+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Viable counter to pvp Pyro/Dominator soul?

  1. #1
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,001

    Default Viable counter to pvp Pyro/Dominator soul?

    So I started some level 50 pvp today and was astounded to find that the pyro/dominator was so strong against a chloromancer with 5551 hp.

    The build seems to be something like this and relies mostly on casting transmogrify (polly) which via the talents in Dominator then reduce the cast time of your next spell (swift control) and increase it's damage by 50% (controlled opportunity), this is combined with casting Cinder burst after the polly and following thru with an instant like Flame Bolt, then maybe if needed inferno.

    Resulting in a 3800 cinderburst and 1200 Flame Bolt or there abouts.

    Only counter I can think of is to cast break free then silence but they'd only need to track you down within the 2 minute cool-down of break free and do the same thing.

    Here's a screenshot of the damage.






  2. #2
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    27 veiws? no replies... I take it there's simply no counter then?






  3. #3
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    So I started some level 50 pvp today and was astounded to find that the pyro/dominator was so strong against a chloromancer with 5551 hp.

    The build seems to be something like this and relies mostly on casting transmogrify (polly) which via the talents in Dominator then reduce the cast time of your next spell (swift control) and increase it's damage by 50% (controlled opportunity), this is combined with casting Cinder burst after the polly and following thru with an instant like Flame Bolt, then maybe if needed inferno.

    Resulting in a 3800 cinderburst and 1200 Flame Bolt or there abouts.

    Only counter I can think of is to cast break free then silence but they'd only need to track you down within the 2 minute cool-down of break free and do the same thing.

    Here's a screenshot of the damage.
    Heh only chance you have is to spec into a dispel (like necro), then use CC on them. Of course by the time you finally get GoS to dispell, you will probably be down to 10% hp. I've run into the same thing on my chloro/lock. He's got a shield, at least 30% damage reduction, and can get off about 3-4 spells in the time you get off 1-2 heals. And his spells are going to hit harder than the heals. Their only weakness is they tend to have low hp, but this is made up by the 30-50% damage reduction, shields usually.

    Also, silence doesn't work on them in GoS.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    27 veiws? no replies... I take it there's simply no counter then?
    Spec Dom/Chloro/Pyro do the same to him with survivability built into your spec.

  5. #5
    Sword of Telara Furienify's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Faeblight
    Posts
    805

    Default

    You're not going to counter it unless you manage to CC him first or have backup.

    You're pretty much SOL there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

  6. #6
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    No they're not in GoS.

    I am polly'ed/sheeped/transmogrified running around as a squirrel. I can use break free while they cast Cinderburst and try and silence them instantly hoping they don't just break their cast and hit me with another transmogrify.
    They have no cd on transmogrify. After casting it they have their cast speed and damage increased x 50% on the next spell.
    This mage was doing this the entire game. I wasn't the only one being two shot by this and it may as well be 2 shot with instants because the polly can be re-applied at least 3 times before immune and far as I know only a paladin (warrior) can have 2x removals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrial View Post
    Spec Dom/Chloro/Pyro do the same to him with survivability built into your spec.
    I am certain he has survivability via the damage output and Archmage soul. This is the main thing that bugs me with lvl 50 pvp it's almost pointless trying to be heals and healing team mates when you simply can't last the damage or heal others through it. In Port scion average cleric heals are dying 11 times a game. Seriously..
    Last edited by Detill5869; 04-06-2011 at 08:19 AM.






  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    217

    Default

    break free, and be ready to use natural conversion. Natural conversion is the key against pyros, also essence surge on yourself if you have to to live thru the burst.
    Mesk
    [Lunchbox Bandits]

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    No they're not in GoS.

    I am polly'ed/sheeped/transmogrified running around as a squirrel. I can use break free while they cast Cinderburst and try and silence them instantly hoping they don't just break their cast and hit me with another transmogrify.
    They have no cd on transmogrify. After casting it they have their cast speed and damage increased x 50% on the next spell.
    This mage was doing this the entire game. I wasn't the only one being two shot by this and it may as well be 2 shot with instants because the polly can be re-applied at least 3 times before immune and far as I know only a paladin (warrior) can have 2x removals.
    Quick rundown...When he transmorgrifies you don't flicker immediately, allow for cinder to get halfway through. Flicker, cast reflective command reflect the cinder back. Follow it up with a transmorgrify of your own, fake cast a cinder...If he flickers out, death's edict him, followed up with haunting pain and storm shackle. If you are weary of taking dmg, pop one of your two shields (fire shield first) or use natural conversion...After the opener it's all down hill from there.

    Pyro/Dom/Arch is more difficult to deal with than GoS/Fulm Pyros, but after the opener you have plenty of chances to reset or turn the fight immediately after.
    Last edited by Pyrial; 04-06-2011 at 08:24 AM.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Bleeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    I've been using pyro/dom build like the one you're talking about for awhile now. I have 26 in pyro and after the instant trans I generally throw a cinderburst followed by a death's edict (26 point dom nuke, 3 sec stun+slow), followed by a fireball, then whatever instants or procs I have until they die.

    It really doesn't matter what people do, they die basically every time.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Pyro/Dom is a good pvp build. You need to focus on surviving which I've done as chloro/lock by getting Living Shell, Neddra's Essence then instant heals off between squirrels. And there's another insta-shield you can get if you give up AM.

  11. #11
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk View Post
    break free, and be ready to use natural conversion. Natural conversion is the key against pyros, also essence surge on yourself if you have to to live thru the burst.
    This does sound like a good counter, thanks Mesk. I wonder too if the 6 points in Dominator would be worth it for a chloromancer pvp build, given that I've become quite disolusioned by warlock as a chloromancer secondary soul for pvp. 6 points buys me Reflective command which for 10 secs is going to reflect that 2nd Transmogrify attempt.

    10% intellect from Accumen should also help to balance out the hp loss without warlock.






  12. #12
    Ascendant Bleeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    26 points in dom, not pyro.... wouldn't let me edit.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    This does sound like a good counter, thanks Mesk. I wonder too if the 6 points in Dominator would be worth it for a chloromancer pvp build, given that I've become quite disolusioned by warlock as a chloromancer secondary soul for pvp. 6 points buys me Reflective command which for 10 secs is going to reflect that 2nd Transmogrify attempt.

    10% intellect from Accumen should also help to balance out the hp loss without warlock.

    Great group chloro, but is also good at 1 v 1 or even 1 v 2 spec chloro/dom/arch

    Great 1 v 1, fun combo, Dom/chloro/Pyro

    Between the 2, there is a great deal of back and forth when pvp'ing. It isn't a blow someone up in two casts combo, nor is it a get blown up in two moves combo. You still are capable of locking someone down, both melee and caster, without even being hit.

  14. #14
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Well I'll give the chloro/Dom/Arch a try I think. Would much prefer to keep the chloro heals but I guess lately I've been feeling less useful given the abundant healing modifiers and cc in pvp. I did try the dom/pyro but was in a port scion game and the other team had oodles of healing, every 2nd target as either Inquisitor or bard, so it didn't seem that good.

    I think you're right Pyrial when you referred to breaking the Trans mid cinderburst cast. I think why this combo of souls seems so strong is that many wait out a Transmogrify and save their break free for stuns/mezz's not expecting to take 4k+ damage following it.

    Oh how many mages are adding /stopcasting before their Tansmogrify macro's after reading this thread? lolz
    Last edited by Detill5869; 04-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.






  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    Well I'll give the chloro/Dom/Arch a try I think. Would much prefer to keep the chloro heals but I guess lately I've been feeling less useful given the abundant healing modifiers and cc in pvp. I did try the dom/pyro but was in a port scion game and the other team had oodles of healing, every 2nd target as either Inquisitor or bard, so it didn't seem that good.

    I think you're right Pyrial when you referred to breaking the Trans mid cinderburst cast. I think why this combo of souls seems so strong is that many wait out a Transmogrify and save their break free for stuns/mezz's not expecting to take 4k+ damage following it.
    Here's a 1 v 1 with the Dom/Chloro/Pyro combo *note* this is not a show of skill. It was just a quick record with no editing, but shows the back and forth that the combo can provide. You can do this to any melee and any caster. You can do the same thing as Chloro/Dom/Arch but with greater healing and group utility. More importantly it is fun. It slows the game down.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRG-1RCAvXk
    Last edited by Pyrial; 04-06-2011 at 08:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts