+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Single target boss dps

Soulwalker

Default Single target boss dps

I've been trying to find a good single target dps spec, I've tried quite a few specs, 32 ele 31 pyro 3 archo, 35 lock 31 necro, 51 archon, pretty much everything i've tried....even sc with ele and trying to spam the 3-4 skills i just cannot seem to get much over 600dps on a boss fight...Is it just me or am i doing something really wrong? Please help if you can!

Telaran

It would depend on your gear, but don't expect to beat out warriors (even after our "buff")

While there have been "some" parses here and there and these forums with Mages pulling 900-950DPS parses - many are poor parses and are cut off after DPS cooldowns.

I am personally in FULL T2 (No upgrades from ANY T2 instance, full epic essences) - so the only upgrades i could get are from Greenscale.

Having tried all the top DPS combinations as well (Necrolock, SC/Ele, SC/Lock, Ele/Pyro, Archon) -
    The highest i can parse is around 750-800 WITHOUT USING 3min+ COOLDOWNS

Sure, if i pop stuff like Intensify Elements or Heatweave, i can spike up to 1000-1100DPS+...
    Use of +%Dmg that drains charge is fine, as those are considered part of your standard rotation.

This is also completely unbuffed, mind you - on a target dummy which has no debuffs and you have nobody in your group providing you buffs.

I'm not sure how some people are pulling 900-950DPS+ parses unless they are clipped after DPS cooldowns, or are in Greenscale gear.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by KooperT View Post
    It would depend on your gear, but don't expect to beat out warriors (even after our "buff")

While there have been "some" parses here and there and these forums with Mages pulling 900-950DPS parses - many are poor parses and are cut off after DPS cooldowns.

I am personally in FULL T2 (No upgrades from ANY T2 instance, full epic essences) - so the only upgrades i could get are from Greenscale.

Having tried all the top DPS combinations as well (Necrolock, SC/Ele, SC/Lock, Ele/Pyro, Archon) -
    The highest i can parse is around 750-800 WITHOUT USING 3min+ COOLDOWNS

Sure, if i pop stuff like Intensify Elements or Heatweave, i can spike up to 1000-1100DPS+...
    Use of +%Dmg that drains charge is fine, as those are considered part of your standard rotation.

This is also completely unbuffed, mind you - on a target dummy which has no debuffs and you have nobody in your group providing you buffs.

I'm not sure how some people are pulling 900-950DPS+ parses unless they are clipped after DPS cooldowns, or are in Greenscale gear.

Uhhh.. those 3 minute cooldowns are part of your rotation too, and your parse should be long enough to reflect that. Generally my rule of thumb is end your parse about half way through the second cool down of your highest dps cooldown.

dont trust all parsers. They are 3 parsers and all of them parsing diffenrently...

At greenscale on 1st boss i parsing something about 600-650 (rare craft, some t2armor) nothink special, but i am glad for it...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Juff View Post
    Uhhh.. those 3 minute cooldowns are part of your rotation too, and your parse should be long enough to reflect that. Generally my rule of thumb is end your parse about half way through the second cool down of your highest dps cooldown.
    I don't want to drop statistics but you need to be on something a lot longer than 5 minutes.

We had a mage pulling over 900 DPS. He hasn't been in a raid since patch that fixed the 3 item exploit. I'm not saying he did it on purpose but I still don't see how he pulled way over 900 sp and 700 spell crit. Unbuffed.

I can pull that as archon with the chloro 25% buff but it's not useful aside from 5 mans.

Champion

600DPS is decent for a mage.

Fully T2/Greenscale geared my high was around 780DPS on a necro lock for a boss fight in greenscale.

Mages will single target DPS anywhere from 600-750ish DPS, while melee constaly flirts with 1k DPS.
    The thing is that they did nerf other forms of range DPS, most notably the sabo, so range DPS is just lower, as such you shouldnt be hated on for DPS over 600 as range.

Most of these posted "my mage did 900-1k DPS" are parsing during boss encounters with lots of adds that they aoe, use a dummy that is not the level 50 boss dummy (a lesser dummy basically) or take advantage of the aoe setup "3 dungeon dummies in a row" to achieve this. That or they are taking advantage of an exploit.

Now, there are situation where a 5 man team running and archon and another mage...possibly a bard as well, where the non archon mage can hit 800-1k dps. This wont happen in greenscale however.

You should be parsing between 650-750DPS single target, no cheating, geared for greenscale, on a boss dummy, for about a 10min parse. You get any higher than that, post your build/rotation, because ieverytime i see/hear such things, and try it myself,also giving the build to other mages to try, we all (about 4 of us) parse with in single diget DPS of each other, all within the 650-750 DPS range.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonkirie View Post
    I don't want to drop statistics but you need to be on something a lot longer than 5 minutes.

We had a mage pulling over 900 DPS. He hasn't been in a raid since patch that fixed the 3 item exploit. I'm not saying he did it on purpose but I still don't see how he pulled way over 900 sp and 700 spell crit. Unbuffed.

I can pull that as archon with the chloro 25% buff but it's not useful aside from 5 mans.
    What chloro 25% buff are you talking about?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchyblack View Post
    600DPS is decent for a mage.

Fully T2/Greenscale geared my high was around 780DPS on a necro lock for a boss fight in greenscale.

Mages will single target DPS anywhere from 600-750ish DPS, while melee constaly flirts with 1k DPS.
    The thing is that they did nerf other forms of range DPS, most notably the sabo, so range DPS is just lower, as such you shouldnt be hated on for DPS over 600 as range.

Most of these posted "my mage did 900-1k DPS" are parsing during boss encounters with lots of adds that they aoe, use a dummy that is not the level 50 boss dummy (a lesser dummy
    basically) or take advantage of the aoe setup "3 dungeon dummies in a row" to achieve this.
    That or they are taking advantage of an exploit.

Now, there are situation where a 5 man team running and archon and another mage...possibly a
    bard as well, where the non archon mage can hit 800-1k dps. This wont happen in greenscale
    however.
    You should be parsing between 650-750DPS single target, no cheating, geared for greenscale, on a boss dummy, for about a 10min parse. You get any higher than that, post your build/rotation, because ieverytime i see/hear such things, and try it myself,also giving the build to other mages to try, we all (about 4 of us) parse with in single diget DPS of each other, all within the 650-750 DPS range.
    Why wont 800-1000 happen for greenscale? Sounds like a l2p issue to me. Any mage in the raid past the first chloro and first archon should be pulling over 800 or should be kicked.

Champion

i dont understand why you wouldnt include cooldowns in a dps parse, i mean thats what they are for, extra dps for bosses. SC/ele i have intensify/discharge up 2x in a 5 min boss fight.

also some builds parse higher on a dummy and some lower. for example my pyro/archon build does say 650dps forever, never go oop on a boss dummy, but i never see it in instances. i always have to move, recast gop, get cc'ed right when i hit heatwave whatever. its not a realistic number.

my SC/ele build though does say 550 on a boss dummy on a 5+ min parse but in a instance im seeing close to 800dps because static discharge scales to the group and is available every 2 min and kills it on aoe/trash. somewhere between 1k-2k dps (typically 1200ish).

fwiw im in T1ish gear with 750ish sp self buffed last time i did dummy parses, im actually around 800sp now though.

i would imagine 800-1k is certainly doable with raid quality gear
    Last edited by Shieldy; 04-07-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Shieldy 60 Warrior
    Gloredhel 60 Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Quru View Post
    Why wont 800-1000 happen for greenscale? Sounds like a l2p issue to me. Any mage in the raid past the first chloro and first archon should be pulling over 800 or should be kicked.
    Yep, in SC/Lock, which is not an optimal ST build I just did 750 for the water raid boss, with CDs being used suboptimally because of positioning around boss. Should easily be able to pass 800 with better gear/spec for ST (my spec is built around aoe).
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

Soulwalker

Thanks for the responses. I am in full T2 gear with 900 sp, 560 crit, and 203 focus with no buffs. I havent been able to mess around with ST that much because im usually healing. Maybe i just need to practice my rotations better. But even in GSB first boss i can do 1k+ as a SC on fights with adds ect. but when it comes to the 2nd boss seems the better mages are hitting 650-750's while having to move around and avoid things, i usually heal this fight so i dont know how well i would be doing.I will be looking for a good rotation to see if i can improve things.. I just think even parsing a 10 min dummy fight isnt very accurate because you can just stand there and not worrie about anything this usually isnt the case in GSB or even some bosses in instances.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Azumi View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I am in full T2 gear with 900 sp, 560 crit, and 203 focus with no buffs. I havent been able to mess around with ST that much because im usually healing. Maybe i just need to practice my rotations better. But even in GSB first boss i can do 1k+ as a SC on fights with adds ect. but when it comes to the 2nd boss seems the better mages are hitting 650-750's while having to move around and avoid things, i usually heal this fight so i dont know how well i would be doing.I will be looking for a good rotation to see if i can improve things.. I just think even parsing a 10 min dummy fight isnt very accurate because you can just stand there and not worrie about anything this usually isnt the case in GSB or even some bosses in instances.
    I agree that testing DPS on a dummy is not the same as measuring it in a raid instance where you are forced to move around, but that is why it is "testing". As long as we are all measuring our DPS output in the same setup (ie: the raid boss dummy) then the numbers can be compared side by side. There is always going to be a margin of error when you are thrown into a live raid setting, but that is expected.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

-Mages scale incredibly well with raid buffs like archon/bard/consumables etc

-The success of your spec for any given fight can be highly dependent on the mechanics. For example lock/necro has a hard time with multiple switches and fights where pets are difficult to use to their fullest capacity

-Mage rotations usually take time to master and are generally very unforgiving to mistakes. Using cds at the wrong time, mismanagement of charge/mana, letting buffs/debuffs fall off all have dramatic effects on your overall dps. The flip side to this is a very smart mage can dramatically improve dps with smart use/timing of cds etc.

My first parse on a dummy of a Stormcaller/Lock spec I got from the SSN forums gave me 700 dps. I was disappointed but I knew I could improve. Making sure I didn't let charge go to waste, keeping up electrified and iceshear, using opportunity procs for the correct spells, I was able to get it up to 850. This took hours of practice and testing different combinations. Then the first single target only boss I fought (first boss in RD after the change, now a high movement fight) resulted in 925 dps. Only buffs I had were bard buffs. I'm quite convinced an experienced and skilled stormcaller/lock in a raid situation with full consumables (15% extra crit damage to staff, 40int/40wis vial, 10sp food, archon and bard in raid, timing cds with power flare, etc) can do 1k or more on a single target boss and much more with multiple adds like Duke.

Link to build/article http://www.staysmallnerds.com/mage-t...lock-4ele.html

I'm also convinced anyone who says these kind of numbers are impossible are either not investing the time to make sure rotation is correct and execution is flawless, are trolling, or simply don't have raid quality gear. If you're just a simple mage trying to perfect your class keep investing the time and effort it takes to perfect a good spec and you'll see those kinds of numbers.

+ Reply to Thread