+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Petless, solo leveling class?

Soulwalker

Default Petless, solo leveling class?

Any suggestions?

I'd appreciate any input on the subject.

Thank you!

Telaran

Default sure!

sure thing,

Chloro 32/Warlock 30

is build i used for my solo spec i found it much more interesting and useful in general gameplay then necro or elemental builds i am level 45 now and rising and it works like a charm. Huge healing power, decent AOE, and in groups your golden as a healer.

Edit: you cant take down most elites solo though thats only bad part about it not sure of any non-pet spec can solo elites...maybe chloro storms? if the elites not immune to snares seems like could solo or even warlock/storms use snares and dots to wittle them down instant cast your void bolts as you kite.
    Last edited by Lokai; 04-06-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lokai View Post
    sure thing,

Chloro 32/Warlock 30

is build i used for my solo spec i found it much more interesting and useful in general gameplay then necro or elemental builds i am level 45 now and rising and it works like a charm. Huge healing power, decent AOE, and in groups your golden as a healer.

Edit: you cant take down most elites solo though thats only bad part about it not sure of any non-pet spec can solo elites...maybe chloro storms? if the elites not immune to snares seems like could solo or even warlock/storms use snares and dots to wittle them down instant cast your void bolts as you kite.
    Would you suggest heading down the Chloro tree first?

Also would Archon make a good 0 point soul for Pillaging Stone and Searing Vitality?
    Last edited by Arboris; 04-06-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Iri
    Champion

Prior to level 20? There isn't one. Post level 20? Dominator. Never take damage, ever, even if it does take you a bit to kill things. Or pyro... you'll take damage, but with a sub-spec into warlock you can regen, and the race between you and the mob to see who will die first is fun every time.

Telaran

Warlock/Chloro is excellent, and i personally found it more enjoyable for leveling and just as quick as Necrolock - as prior to the Radiant Spore nerf i could easily pull 4-6 mobs and AoE them down with 100%HP remaining and 0 downtime.

It can still be done, but you'll have to be a little more careful

Go down Warlock tree first to pick up essential no-downtime goodies like Life->Mana Transfer and Reconstruct (Uses your charge to fill your HP back up, after you turn it all into mana!) After those abilities however, most of the Warlock tree doesn't get good until the higher levels, so you might as well go down Chloro 8 points for your instant-heal (Bloom) - Very useful!

Just aim for Devouring Shadows ASAP - It's awesome, and worth using on even as few as 2 mobs, as it does more than Void Bolting a single mob.

Even before 20, with all your points into Warlock, you will do fine. You can easily toss your DoTs onto one mob, then Void Bolt a 2nd mob, and kill 2-3 mobs at a time without any downtime. I personally leveled this way from 1-20 without any difficulty, although i did have the 0-point Earth Elemental pet for some extra "help" - he really wasn't very crucial, so you'll be fine without him.

You can easily kill 2-3 mobs at a time, and have excellent survivability - 2 instant heals combined with radiant spores should get you through most tough situations. Use Archon or Dominator for your 0-point soul for an extra DoT or Sheep.

I personally still use a similar build at 50 for AoE-grinding, questing, and PvP.
    Last edited by KooperT; 04-06-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Rift Disciple

34chloro/32lock is the way to go. I pick up archon with no points in it for searing vitality.

run to a camp, pull melee mobs to you with searing vitality, choke a caster, radiant spores, then devouring shadows. mortality if you are dying fast, bloom if you need. Also, essence surge works on yourself, so if things get truly dire, hit that as a last resort.

The biggest advantage of this build is that it also happens to be one of the best group healing builds out there, so no need to respec if you need to heal a dungeon :P

If you want to be a cool kid, try the Dominator soul.

If you want to destroy your enemies easily, try the standard Warlock/Chloro combination.

Soulwalker

Thank you for all the great feedback!

Soulwalker

I have a few more questions...

Warlock/Chloro/Archon Build

What will be my primary rotation when soloing?

I'm not sure what to invest my points in. For example...

From what I read it does not seem like Void Bolt will be part of my rotation so it seems I should not invest points in Improved Void Bolt.

Could someone post a build on what I should be shooting for by level 30?

Thank you!

Soulwalker

I've tried various leveling builds (PvE only) as I like some variety. I also tried to avoid pet classes, although not always. All of them work, although you need to play around with a builder as they tend to have minimum level requirements. I'll also note that standard leveling builds are more efficient, and most of these builds require that you be okay with drinking.

20s through early 30s: Went 13 Chloro, rest SC.
    Fun AoE build, although it doesn't have great single target until you get your damage bonuses high in SC. Ran into 1 boss fight in FC (spider) where I had mana problems.

Late 20s through early 30s: Went 26 Dom, 6 Ele and rest SC.
    Very different single target build, you basically squirrel, get the +50% damage and +50% cast speed, Lightning Strike, Death Edict (stun), Storm Shackle (root + great damage with microburst), Thunderbolt, Thunderblast (triggers microburts), maybe another Thunderbolt, dead mob.

Casters are take more time (they don't run) and it's a bit annoying that many of these are on 30s cooldowns, meaning that every second, sometimes 3rd mob you have sub-optimal damage (depending on how fast you're chaining mobs).

Still, it's fun being able to murder melee mobs before they even get close to you. The pet is useful for CC.

Early 30s: Max SC / 11 Archon.
    Good for dungeons, no mana problems. Had to switch out to SC / Chloro one fight for extra party healing.

Mid 30s: Tried Lock / Chloro.
    It's effective and safe. Not as strong AoE wise as SC. Flipping between health --> mana and charge --> health really isn't much more efficient than drinking.

Chloro nukes are better than I'd imagined (Stream of Reclamation does massive damage; 3 points in Nature's Corrosion doubles damage of Vile Spores and Ruin by adding a 6s dot which is nice). I got bored of this one pretty quickly as I like more risk.

Mid 30s: 15 Dom / max Pyro.
    More effective than I thought it would be. Best single target burst dps that I've seen thus far; basically I squirrel (+50% damage), Countdown, Cinder, Flame Bolt, Fireball / Inferno, Thunderblast and they're pretty much dead.

Doesn't have the "melee optimized/cooldown hindered" weakness of the Dom / Ele / SC. It's nice seeing 1k non-crit hits from Cinder.

You need to manage adds through squirrel and roots (requires some thought vs. just mindlessly pulling everything and AoEing). You also need to manage keeping GoP up for shield (a bit annoying that shield consumes GoP; I often just cast a GoP before mounting and then go about my business so that I can shield whenever I want).

Smoldering Power is actually quite good for mana efficiency, although I prefer seeing full mana bars rather than seeing 50% mana bars (knowing that the next fight will only take me down 10% due to Smoldering Power). Make sure you at least get the in combat Smoldering Power usage for 1 point.

----

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Nevaria; 04-07-2011 at 06:39 AM.

+ Reply to Thread