+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best leveling spec

Default Best leveling spec

Hi,
    looking for the best leveling spec, im looking for:
    mana effecientcy
    survivability (or something that survives for me to do the hard work)
    and if possible able to counter some ganking moments.
    I dont expect to find all points in any build, im just looking for some advice.
    Ive looked all over the forums already and people say warlock to necro to even chloro or dominator (supprised me, dont know wut they can rlly do). so the oppinions are verry different. I concluded that there probably isnt a best one but I still wanted to ask to be certain.
    thanks

I can't tell how it will works in pvp but i leveled with necro and progressively with warlock pts as an hybrid (popular build around here).

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...zkus.cfRhkVqxz

From this build you get :

Aceptable/good dps (veru mobile since it's mostly dots, good in pvp, dot/cc/run)
    CC (slow, stun, silence, squirrel)
    AoE (devouring shadows, mortality)
    pet tank if needed (knight)
    ranged or melee dps pet (necro pets are good)
    Pretty good survivability (soul purge and mortality for heal, shadow life, reconstruct, feign death)
    No mana issue --> no down time, full health and full mana after each pull (reclaim power, sacrifice life:mana, consumption)

It's like a bit of everything and while dps is not burst, it's still very good and sustained.

Go check this post to learn more : http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...romancer-Guide!
    Last edited by Drexlorn; 04-07-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Shadowlander

I'm no expert but I've read elsewhere that Elementalist to 30 is the best. The tank pet keeps you relatively safe while you nuke away with a high Crit ratio. I've found that Warlock + Chloral is fun (more decision making than Elem) and very survivable and gives you a dual role in Rifts and such while you level up. Necro + Lock synergize well and you have the pet for protection. Dominator + Lock is fun and challenging but I've found you have to get to about 18 to get that build up and running. Hopefully more knowledgeable folks will offer more information.

Rift Disciple

I played around with a lot of specs leveling up and in my opinion the best is Necro/Warlock/Archon.

Build up points in necro first so your pet is tough, putting 10 points in Warlock when you can manage it for the +25% charge generation and Opportunity. I'd never put points in Archon, just use it for the Searing Vitality and Pillaging Stone attacks. Then lead into a fight to get 5 stacks of Searing Vitality on yourself so you're health is up a bit (lasts 5 minutes).

For Necro, before I spent points on anything else, I'd get 5/5 Deadly Plague as the stacks of Deathly Calling will soon make your pet do some nasty damage when you spend 5 more in Necro and get Fresh Graves.

Put 1 in Consumption (never get Greater Consumption, pure waste of points) because it's handy to be able to strip off a buff from whatever you're fighting and it does damage. Then get Grave Rot. When I was leveling I didn't have my pet's 3rd ability on auto cast, I kept it off so that when I'd have him run around and gather 2 or 3 or 4 things, I'd drop Grave Rot, hit his 3rd ability and he would generate AoE threat nicely. Then I'd drop AEs and we'd tear up the group.

I always skip Symbiote because Soul Purge gives me back life as I need it and also heals the pet as I do so.

Flesh Rot, Life bane, Soul Purge is an absolute must because a necro without it is terrible, Feign Death and Ancient Tomb are both very nice to have, Master Chirurgeon is also good but it's about this time that I'd respec.

Once you're this far into the Necro tree you're going to start finding out just how much your pet sucks no matter what you do.

So I'd keep Archon and Warlock but drop Necromancer and pick up Elementalist.

Rift Disciple

Simple reason is that with the Earth Elemental pet you can solo Elites and with the Necro pet you might get lucky and do it but with the Earth Pet you don't need luck. Plus, the Earth Elemental pet AE tanks without your having to keep one of his abilities off of autocast.

The essential talents for Elementalist, in my opinion, are:

Elemental Link 5/5 (10% less damage to your Earth pet)
    Ashen Armor 3/3 (pet crits more = more aggro to keep the mobs off of you)
    Weathered 5/5 (50% more pet health)
    Improved Quicken Elements 3/3 (Better pet heals)
    Greater Elemental Affinity (The greater earth elemental is worth it)
    Fiery Assault (Once you send your pet at a mob, then target a new mob and send him there, and keep doing this until you have 3,4,5,6, or whatever, you're going to need a good AE.)
    Planar Expansion 5/5 (Gives the earth elemental's Thud attack a chance to lower his incoming damage.)
    Synergize 1/1 (Each time your pet does damage you gain 3 charge. While he's gathering you're getting charge that you'll need for Fiery Assault.)
    Tempest 3/3 (You do more damage)
    And last is Intensify Elements. You've gathered up a bunch of mobs with your pet, he's over there being pounded by 5 or 6 mobs, use Quicken Elements to heal him, move close to them so Fiery Assault hits, hit Intensify Elements, drop Burning Ground, then hit Fiery Assault. Burning Ground and Fiery Assault will both hit for 50% extra damage, the pet is doing 100% extra damage.

During this ae you may need to target the ones hitting you and sick your pet on them to peel them off of yourself.

Also, go 44 points into Elementalist for the Elemental Armor. 15% more charge, 15% more damage, and some armor. Plus, you'll want to get Warlock up to 20 points for the 25% extra charge, the chance for instant cast spells, etc.

There are some other good spells in Elementalist btw, like Ice Shield, Velocity, Biting Cold, Abrasion, and others but the ones that I feel the Soul really needs in order to flourish are the ones I listed above.

Some you don't want to get if you can help it are: Charged (You won't be using lightning enough to matter), Icy Carapace (It doesn't do enough that I ever noticed it helping so I dropped it and never missed it.), Sacrifice (You shouldn't ever need to blow up your pet.), and maybe a few others.

Things to keep in mind as Elemental: Ignite on each mob is nice because your pet will crit against them much more often than if they don't have it, so you can tab target, ignite a few of them, then heal the pet, repeat, easily enough.

Shadowlander

If Elementalist is so good like you claim it is, why do you recommend starting off as Necromancer and only switching once you're 20-25 points in to your main soul.

My Mage is low level so I'm trying to figure out the best route to go.

While the elementalist sounds fun an look cool, one thing i noticed when trying a full elem build is the lack of tools. I mean your spell rotation is very small and you don't have that many choices. But i agree the pets are easier to manage since they're mostly self-sufficient, being powered by passives.

It's so easy to manage that you can fall asleep. Bring a coffee if you play your elementalist !

You know i'm that kind of player who is 50% practical and 50% coolness lover. I'm sure i'm not the only one but as long as you bring the practical within your group and coolness outside for yourself everyone is happy and it's a wonderful world.

P.S. If they ever bring a full fire elemental, i'm back in lol
    Last edited by Drexlorn; 04-07-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Shadowlander

If you are taking elementalist, what would you pair that with? Stormcaller and Chlor maybe?

What would the build look like, what about macros can we macro anything?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Faited View Post
    If Elementalist is so good like you claim it is, why do you recommend starting off as Necromancer and only switching once you're 20-25 points in to your main soul.

My Mage is low level so I'm trying to figure out the best route to go.
    Sorry, I should have explained that.

Necromancer starts out of the gate strong but as you level and face stronger enemies, it becomes quickly apparent that the necro pet doesn't scale well to match them. But early in, the pet can hold aggro and you have a lot of survivability.

Elementalist starts out weak and stays weak until you spend enough talent points to make the build strong enough to survive.

I started out as Elementalist and I died a lot. It was frustrating. When I switched to Necro as my main spec that all changed and I leveled up until the mid thirties as necro, but then I realized that I couldn't solo elites so I started experimenting around and when I tried the Elementalist, I discovered that with the points I now had I could not only solo elites but I could take on groups of mobs.

One on one I find the Elementalist boring so I use the pet to round up mobs. It's more challenging to AE a lot of mobs at once and I find it fun.

My spec is http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...V.M.ytczogkAtz

I went 8 into warlock for both Sacrifice Life: Mana and Reconstruct. Dominator I went 11 in just for arresting presence (to pull casters into the group) and 10% extra int.

So it seems like a summary is go Necro primary, Lock secondary and leave chloro sittin at 0 points? From level 1 build up points in Necro as much as you can then switch over to Lock? Sorry to be askin such nooby questions but i just came from a 50 cleric and flipped a coin and it told me to level my mage.

Telaran

Up to 30 I'm enjoying full Pyro with the remainder in Chloro and 0 Elemental for the pet.

GOP gives me extra mana regen and Smouldering Power makes me use significantly less. I get a nice damage boost from Natural Awareness. And the pet's taunt is plenty to pull anything off me.

I open with Fireball, followed by Radiant Spores while the FB is in midair, then Fireball and Flamebolt. Most even cons are dead before they reach me. (I used to send the pet in first, but I have to walk farther to loot that way.)

Anyway, this spec is very fast killing and I rarely run low on mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusoyaro View Post
    So you're talking soloing in a PvP server? You build for PvP (well, a duelling spec really) and solo with that. Forget any pet class, gankers will ignore them.

Chloro/Lock/Archmage is what you want. It's the only guaranteed way to survive a stealthed gank and then toast him. Dominator would seem like a natural but in fact it's pretty weak until you put 16+ points for the instant squirrel and even then, it's better at protecting you from someone other than a stealthed rogue.

I'd go Chloro until 19 or so http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRv0.xdIzoh.xo then start stacking warlock. It'll look something like this at 50: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...oh.xg0Akqqek.h

For instances? Whatever you want. Survivability isn't a problem.
    Last edited by Iselin; 04-07-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by muskleman500 View Post
    So it seems like a summary is go Necro primary, Lock secondary and leave chloro sittin at 0 points? From level 1 build up points in Necro as much as you can then switch over to Lock? Sorry to be askin such nooby questions but i just came from a 50 cleric and flipped a coin and it told me to level my mage.
    In my opinion, when you're leveling as necro it helps to have warlock as secondary but the 3rd spec doesn't matter at all. I never spent a point in it and, if you don't spend points in one of your trees, you can just switch that Soul to whatever you want, even in combat. Need to Transmogrify something and you're in a fight? Press N and switch your 3rd spec over to Dominator and cast it. Want more hit points? Switch your 3rd spec over to Archon and cast Searing Vitality 5 times in a row, now you have 5 minutes of extra health.

Default great soloing spec

Quote Originally Posted by Kusoyaro View Post
    Hi,
    looking for the best leveling spec, im looking for:
    mana effecientcy
    survivability (or something that survives for me to do the hard work)
    I dont expect to find all points in any build, im just looking for some advice.
    Ive looked all over the forums already and people say warlock to necro to even chloro or dominator (supprised me, dont know wut they can rlly do). so the oppinions are verry different. I concluded that there probably isnt a best one but I still wanted to ask to be certain.
    thanks

i started lvling as a necro/warlock for the majority then i saw a video on a necro/chloro i have had so uch fun with this spec i can synthesis my pet where all the healing my damage base spells go to the pet i use my knight pet for the tanking aspect...for the last 10-15 lvls i was this spec and i was soloing elites with ZERO problem i highly advise you have one of your roles like this you will not be mad
    sirveo
    Eq , Eq2, 80 shaman,80priest,80 pally WOW, warhammer, aion, battle of immortals, guild wars, LoTR

Quote Originally Posted by Soultomb View Post
    Want more hit points? Switch your 3rd spec over to Archon and cast Searing Vitality 5 times in a row, now you have 5 minutes of extra health.
    Actually just once: it's a DOT and each tick gives you a charge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast