+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elite soloing spec?

Telaran

Default Elite soloing spec?

Currently 29 or so , dusted off my mage and noticed i can now solo rifts to level 5 when i used to struggle having enough dps to get past 3. Anyways i'm having trouble killing the elite mob on the last wave. On my other toons, i would just use the crystals creatively and usually kill the mob before the green crystal expires. Are there any specs capable of soloing them? I tried using a lock/necro tank pet and i just couldnt heal the damage before i eventually ran out of hp to transfer.

Do mages have decent kiting specs? most elites i would just kite but most mage snares i noticed have a cast time and a cooldown.

Necro/Chloro.

That's what I use, since the patch your Knight can tank anything (aggro wise) and Chloro nukes will heal him easily.

Another attempt is using Elementalist + anything (something with DoTs) with improved Quicken Elements. You'll have to spam it all the time, leaving you only time to apply some dots and a single nuke here and there (depending on the strength of the elite mob ofc), but as a result your lil rock buddy is kinda invincible.

There are other attempts involving Dom and/or SC for some nice kiting and cc terror. But I honestly never was too successful with those.

Yeah with that improved quicken elements and elemental link/planar expansion for an extra 30%dmg reduction your earth pet can tank damn near anything other than a raid boss, its quite impressive. Its just might take awhile with you not being able to spam nukes and keep up the healing at the same time. I've tried the same elites with both necro tank and ele tank and its faster with the necro but not nearly as safe, you're one hit away from him being toast the whole time while earth pet cruises along easily.

Shadowlander

On bosses that can be slowed, a heavy stormcaller build can work for kiting. Your ideal skills are:
    - Arctic Chill
    - Improved Electrocute
    - Ride The Wind
    - Shell Shock
    - Wind Chill
    - Static Barrier

You don't need all of them, but each one gives you a backup for the fact that Icicle takes so long to cast can cause trouble at times.

I don't know if you'll be able to manage at level 29. But pretty soon an Elem/Chloro build can also allow you to solo pretty much any single elite, including some instance bosses. Simply put synthesis on your earth elemental and start nuking away. When you get further into chloro, you'll get some nice mana regen abilities, so you don't have to worry about that either.
    Last edited by Peledornik; 04-06-2011 at 05:11 AM.

Ascendant

Necro/chloro - no need to kite.

Ascendant

I currently use a Elementalist/Pyro/Chloro to handle elites. The chloro soul is just there for the spores for extra heals.

With the last patch the Elemental can now keep his agro better so the chance the elite comes attacking you is less. However you still need to be careful not to hit the mob too hard or else you'll still draw agro.

Another spec that you can use on Melee elites is Dominator/Archon. Take advantage of the extra dmg from something being transmogrified and use Death's edict to let your Transmogrify's DR wear off. For caster elites you need to use silence and reflect effectively.
    Last edited by MoonDragn; 04-06-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Telaran

What does a necro/chloro build look like? Do i put 12 points in necro for the tank pet then dump everything in chloro? Chloro to 16 for natures grasp then dump everything in necro?

While we're on the topic of chloro, are they still viable solo/main healers in dungeons? I healed rotf and dd just fine before the patch but i read their healing seems to have taken a hit. Are they support/off healers now like the bard soul?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by veryaverage View Post
    While we're on the topic of chloro, are they still viable solo/main healers in dungeons? I healed rotf and dd just fine before the patch but i read their healing seems to have taken a hit. Are they support/off healers now like the bard soul?
    The difference wasn't that great. You can still main heal the tank in instances with the Chloro. Radiant spores took a slight decrease in chance to proc, but it was never meant to be the main healing ability of the chloro anyway. The number of people healed by lifegiving veil was reduced, but that only affected raids not single 5 man instances.

Skeleton tanking would be a gamble if you don't go all the way to Clattering Bones.
    But try it if you feel mighty. After all, there's always FD. =P

Yes, earth pet is "easy" but that alone costs you about 24 points. Just the pet.
    You can buy a lot of CC and damage for that so pets are not the only way to solo.

Chloro is still a main healing class, tied with clerics. Which is better depends on the situation.
    A chloro is quite limited in a secondary healer role. Without Synthesis you have too few direct heals on too long cooldowns.
    Constantly pumping HP into one tank without running OOM? Can do.

Using chloro for peat healing (or decent group healing) you'll want Natural Fusion. That's about as high as you need to go.
    Tired of wading through vast rivers of tears? Use this awesome forum feature!

elementalist/chloro or necro/chloro, i prefer ele now with the 1.1 pet changes

Shadowlander

51 Ele works great now. You don't need Choro to heal at all.

-X

Rift Disciple

When you are high enough to get the greater pets. Ele/Chloro build is hands down the strongest pve solo spec in the game, out of any class. lvl 50 earth pet, 5k+ health, full heals not costing mana/charge anytime you want in 3-4 seconds, infinite mana and amazing heals.
    Easily able to solo any elite, elites that take 2-3 players also easily soloable. This is my personel PvE spec, love it to death. Beats the hell outta any neco or warlock spec you can think of

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...k0goAtz.xdhuoq

Alysinchains
    50 Mage
    Ashtone

I'll have to try the necro/chloro Im lv 40 running a war/necro/chloro, it was pretty good at early levels but is getting harder now.
    PC
    Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
    XFX Ati 5970 HD Black Edition 2GB GDDR5
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition 6 Cores
    8 Gigs Patriot Ram (Timings 5-5-5-12)
    x2 350GB WD Velociraptor
    x2 2TB WD HDD's
    PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR TURBO-COOL 1KW-SR 1000W
    Swiftech Watercooled
    Samsung 30" 2560x1600

Quote Originally Posted by Xymph View Post
    51 Ele works great now. You don't need Choro to heal at all.

-X
    how do you do on 3 - 4 equal lvl elites at a time?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Alysinchains View Post
    When you are high enough to get the greater pets. Ele/Chloro build is hands down the strongest pve solo spec in the game, out of any class. lvl 50 earth pet, 5k+ health, full heals not costing mana/charge anytime you want in 3-4 seconds, infinite mana and amazing heals.
    Easily able to solo any elite, elites that take 2-3 players also easily soloable. This is my personel PvE spec, love it to death. Beats the hell outta any neco or warlock spec you can think of

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...k0goAtz.xdhuoq

Alysinchains
    50 Mage
    Ashtone
    You should try a 51 point build. Swarming flames does a ton of DPS, it just rips though heroics.
    To me the points in Chloro are wasted due to the Elementalist heal.

-X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast