+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone spending more than 15 in archmage?

Default Anyone spending more than 15 in archmage?

Anyone been playing around with builds that spec deep into the archmage tree? I see alot of opportunity for both offense and defense, but not enough to outweight the synergy with other souls. Figured I'd pick everyone else's brain on the subject.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Shadowlander

While I use 15 points on both of the pvp builds I play (offensive side for pyro and 5/10 offensive/defensive for chlorolock), cant see myself spending any more, since it really takes away a lot from the other souls just like you said, also Rune Shield (never use it much but why not) is a nice breakpoint to shoot for.

Rift Disciple

yeah its not worth going deeper than 15 and even thats a bit too much for some builds.

I'm going to once I get the rank for it. It would just be substiting warlock survival skills with archmage ones, however. (I pvp as chloro/lock/archmage, 26/31/9 atm. This is a healing build, there's more in lock solely due to sweet survival skills.) Not clear if the archmage defensive stuff is better, but ethereal shell looks interesting.

Shadowlander

my dps pvp spec is 18 dominator 32 storm 16 archmage, taking the 30% crit damage bonus from tier 4, and the 3m cooldown instant crit from tier 3. does lots of damage, usually end up with 20+ killing blows in codex and port scion.....other pvp build is 20 lock 32 chlor 14 archmage, taking 10 defensive 4 in +damage, would go 5 but then id lose mortality from lock which i tend to use a lot, nothing like standing in a pile of melee with corrosion and mortality up making me pretty much invincible unless i get interrupted.

Rift Disciple

Was thinking of going 20/21 deep into Arch, go up the far left tree to the skill that guves a 25% chance to hit 5 people around my target for 50% of the damage.. Seems like it can be devestating if used right.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    i spam the **** out of fulminate, in fact it's the only skill i need on my bar

<3 u fulminate

Shadowlander

IMO it seems the effect of putting talent pts into a standard soul is much more giving than the few bonuses you get from Archmage.

I don't consider it to be a real viable soul to spec deep into.

Telaran

Well, since archmage is all about the DPS ( I assume we're going the same 15 points) there's absolutely 0 reason to go anything other than full pyro. If you're healing, support, or anything else like that, you're going chloro/something, dom, or some funky hybrid.

So basically, I only see a reason to use Archmage at all when you're full pyro... anybody tried it with any other combos? Maybe full lock or necro or something?
    -Starsong @ Spitescar

Shadowlander

With full Lock and all available buffs it grants you can get 165% bonus dmg modifiers on your DoT-skills. However DoTs are so pathetic that it wont even bring much that healing can't get through easily.

Shadowlander

If you go hybrid Lock/Pyro 31/35

You can achieve 86% bonus dmg modifiers.

10 (Sac life: dmg) + 10 (Dark Power) + 10 (flamebolt) + 21 (35 pt Burning Bright - penalty countered with Lock's "Vitality") + 15 (GoP) + 20 (Internalize Charge, with Lock it should be easy to keep up - remember to toggle frequently xD)
    That also includes a good bunch of CC and utility. Altho you miss out on the nr. 1 burst skill but instead can use the charge for Internalize Charge and/or Withering Flames.

Here is one spec, it only has 16 in archmage:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...cuusuus.xx0R0c

Here is another funny spec, probably not that practical, but I want to try it one day with uber gear and wf buff.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...usups.xx0R0d0x

Think about it, uber pure dps gear, no survivability, all damage, pocket healer in a premade, and wf buff with heat wave... + collateral damage. THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES.
    Last edited by MrGrimm999; 04-07-2011 at 10:04 AM.

This one, I will admit isn't that good, but it has the potential to be pretty good if they ever get around to buffing dot damage as it would be extremely difficult to kill.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...oqxk.VVd0M0V0z

Nice job Grimm, glad to see someone thinkin outside the box.

I'd considered the collateral damage pyro. Not sure if the range on it would make it worth the sacrifice of points, but would be highly amusing if it did.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

I tried 15 AM 32 lock 19 chloro and it' just felt "off" I only played with one pug so it could have just been one of those WF's where nothing is going to feel good. I plan on going back to somethin like that again though.
    Hi, I'm Xenic. I came to blow $hit up

You could do a beast most 44 Necro spec

44 Necro/20 in the Defensive Side of the tree (25% less damage on being stunned and silenced for example)

Or you could try and stress healers and go up the opposite side and pickup that double mana cost curse.

That'd be nasty I bet.
    Xsorus - Rank 8 Mage/Server Seastone/Guardian/Guild - Desolate

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast