+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [HELP REQUESTED] Stormcaller Guide

Sov

Default [HELP REQUESTED] Stormcaller Guide

Hi

I've just respecced into the Stormcaller tree (I'm level 23 at the mo) and I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some tips on playing the class, the best way to utilize it's spells and abilities and also a decent Soul spec from ZAM? I'm all for AoE grinding and if possible, I'd like to keep downtime to a minimum.

Also is the Stormcaller soul supposed to be a huge mana drain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Luv
    Shadowlander

Hello,
    I play a SC, wich is level 18 atm, that's my first toon as I am discovering the game.

It's a complex soul, a real little mind game, and it forces to a real power-mana management.
    My experience is short, but let me tell you, that this soul is not for people who need advices from others.

Get in SC only if you are autodidacte, patient, solid nerves, and have a lot of abnegation.
    This morning a pyro of my level arrived, rush at the middle, grab the all mobs, stands and kill them all in a few second, when I struggle with one and die with 2 if I have a miss on my cc.

So perhaps there are words of non english language up here ^ as I used them in my native one.
    Play, experiment, adjust, asking others means you didn't even bother to read the descriptions, finally forget about the SC soul you'll avoid to waste your time even more.
    Last edited by Luv; 04-07-2011 at 05:04 AM.

Soulwalker

Default mana cost reduction

You could try something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zyqv.VG0x.Vk.xc

In the 3rd tier of Stormcaller there's "Lightning Mastery" which reduces the mana cost of your Air spells (lightning) by 20%.

8 points in warlock will of course give you your Sacrifice Life: Mana (mana tap) and Reconstruct (heal) for the end of each fight... or you can use revitalize.

Or you could try this one: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zyqs.VG0x.Vt.L again, using revitalize to regain your mana.

Sov

Quote Originally Posted by Luv View Post
    Hello,
    I play a SC, wich is level 18 atm, that's my first toon as I am discovering the game.

It's a complex soul, a real little mind game, and it forces to a real power-mana management.
    My experience is short, but let me tell you, that this soul is not for people who need advices from others.

Get in SC only if you are autodidacte, patient, solid nerves, and have a lot of abnegation.
    This morning a pyro of my level arrived, rush at the middle, grab the all mobs, stands and kill them all in a few second, when I struggle with one and die with 2 if I have a miss on my cc.

So perhaps there are words of non english language up here ^ as I used them in my native one.
    Play, experiment, adjust, asking others means you didn't even bother to read the descriptions, finally forget about the SC soul you'll avoid to waste your time even more.
    Thanks for the post. However, I feel your post was quite harsh and a little judgemental. Just because I've asked for some friendly advice from a higher levelled SC, it doesn't mean that I'm an idiot, nor would it imply that I haven't looked at the tooltips. I came here for advice, not to be slated. Please keep your opinions about my playstyle to yourself if they aren't constructive or related to my original post. I don't intend to turn this into a flame thread, so if you don't have anything constructive to say, please don't say anything at all.

@Dimah
    Thank you for the builds. I'll check these out later when I have the opportunity to do so.

Any further advice is highly appreciated.

Personally I'd just use elementalist as a 0pt soul for the earth pet at this level

10 points in warlock will net you a 10% opportunity (instant cast) proc which can be clutch with the long casting water based spells. The extra charge gained is very useful to turn into health with revitalize (and as SC you will be using Health to Mana a LOT)

Anyways here's what i got for a level 24.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zyqv.iG0tb0o..xx

And this is my raid-spec AE-DPS build at 50
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...qxo.EM0t0xssbo

Note that the bottom spec is for group play only and it has a severe lack of survivability and solo options that the SC offers for PvE or PvP

Other (popular) options in the future for offspecs will be: 13 pts or more in Chloro for the AE Radiant spores and a heal, and (generally) a 50-50 split SC/elementalist for the various buffs and a better pet.

Just remember to separate your spells into AE , Single target, etc and you should do well (you can also set up a macro with all your long casting water spells to spam after an Opportunity proc).

Hope this helps, holler if you need assistance with spell rotations
    Last edited by The Grixxitt; 04-07-2011 at 06:30 AM.
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

Rift Master

I dont recommend investing in sc heavy while leveling. it severely lacks mana return and defensive tools.

Its more effective to get 6 points in elemental for ice shield, revit, and golem then it is anything in sc.
    After that, you can go 14 in sc for forked/lit field

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sov View Post
    Hi

I've just respecced into the Stormcaller tree (I'm level 23 at the mo) and I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some tips on playing the class, the best way to utilize it's spells and abilities and also a decent Soul spec from ZAM? I'm all for AoE grinding and if possible, I'd like to keep downtime to a minimum.

Thank you.
    I just want to see a good PVP spec, with some tip on rotation/stacking. I've seen a few, but they all seem pretty scattered...2 points out of 5 in this water talent...3 in this water talent...skip this air talent....

Quote Originally Posted by Saboth View Post
    I just want to see a good PVP spec, with some tip on rotation/stacking. I've seen a few, but they all seem pretty scattered...2 points out of 5 in this water talent...3 in this water talent...skip this air talent....
    I think what you're seeing is just a core problem with the soul itself. Namely, there isn't anything in the core abilities that reward you for going past 26 unfortunately. Also, single target and AE abilities are redundant in each category and there are others missing altogether (like an AE version of Ice shear).

That and/or just bad builds/buildmakers
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

Plane Touched

Leveling as a stormcaller is both a blessing and a curse. Its a curse because it is not optimum for maximizing exp gain thru minimum downtime between fights, but it is a blessing because you need the experience with this complex class if you want to succeed in end game.

A person who levels as a necrolock is gonna get to 50 faster but when he is there switching to stormcaller will feel like playing an account purchased on ebay.

With the incoming nerf to pyros in pvp, stormcaller will be one of the few viable builds left to mages, so even though its slow and painful, i recommend the upcoming mages to lvl using this soul.

With that in mind, the best combination for a soul right now is the elementalist. I also tried a storm/chloro and storm/warlock, which have much better survival in pvp, and would recommend them to the average pug wfer.but if you are going with friends, the 32 stormcaller 34 elementalist build at 50 is gonna have an incredibleaoe burst for 10 secs every 1-2 mins, which has the potential to take down a full grp that is stacked, even with healing.

Try to get familiar with your water pet for pvp, and use macros for those overlapping spells you get in sc and ele (such as knockbacks, +elemental dmg with attacks, etc.)

Leta us know if u need advice on talents or rotation

tau
    Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sov View Post
    Hi

Thank you.
    At your level I was using this.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zyq_.VG0L.Vtcz0z
    By lvl27 you should have greater elemental affinity and 3 points into weathered. That'll make it easier for your pet to tank bigger groups and elites.

AoE grinding with the stormcaller is easy. Get your pet to pull the mobs and keep it healed. Cast forked lightning once to get the electrified effect on the mobs and then spam lightning field until they're dead. If the electrified effect wears out and they're still alive recast forked lightning and continue spamming lightning field.

If your pet hasn't built enough aggro a mob will break from the pack and attack you, so just send your pet on it to peel it off you. Make sure you heal the pet between dpsing. It gets alot easier with the upgraded pet as it also has an aoe attack that forces all surrounding mobs to attack it. You just need to keep it alive.

For single targets cast electrocute to get 3 stacks of electrified and spam cloudburst. If electrocute is on CD cast thunderbolt 3 times to get the triple stack of electrified before continuing with cloudburst. If the electrified effect is about to run out refresh it with thunderbolt. You only need to cast thunderbolt once before the effect wears out to maintain the triple stack.

It's true that SC uses alot of mana, so just use revitalise between pulls, or just drink. Drinking is very cheap anyway. For the 3rd soul I use dom for transmog, it's up to you though. You could use lock for better hp/mana management.

Sov

Wow.

I didn't think i'd get quite so much advice! Thanks to all who posted (except luv)

Any advice on spell rotation and macros would also be a massive help as I just get overwhelmed by the amount of spells available to me all at once D:

Thanks again

Sov

Double post ftw

I just specced 14SC/16Ele and it f*cking owns!

I have zero downtime and my kill speed is amazing, thank you!

(Would still appreciate any rotation/macro help)

Awesome thread and finally the source for help I was looking for ^^

I'm already 50 but I'm having trouble with SC so far, since I couldn't make sense out of it (just as discribed by Iseldiena. Your SIG is more than epic btw <3).

So with the information I got for me I would continue to put points into SC to get to Inductance and of course Charged Field. Which changes the mentioned rotation (by Tau) to 3 times the "applying effect" (that's what I call it. I can use Forked Lighning x3 or Lightning Storm if ready, right?) and afterwards Lightning Field x3. Since it now consumes Electrified I have to use applying effects afterwards again.

Still not sure about the filler points in the soul though. There's a lot of charge draining stuff, I just grabbed Wind Chill, Ride the Wind and Lightning Conductor. The latter because I figuered I could use a hypothermia applying aoe on the mobs first, whenever one is ready. To get to Lightning Storm I also added Permafrost. Not that I'd be thrilled about it, but it might prove useful as an Oh-S**t-Button.

Ok that makes 31 SC. I added Elementalist for the rest - though I think I heared that Tempest doesn't work for the whole lightning thing. Should I just go 21 ele and add some more points into a third soul or more SC?

I just want a solo AoE "learning how to SC" build ^^

Any further input will be appreciated. And I hope I'm not highjacking your thread, Sov. But you'll level up too and might have the same questions ;)
    Last edited by Elerina; 04-07-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Sov

Not at all Elerina.

This was intended as a thread for general help for new Stormcallers.

=)

Rift Disciple

I'm not sure I can see any SC/Ele who wouldn't drive for Tempest and Intensify Elements. And since you're one soul point away at that point, the in-combat mana regen.

It's hard to see what you get for 13 or fewer points in other trees that will help you more than more Elementalist. Warlock comes closest, but opportunity is less useful for a stormcaller. Warlock Sacrifice Life:Mana is worse than the level 32 elementalist mana regen. 25% charge is partially offset by Elementalist's Synergy (+3 charge for each pet attack). The charge-draining self-heal in Warlock is much too slow to justify losing Tempest, Intensify and 20% elemental health.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast