+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dominator's

Default dominator's

Hey guys, I really want to play a dominator in this game, and before I start I don't want everyone telling me to go pyro :P

I was just wondering, are dominators any good in end game pve? Will they be needed/wanted at all in a raid group?

thanks

Champion

End Game? Currently?
    Nope.

Dominator is basically made to be a pvp soul unfortunately, and in that regard it does do pretty well.

However in raiding and grouping I don't think I'd be out of my way to say that dominator is the worst class in the game. It basically offers nothing to a raiding atmosphere, even ones that want to use cc will not turn to dominator but to rogue cc which with stealth and incapacitate can single out multiple enemies from combat without aggroing them to assist in the pull. But that in itself is a rare exception, the use of cc in dungeoning is usually shunned from experienced groups as being a detriment on trash, and bosses are almost always immune. On top of this dominator really has no other benefits to add to a group, while other classes outprioritize its cc and debuffs they also add dps/support, etc.. to the group as a primary responsibility: dominator also has extremely low pve dps which is not helped by its main dmg spells being movement triggered or having kbs, and both of its endlines are pvp use only. Bringing along dominator in a way is gimping what your group can do.
    Last edited by Inixia; 04-07-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Plane Touched

An apostrophe 's' signifies most commonly is used for possessive nouns. An example of this would be: "Grot37's mage is a dominator." To pluralize (meaning there is more than one) something, you commonly add either a single 's' or an 'es' to the end of the word. An example would be "Grot37 would like to know if dominators are viable in pve."

Sorry for being a card carrying member of the Grammar SS, but it's kindergarten level grammar.
    Most forum users are neckbeards with the uncanny ability to over dramatize anything in a way that would make a crooked politican blush.

Doing a quick look at the Dominator abilities, we find boss-type enemies are immune to the following:

1. Transmogrify - Completely immune, branch abilities do not trigger if you attempt to cast (Controlled Opportunity, Swift Control
    2. Thunder Blast - Damage component applies, however boss-type enemies are immune to knock back effects
    3. Accelerated Decay - Boss-type enemies are completely immune to slow effects
    4. Storm Shackle - Damage component applies, however boss-type enemies are immune to root and snare effects
    5. Grasping Void - Boss-type enemies are completely immune to snare effects
    6. Overpowering Will- Boss-type enemies are completely immune to confuse effects
    7. Death's Edict - Damage component applies, however boss-type enemies are immune to stun effects
    8. Mass Exhaustion - Boss-type enemies are completely immune to confuse effects
    9. Mental Shock - Damage component applies, however boss-type enemies are immune to stun effects
    10. Disorient - Damage component applies, however boss-type enemies are immune to confuse effects
    11. Arresting Presence - Boss-type enemies are completely immune to silence effects
    12. Priest's Lament - Boss-type enemies are completely immune to silence effects
    13. Chastise - Can only be cast on players and player pets
    14. Draining Presence - Can only be cast on players and player pets

14 abilities, out of the 26 available from the Dominator soul (if you were to invest 51 points), are completely useless in PvE boss-type encounters. In addition to just the base abilities being made useless during bosses, there are a total of 23 branch points that are completely wasted investments during these encounters since the abilities they enhance or rely upon are made ineffective/unusable. Over half of our abilities cannot be used to contribute anything to these fights. Can you imagine if clerics were only able to use half of their heals, or if rogues and warriors could only use half of their attacks? Even other mage souls have the freedom to use all of their abilities during these encounters. In truth, no other soul or calling is restricted to such a degree and pigeonholed into a PvP (or solo) play style.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekroig View Post
    An apostrophe 's' signifies most commonly is used for possessive nouns. An example of this would be: "Grot37's mage is a dominator." To pluralize (meaning there is more than one) something, you commonly add either a single 's' or an 'es' to the end of the word. An example would be "Grot37 would like to know if dominators are viable in pve."

Sorry for being a card carrying member of the Grammar SS, but it's kindergarten level grammar.
    Trying to police grammar on the internet is a losing card, sorry mek, although you are free to try! I would recommend just trying to carry over the intended meaning of the message and not focus too much on syntax before you drive yourself crazy though hehe.
    Last edited by Inixia; 04-07-2011 at 11:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread