+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Warlock dots in pvp.

Default Warlock dots in pvp.

My spellpower is 700, mostly pvp gear.

my dots tick for 90, 110, and 120 with the 15% boost in archmage.

on average a full row of dots does 3k damage to a player over 18 seconds.

Does this not seem like complete trash to anyone else? Why are dots so gimp? Why are 18 seconds worth of dots worth no more than 2 fireballs?

All i want to do is play a dot class but its pretty impossible to play anything but roflmancer in pvp.
    Last edited by FxyO; 04-06-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Gladiators Warrior Rogue Hunter Priest RIP Arena
    Fixa - Prestige 6 Stormcaller - deleted because defiant are useless.

I agree, it would seem that 3-4 dots should be able to finish off an unhealed player. DOTs are able to be removed and they can be outhealed. The strength of a single DOT should be equivalent to 1/4-1/3 of a Players Health.

Shadowlander

The reason they dont do more is because you can apply them and leave them, allowing you to run around healing or casting other spells while they do damage.

Seems like what your asking for is to be able to spend 5-6 seconds applying dots, and that player then dieing to them while you then apply those same dots to another player.

Think rationally now, wouldnt that be a bit stupid?

Soulwalker

Default dots are a joke

The problem with warlock is there is too many dots, and too little dmg. i can cast every single dot and before the last one is up the first has come off.

My dots do terrible dps also, its better to spam void bolts.

They really need to buff dot dmg though its really not worth applying them.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by FxyO View Post
    My spellpower is 700, mostly pvp gear.

my dots tick for 90, 110, and 120 with the 15% boost in archmage.

on average a full row of dots does 3k damage to a player over 18 seconds.

Does this not seem like complete trash to anyone else? Why are dots so gimp? Why are 18 seconds worth of dots worth no more than 2 fireballs?

All i want to do is play a dot class but its pretty impossible to play anything but roflmancer in pvp.
    Agreed its sad when the main dot mage is being out performed by clerics and warriors for dot dmg.

Seriously though Trion needs to balance the mage callings from the perspective to make it worthwhile for a person to invest 51 points in a class. For balance issues a 51 point warlock should do as much dps as a person that has invested 51 points in pyro or 51 points in necro or a person that has invested necro / warlock build, but that isnt the case.

My suggestion is to change the skill that increases dot damage from .6 per level to 2% per level. This would make a 137% increase to dot damage for a 51pt warlock.

Mage dots suck, all there is to it.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Quote Originally Posted by jereome View Post
    Agreed its sad when the main dot mage is being out performed by clerics and warriors for dot dmg.

Seriously though Trion needs to balance the mage callings from the perspective to make it worthwhile for a person to invest 51 points in a class. For balance issues a 51 point warlock should do as much dps as a person that has invested 51 points in pyro or 51 points in necro or a person that has invested necro / warlock build, but that isnt the case.

My suggestion is to change the skill that increases dot damage from .6 per level to 2% per level. This would make a 137% increase to dot damage for a 51pt warlock.
    This is exactly what i thought. The talent that increases the damage of dots per point in the tree definitely needs buff. .6% is absolutely nothing when the damage of the dots is already so low to begin with. i gain 30.6% (without the initial 15%) to dot damage for 51 points spent in warlock. Sad.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousGoat View Post
    The reason they dont do more is because you can apply them and leave them, allowing you to run around healing or casting other spells while they do damage.

Seems like what your asking for is to be able to spend 5-6 seconds applying dots, and that player then dieing to them while you then apply those same dots to another player.

Think rationally now, wouldnt that be a bit stupid?
    And yet warlocks in wow functioned exactly like this, and we're still easily able to be countered. An affliction lock could put up 3-4 dots on a person and that person would die without healing, and yet it was still balanced by the fact that dots are so easily countered by healing, and can simply be removed. Hell, there isn't even dispel protection or UA in this game. If you're going to have a soul built completely around dots, they really *need* to be doing more damage. They barely do more damage than a nuke, over a much longer period of time, and are easily susceptible to dispels, which are very plentiful in this game. They really should be boosting the spell coefficients of dots across the board.

Rift Master

Warlock DoTs are fine. Your DoTs are not the only source of your damage as a warlock, the good ones you use are instant cast and thus supposed to be used while moving, and as you don't mention, can also crit.

3k damge over 18 seconds isn't bad, esp when you factor in crits which could put your damage anywhere from 3500-4500 in that same time period.

Also, don't forget about Empowered Darkness. This can make your dots into real nightmares.

Lets say (using example above, 15% in archmage), that this 3k damage is getting modified by 80% normally (45% from dot tactic, 20% from warlock tactics, 15% from archmage), so the base damage is close to 1700 over those 18 seconds. With Empowered Darkness, your bonus is going up to roughly 155%, so that takes the total damage done to about 4350 over 18 seconds, without any crits. With crits that damage is likely to be anywhere from 5500-7800 damage over that timeframe. And of course, you can still use DD/attack other targets all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Foofmonger View Post
    Warlock DoTs are fine. Your DoTs are not the only source of your damage as a warlock, the good ones you use are instant cast and thus supposed to be used while moving, and as you don't mention, can also crit.

3k damge over 18 seconds isn't bad, esp when you factor in crits which could put your damage anywhere from 3500-4500 in that same time period.

Also, don't forget about Empowered Darkness. This can make your dots into real nightmares.

Lets say (using example above, 15% in archmage), that this 3k damage is getting modified by 80% normally (45% from dot tactic, 20% from warlock tactics, 15% from archmage), so the base damage is close to 1700 over those 18 seconds. With Empowered Darkness, your bonus is going up to roughly 155%, so that takes the total damage done to about 4350 over 18 seconds, without any crits. With crits that damage is likely to be anywhere from 5500-7800 damage over that timeframe. And of course, you can still use DD/attack other targets all at the same time.
    empowered darkness? aka no defile?

Ascendant

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0M.xLoNkoqgo.x

might work for a DoT spec. drain power for charge dump and leeching flames does INSANE damage, at least compared to our other DoTs. Pretty much just run 3/4 auras (skipping vit of stone) for 12% damage as well.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Foofmonger View Post

So here is the question you should be asking can a 51 point warlock go head to head with a 51 point pyro and do similar Dmg?

Or how bout a 51 necro? Or any other dps class.

Remember warlock is a dps class and not just some other class that you invest a few points to buff your main build. If that was the case then it should have been named pve archmage.

Telaran

Default meh...

its sad really as a lover of dot classes and control based classes seems rather silly that dots do so little damage...yes yes i could go around spamming dots on every target however as far as i can tell warlocks have ONE instant dot rest require a cast time. Would be a differant story if warlocks had a zillion dots all could be cast while moving or running but that is not the case. Heck even debuffs warlocks have are mediocre in general. Warlocks are suppose to be " the dot class" then make them as such... dots should be dealing significant damage, and as for pvp probably needs some kind of dot protection mechanic.

The problem? i think warlocks in general are weak damage wise is because of amazing boost they give to every other soul. The real issue in my eyes is that warlocks give such an amazing buff to every other soul that if they MADE them the dot class of choice, you'd see people running warloc+X and gain great dots and single target damage... the solution? either going to have to remove the % damage talents to all damage from soul and add it to other souls over all or convert thet % damage talents to apply to dots and shadow damage only. Over all i think fear has been if you make warlock dots to good, and allow them to buff all other souls... you'll end up with Warlock+X can do a bit of everything.

Other solution is to make the deep warlock abilities buff up warlock dots to a higher degree, i think warlock is mostly a support class right now and works to that degree very very well.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by jereome View Post
    So here is the question you should be asking can a 51 point warlock go head to head with a 51 point pyro and do similar Dmg?

Or how bout a 51 necro? Or any other dps class.

Remember warlock is a dps class and not just some other class that you invest a few points to buff your main build. If that was the case then it should have been named pve archmage.
    51 necro is actually pretty terrible as opposed to 51 warlock/15 archon. Both are pretty bad though. IMO, and I've said this many times but empowered darkness should be changed to ONLY effect DoT spells but have its CD removed(still drain charge). That would make lock a viable DoT class. I mean, 75% of 100 damage dots is still only 175, but it would help. Might be pretty beastly for leeching flames though.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 04-06-2011 at 05:30 PM.

So how do you use defile and empowered darkness at the same time? please explain~
    Well hello there~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast