changing our only 2 minute cooldown spell to only be counted as another person's dps when they have no talents or abilities that increase Air dmg taken by the mob will not make this ability worthless.

It either needs to change back to the way it was or give Stormcallers another 2 minute cooldown DPS ability.

I swear these people that keep defending this change have no idea whatsoever on how this game or how Stormcallers work.

Rift Disciple

Static Discharge
    97 Mana
    Instant
    Cooldown: 2 Minutes
    The Mage adds his power to their allies, adding 21 Air damage to the damaging attacks and spells of party members within 25 meters. This effect occurs up to 10 times. Lasts 1 minute.

I just wanted to highlight this because with the change the mages adds nothing of his power to the party besides a flat 25 damage improved by powers not coming from the mage.

Spotter's Order
    20 Meter Range
    10 Energy
    Instant
    Requires Melee Weapon
    Calls out the weak points on the target, increasing the damage they take from all attacks for 6 seconds

The "buff" you mentonied is actually a debuff different mechanic it adds damage to every attack also Static Discharge which is a huge buff to a spell acting like this.

In the case Trion is thinking SD adds to much damage to a raid it would have lowered the damage by SD as well to just cap it to 5 members but the mage stats, debuffs and talents like imp. Iceshear would still have impact just like they should.

I really dont care if the damage is contributed to my mage at the end but I would like to see that my cds, debuffs and stats have impact on MY spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Ce1eron
    It just promotes what everyone was complaining about before, stacking SCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayzee View Post
    We have never been a Support class that gives buffs to everyone else. Changing our only 2 minute cooldown spell to only be counted as another person's dps when they have no talents or abilities that increase Air dmg taken by the mob will not make this ability worthless.
    It doesn't make it worthless.. That is the entire point..It is still an incredibly powerful spell. It is still the biggest burst cooldown in the game. It is just going from stupid broken to balanced. Stop talking until you have tested it yourself.

Rift Chaser

Anyways... static discharge aside, Bluedot are you going to be in the PTS Battle Royale? Wanna find out how the CC changes affect SC in PvP

I really dont care if the damage is contributed to my mage at the end but I would like to see that my cds, debuffs and stats have impact on MY spells.
    They do have an impact. They just no longer make the spell overpowered.
    You appear to just be arguing for argument sake. This is not a big nerf. I cannot stress that enough. I have spent an entire afternoon testing this, it is not a big nerf.

A safe rule of thumb is that the developers of a game know more then a random guy on the forums complaining about a nerf. The developers are not out to get you. This change is healthy. You will forget SD was ever this way 30 seconds after the patch hits live. Despite what people are saying you can make some adjustments and continue to top the DPS meters. If and only if you stop whining and learn to play your class.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroshio View Post
    Anyways... static discharge aside, Bluedot are you going to be in the PTS Battle Royale? Wanna find out how the CC changes affect SC in PvP
    I don't PvP. I am terrible at PvP. I am the last person you want on your team in a PvP battle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast