+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Archon question..

Soulwalker

Default Archon question..

Hey guys I just started playing archon in raids and was wondering if someone had any good rotation tips for some higher DPS and maybe a good macro or two

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....AResRfiqkrz.h

is the build I use. 3 points into pyro so your fire spells are all 1.5s cast time.

The point in neddra's influence vs 1 more into pyro is debatable, its preference.

#show (whateverspellyouwant)
    suppressmacrofailures (i think thats the right command)
    /cast Leeching Flames
    /cast Neddra's Torture
    /cast Earthen Barrage
    /cast Volcanic Bomb
    /cast Surging Flare
    /cast Pillaging Stone

Spam that macro. Constantly.

Rotate Power Drain in and out depending on the mob. Keep it up if it does mass AOEs or does a big attack spell on the tank. If the fight is going fine, keep it up as needed for extra DPS. Either way, if the tank needs to take less damage.. use this.

Use consuming flames as needed.

Debuff the mob with your 3 debuffs before anything. Throw up a searing, spam your macro, rock slide when possible, go back to spamming macro.

Once your rotation is going, you will never be below 100% mana.
    Last edited by Ixath; 04-07-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Just replying because my 5 min edit timer is about up.

Thinking about it, the 5 points in opportunity might be completely wasted since every spell you cast will be at a 1.5s cast time. Do what you will with those points if you don't want opportunity.

I'm also 99% sure torture and your 7% archon buff stack. both icons appear. I haven't tested the damage increase myself..but if they're both there.. I assume they do.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ixath View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....AResRfiqkrz.h

is the build I use. 3 points into pyro so your fire spells are all 1.5s cast time.

The point in neddra's influence vs 1 more into pyro is debatable, its preference.

#show (whateverspellyouwant)
    suppressmacrofailures (i think thats the right command)
    /cast Leeching Flames
    /cast Neddra's Torture
    /cast Earthen Barrage
    /cast Volcanic Bomb
    /cast Surging Flare
    /cast Pillaging Stone

Spam that macro. Constantly.

Rotate Power Drain in and out depending on the mob. Keep it up if it does mass AOEs or does a big attack spell on the tank. If the fight is going fine, keep it up as needed for extra DPS. Either way, if the tank needs to take less damage.. use this.

Use consuming flames as needed.

Debuff the mob with your 3 debuffs before anything. Throw up a searing, spam your macro, rock slide when possible, go back to spamming macro.

Once your rotation is going, you will never be below 100% mana.
    I agree with the rotation and theory, it's correct. However I disagree with the warlock sub for the following reasons: Opportunity is useless, all our spells can be made 1.5 second casts or less. Increased charge is mediocre, same with increased dot damage. Neddra's torture is great but our druid takes care of it.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....AResRfiqkrz.x

Is my build, unfortunately the first tier of dominator is useless. the second tier brings you the ultra tasty 10% int. Also the roots of dominator give a lot of great and unique things. Charged shield on the tank reflects 52 damage every hit, quite substantial for something you cast 1x before a fight in a raid. Spell reflect has a lot of interesting uses, and the 80% threat wipe and cleanse "EVERYTHING" spell is very useful

If someone has 50 stacks of a debuff, it takes 50 gcds for a chloro to cleanse it.. you can cleanse all 50 stacks with 1 gcd.

Edit: I see you realized the opportunity thing yourself, I posted before I saw that update. Another issue with your build is you do not get fire armor with only 3 in pyro, fire is half our damage. Also some might argue going 6 pyro for ground of power but I find the movement requirements of raiding makes it too hard to maintain.
    Last edited by Electros; 04-07-2011 at 01:10 PM.

I like the increased charge for having Power Drain up as much as possible.. more for the -10% damage on the enemy than anything. This works amazing wonders when used in greenscale, on both greenscale himself and during encounters with intense aoe damage. I like to have it up a lot.

I've also never bothered to do the math on if 5% damage from fire armor provided more of a benefit than 1 or 2 points in neddras influence. I'm willing to bet that fire armor will add a little bit more, but I dunno for sure. It also depends on your rotation.

I like the dom for the 10% int. Never thought of that really. However, I've stayed away from charged shield. I know other classes give shield buffs. I was always worried about overwriting them or having CS be overwritten.

Soulwalker

Id agree that increased charge from the lock tree isn't as great as 5% crit or possibly 5pts in pyro for the 5% fire damage (as 45-50% of our damage is fire although i haven't tested it thoroughly so as to whether or not 5 pyro > 5% crit im not sure either way). However increased charge allows you to keep Power drain up for a much larger portion of the fight and in raids it adds up to a lot of prevented raid/tank damage.

I use a slightly different Macro which imo equates to a slightly higher damage output by prioritizing them differently. also "/" are not required in Rift macros

#show Surging Flare
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Surging Flare
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Leeching Flames
    cast Pillaging Stone

The reason I cast them in this order is. Surging Flare increases everyones (including your) spell cast time reduced by 5%, this lets you start casting faster right off the bat. 2nd I cast Volcanic Bomb which increases all damage done by 5% making your subsequent spells hit harder then followed by Earthen Barrage which increases melee and spell crit chance by 5%.

I do have Leeching Flames on a separate Hot key as well so I can cast it out of sequence when necessary.

I have a full write up about 51 pt. Archon on my guild's forums

http://unstablerift.com/?q=node/373

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ixath View Post
    I like the increased charge for having Power Drain up as much as possible.. more for the -10% damage on the enemy than anything. This works amazing wonders when used in greenscale, on both greenscale himself and during encounters with intense aoe damage. I like to have it up a lot.

I've also never bothered to do the math on if 5% damage from fire armor provided more of a benefit than 1 or 2 points in neddras influence. I'm willing to bet that fire armor will add a little bit more, but I dunno for sure. It also depends on your rotation.

I like the dom for the 10% int. Never thought of that really. However, I've stayed away from charged shield. I know other classes give shield buffs. I was always worried about overwriting them or having CS be overwritten.

charged shield wont overwrite anything except other mage armors. dot's are a very small portion of archons damage, whereas fire is more than half. Surging flare, burning purpose, volcanic bomb are all fire damage.

I dont feel the slight extra charge from warlock makes up for all the goodies dom gives. Trust me I know how amazing power drain is for both hylas and greenscale, but spell reflect is also quite good for some encounters.

Edit: And if your tank is taking a lot of damage so you truly feel you need that extra charge to reduce intake a tad more, go 12 dom and get a 25% slow instead of a 10% one.
    Last edited by Electros; 04-07-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Soulwalker

@ixath I had charged shield on 18 of 20 raid members on my guilds Lord Greenscale kill last week. it did about 65,500 damage throughout the fight. about 11.8k just from being on the main tank. (not a lot i know but every little bit helps and its basically free damage) Plus that 10% int from dom is just way to sexy to pass up.
    Last edited by Telrec; 04-07-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Re: Charged Shield
    That's very slick. I had no idea it would stack. I'll have to try that build next week and see how I like it.

Soulwalker

just remember not to put it on any mage that has their own armor buff as it will knock theirs off and cause for some very upset mages in your raid

Quote Originally Posted by Telrec View Post
    just remember not to put it on any mage that has their own armor buff as it will knock theirs off and cause for some very upset mages in your raid
    Kinda like toggling the 10% power/mana cost skill when a bard has their 13% one on? People love when you do that. If theres more than one chloro you can blame the other ones/play stupid.
    Last edited by Ixath; 04-07-2011 at 02:28 PM.

General of Telara

I realize the utility of Deny from the Dom tree (and possibly that of Mem Wipe as well though there doesn't seem to be any encounter as of yet where it is of any use), but what about forgoing Deny, Mem Wipe and 1 pt. from Acumen to get GoP?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Wenry View Post
    I realize the utility of Deny from the Dom tree (and possibly that of Mem Wipe as well though there doesn't seem to be any encounter as of yet where it is of any use), but what about forgoing Deny, Mem Wipe and 1 pt. from Acumen to get GoP?
    Problem with ground of power is its actually a dps decrease for many encounters, because they involve tons of movement such as infiltrator and greenscale and you waste way too many gcds keeping it up. theres no doubt ground of power is quite nice if you are talking about an encounter where its sustainable though. I just went for the 2% intellect and memory wipe/deny because all the encounters where I can use gop are very easy for us at this point.

Rift Chaser

3 Pyro / 12 Dom / 51 Archon does well. I can reach 7,000+ mana with raid buffs. Not to mention the Charged Shield is very nice addition. Throw it on all your melee, clerics, and tanks and watch the bosses health drop on AoE bosses. Well, not very fast, but as someone said every little helps.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by AlienXXI View Post
    3 Pyro / 12 Dom / 51 Archon does well. I can reach 7,000+ mana with raid buffs. Not to mention the Charged Shield is very nice addition. Throw it on all your melee, clerics, and tanks and watch the bosses health drop on AoE bosses. Well, not very fast, but as someone said every little helps.
    Yeah I really agree the main debate is between 5/10 and 3/12 for dom sub. It really depends where your raid is in terms of progression. That 25% attack slow is a ***** to keep up, but if your tank is dieing its very valuable.

Wheras 10 dom/5 pyro is a lot more personal damage, with both 5% from fire shield, and not constantly casting that slow.

So if you are undergeared and learning content I'd say 12 dom can definitely be worth it, after all the tank survivng is more important than anything else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast