+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help on soul Lock or Pyro?

Soulwalker

Default Help on soul Lock or Pyro?

Hey recently just started playing rift after my friends convinced me to give it a try... after trying all the different types of classes like the mage the best although im having a difficult time deciding on a spec was looking at a necro/lock/arch or ele/pyro/arch spec. Plan on doing abit of everything pvp, questing and hopefully raiding when i get to 50 was curious what would be a better spec. Thanks

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Panzeriv View Post
    Hey recently just started playing rift after my friends convinced me to give it a try... after trying all the different types of classes like the mage the best although im having a difficult time deciding on a spec was looking at a necro/lock/arch or ele/pyro/arch spec. Plan on doing abit of everything pvp, questing and hopefully raiding when i get to 50 was curious what would be a better spec. Thanks
    I recommend Necro/Lock for leveling putting at least 16 points into Necro to get Soul Purge ASAP. This is a great build for solo leveling, instances, and pvp. Once you reach 50 and start getting geared you might want to look into other specs to play around with.

Soulwalker

cool thanks ill go with necro/lock then tried ele/pryo for afew levels last night and noticed while they kill thinks a tad faster they have abit less survivability it seemed could be just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzeriv View Post
    cool thanks ill go with necro/lock then tried ele/pryo for afew levels last night and noticed while they kill thinks a tad faster they have abit less survivability it seemed could be just me though.
    No, it's not just you and the Warlock's Void Bolt hits for about the same as Fireball. Necro/Lock has a lot of small passive heals from Essence Link and Soul Leech not to mention Necro's Soul Purge you get at level 16.

Where both specs have trouble though is whenever you get adds on you. 2 or 3 mobs can easily kill your pet before you kill more than one of them...then they're on you.

If you want to not have to worry about that, go Chloro/Warlock with 0 points in ele for the pet. That'll keep you going until the 0-point pet stops being useful (level 32 or so.) But by then you'll know that you don't really need it since you can tank and kill the 3 mobs all by yourself. Replace it with Archon for the buffs or Dominator for the Squirrel at that point.

Imho, Chloro/lock is the easiest leveling spec 1-50... and you really don't kill all that much slower (DPS is ~ 2/3 of other mages.)

Soulwalker

cool thanks for the replies trying to read up and figure as much as i can on this game since i started playing used to play wow completely trying to erase that game from memory lol really enjoying this so far my biggest problem here so far is all the choices i have with classes so many combinations hard to choose. Played a rogue in wow but didnt really care for the melee rogue here might give them a try down the line really enjoying the mage though.

Soulwalker

Another quick question went with necro/lock then what would go better with it for leveling and pvp archon or dominator?

Shadowlander

Dominator is pretty crappy for levelling purposes, the only reason you'd take it is for a single CC. In any PUG PvP situation, people WILL break your CC target so it's completely worthless there.

Archon gives you some decent buffs (one of which is another DoT to add to your collection) without putting any points into the tree. This is useful for your levelling speed and PvP since you get a slight statistical boost across the board and a little extra damage.

+ Reply to Thread