+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where does Withering Flames fit into Pyro rotation?

Default Where does Withering Flames fit into Pyro rotation?

So based on my original level 50 spec template (pyro/ele/lock), my plan was to take pyro to 32 and stop at Withering Flames which I have accomplished this past weekend. Currently my rotation is purely reactive based on procs, fireball > ignite > flamebolt , then whatever ability procs produce (opportunity, wildfire, insta cinderbust, etc). Since I have gotten withering flames, I cannot see any benefit to using it and it seems no matter where I try to include it in my rotation, it seems as though it continues to be a dps loss.

What use is this spell? How are others using it? At this point I am leaning towards dropping this ability completely and using that extra point elsewhere thus stopping at 31 Pyro.

Can anyone enlighten me or is this basically a useless spell in comparison to the other abilities that I could have used during the 4 second channel?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwind1 View Post
    So based on my original level 50 spec template (pyro/ele/lock), my plan was to take pyro to 32 and stop at Withering Flames which I have accomplished this past weekend. Currently my rotation is purely reactive based on procs, fireball > ignite > flamebolt , then whatever ability procs produce (opportunity, wildfire, insta cinderbust, etc). Since I have gotten withering flames, I cannot see any benefit to using it and it seems no matter where I try to include it in my rotation, it seems as though it continues to be a dps loss.

What use is this spell? How are others using it? At this point I am leaning towards dropping this ability completely and using that extra point elsewhere thus stopping at 31 Pyro.

Can anyone enlighten me or is this basically a useless spell in comparison to the other abilities that I could have used during the 4 second channel?
    I never use that pos...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Lothamar View Post
    I never use that pos...
    ^^
    I dont use it either.
    That "pos" spell is yet another "hey I'm over here come stun me or drop me as fast as you can" spell. Try to stick with spells that dont give up your location as much as possible. Yea, hard to do with pyro, but it helps you hide in a crowd and live a little longer.

Rift Disciple

You use it on people running away.

Ascendant

Withering Flames is not even on my hotkey bar. You're better off using your charge for IC.
    Last edited by MoonDragn; 04-06-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Ascendant

the damage is kinda low for what it does.

I would love to see the ability lose the cooldown so that it might actually be more multi-purpose.

or make it into a non-channel that is simply a DoT that ramps up higher and higher over 6-8s while draining charge.

Easier to just use lethargy, and even that spell sucks. WF is god awful. If you want to snare someone, use lockdown.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Rift Disciple

Its not too bad, lethargy hits for much lower. When you have no other instacasts available its a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrina View Post
    Its not too bad, lethargy hits for much lower. When you have no other instacasts available its a good option.
    Since it is channeled, it would seem as though i would be better off during those 4 seconds with two fireballs which would likely yield higher dps than a 4 stack WF.

Talk about a unanimous response, sounds like unspeccing it which will allow me an additional point into tempest is the way to go at least until Trion buffs or changes the spell to make it useful in the future.

Thanks for the feed back everyone!!

Ascendant

like most channels though, it works through LoS and range, unlike casting fireballs, so it does have that going for it.

Shadowlander

OK seriously no one has mentioned this. GOS + Withering Flames = stuns

+ Reply to Thread