+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: THE Chloromancer Raid/play Guide

Rift Chaser

Default THE Chloromancer Raid/play Guide

So I'm the top healer for a top 20 world ranked raid guild, Ive played Chloro all throughout beta, leveled as a Chloro through dungeons on release, and top the raid healing meters on a regular basis, and can easily Solo heal Expert DSM. I may not be the best Chloro in the world, but I'm close to as experienced you can be so far. Seeing alot of the Chloro talk on these forums from people who stand around in Meridian all day trolling and playing guessing games with speccs made me cringe enough to make a real guide.
    So first - gear, theres alot of people who think gearing a mage is crit, crit, crit, then more crit. Now I do not know much about mage dps and crit may have more validity for them, but for healing its int, int, int, then more int. Lets compare 2 pairs of T2 mage leggings.
    The Leggings of Crystalized Blood
    Int-25
    wisdom-14
    endurance-18
    spell power-13
    Unwavering Darkcloth Leggings
    INT-22
    wisdom-17
    spell power-18
    spell critical hit-13
    Most players would look at those and think "no brainer Darkcloth leggings are better". Now in reality the Crystalized Blood leggings are equal or slightly better for healing. On my stat sheet unbuffed they look like this.
    -Crystalized Blood
    Spell power-923
    crit-649
    focus-232
    Health-5107
    Mana-5317

-Darkcloth Leggings
    Spell Power-922
    Crit-647
    Focus-232
    Health-4900
    Mana-5147

Now not only does INT gives you spell power and crit, but it also raises your mana pool. The idea behind INT > Spell Power > crit is that for healing the main tank it is much better to hit hard every time than it is to take a chance to get 3 or 4 non crits in a row while the tanks health drops, think about how the stats translate into "consistent strong healing". Keep this idea with you, it is tried and true as the usual healing meter between me and a crit specced Chloro in raid looks something like me 400,000 them 200,000. At around 1300 spell power the value of crit increases, at that point with the spell coefficents you will be hitting your peak even with no crit. One last note, is that while endurance is by no means a stat you should be looking for, there is alot of burst aoe damage on the whole raid in Greenscale, for instance Prince Hylas does a big aoe once every 20 seconds that does around 4500 damage to everyone and then immediately starts ticking 1500 a tick. A few pieces of gear with NO ENDURANCE at all can leave your health pool a bit to low and make these rinse repeat aoe healing situations to much of a chance for you to perish, and your the one keeping the tank alive, and your the one with the battle rezz, you dying as Chloro is bad.

Next Ill cover the optimal Speccs and there situational use.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...x.EdIuo0ckoM.m
    this is the specc that the 2nd Chloro in my raid uses, he is a very good player and tries to get away from cookie cutter builds as much as he possibly can but not to the detriment of his healing or the raid. Also hes a crit wh&^%

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Vqxo.EdIuoVczo
    This build is specifically used for the 2nd boss in Greenscale, the Infiltrator. This fight is one of those mechanics where everyone is responsible for keeping themselves alive. As the main tank healer you have to deal with bombs appearing under your feet during Natures touch casts, Blinding bombs forcing you to turn your back away from the tank for a short time, Then Blinding bombs, and wisps in the final phase with almost constant movement and hardly any room for error. The wisps instantly kill people and you can be knocked into them, blinding bomb could walk your character into them for you and this is where Neddra's and Shadow life become invaluable. If you die the tank is going to die and in the final phase that can happen easily to even the best Chloro caught in a bad spot with a blinding bomb at a bad angle. Use the survival cooldowns preemptively when you see a bad situation coming and save the PVP trinket for extra protection from bad blinding bomb deaths, these can save you, which saves the tank. This build is also great when you are running an expert dungeon with a new/learning/ or sketchy tank. Neddra's essence, shadow life, and living shell all popped turn you into a tank for 8 seconds or so and will save many wipes.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0VVx.EdIzqVczo
    This specc is used for the First (Duke), Third (Oracle), and Fourth (Prince Hylas) Boss's in Greenscale raid. In each of these fights there are scary aoe damage moments that happen often and usually drop the whole raid under 30% health. In each of these fight's using Neddra's essence, Shadow life, or Living shell at these moments might save you, but those global cd's wasted caused everyone else to die. For these fights Flourish is amazing (especially after the living veil nerf). This specc has the maximum boost to your flourish and Wild growth, try to time the aoe incoming damage with a Wild growth the first time a boss uses his aoe so that you can get off as many Wild growths as possible throughout the fight, using atleast 3 in a fight and using flourish while its ticking is amazing raid healing. On Prince Hylas his AOE happens once every 20 seconds which happens to be the cooldown of Flourish, so after the first Flourish you now have a timer for when the next are coming, when there is 5 or 6 seconds until Flourish cools down, get a fresh Withering Vines and Radiant Spores up, then try to time a Natures Touch to hit a split second after the AOE goes off, followed by an instant Flourish, this will top the tank back up and save the raid everytime.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...oorz.EdIuoVczo
    This is the Archon/Chloro specc which is completely useless for raids because not only is using Archon/Chloro a nerf to your own healing output but you will have a real 51 point archon in there making your much stronger Chloro/Lock specc even that much more powerful. But I added it because in Expert dungeons along with a good Bard you can provide almost full raid buffs to a group. The tank will be a beast and the other 2 dps will be shredding dps and at the same time the bards healing will be making up for your weakened state. I have used this specc on Skarn and every other final boss of the expert dungeons mostly just for fun, but there is one huge bonus. If you have no one in the group with an offensive dispell Cleansing Flames comes in handy, use it liberally to weaken mobs and boss'sit could even make boss's you have traditionally had trouble with a non issue including the bubble shield on the caster boss in RD that dumb DPS always seem to kill themselves on.

I will cover the rotations for Chloro, its really a simple concept that becomes quite dynamic and fun the better you get at it.
    The basic rotation goes as follows....
    cast Natures Touch, try to time it when the tank pulls so it hits right when he takes the initial damage, follow that with an instant Ruin or Radiant Spores. The decision should be based on whether the tank is taking massive damage from a single target then use Ruin, it will hit at the same time as the Natures Touch and fill a tank from the brink of death to full. On an aoe pack using Radiant spores is the answer because tanks cleave into the mobs giving the a very high chance to heal themselves. Any instant spell can be used after a Natures touch, but you always cast a Vile spores after then directly into the next Natures touch cast. The only two exceptions are withering vines and wild growth, they are both used exactly like any instant spell directly after a natures touch, and should be followed by a Vile spores like any instant used here, but cause a slight delay on the next natures touch. We also have two damage cooldowns we should use efficiently but they do not stack with eachother. Entropic veil is very important, you want to use it every time your charge bar is full and it is off the global cooldown meaning you should use it during the global CD caused after any instant cast. Sacrifice life damage can be used right before a pull but the entropic veil is more powerful and will overwrite the sacrifice life before you have gotten maximum use out of it. Sacrifice life has a 2 minute cooldown that matches perfectly with Wild Growth and since wild growth drains your charge bar use them together so that your damaging spells can continue to have bonus damage without Entopic veil eating your charge bar and cutting your Wild Growth short. As soon as the Wild growth is over use Entropic veil and keep it up as much as possible till the next time Wild growth and Sacrifice life cooldown.
    A typical fight rotation will look like this...
    Natures touch, Ruin, Vile spores
    Natures touch, Radiant spores, Vile spores (this will get you to 90%+ charge bar)
    (Entropic veil)Natures touch, Withering Vines, Vile spores
    Natures touch, Living shell, Vile spores
    Natures touch, Ruin, Vile spores
    Natures touch, Radiant spores, Vile spores (charge bar goes empty)
    (sacrifice life:damage)Natures touch, Wild growth, Vile spores
    Natures touch, Flourish, Vile spores
    Natures Touch, Ruin, Vile spores
    Natures touch, Radiant spores, Vile spores (Wild growth is over and you have a full charge bar)
    (Entropic veil)Natures touch, Withering vines, Vile spores

A few tips for the raid boss's in greenscale.
    The first boss has the dps switching targets to kill faeries and shamblers, do not worry about switching targets, just stay on the boss the whole fight and keep the tank and raid healing going smoothly. At the start of the fight you will be piled on the boss's butt, when he emotes that he is about to go into berserk mode move towards the center of the room where you can reach the boss with your spells as he gets kited around the room in a large circle, again this is to keep your rotation and healing as smooth as possible. So move to the center for beserk mode, back to the boss's rear when he goes back to phase 1, just 2 movements rinse repeat. A well timed wild growth followed by a Flourish when the faeries come out and start to do raid damage can carry the whole raid to victory.

On the second boss it will probably be you and one or two clerics on the main tank so if the boss puts bombs under you dont finish that Natures touch cast, cut off the cast and move immediately, then start your rotation over with a natures touch, Your survival is imperative. In the 2nd and 3rd Phase when you must turn your back to the tank alot to avoid getting blinded from the blinding bombs use Flourish and make a macro that says /target tanks name /cast Bloom. Use those 2 to help the clerics that can fully heal the tank with there backs turned to keep the tank topped off until you can turn around and start your rotation again. Save neddra's essence, shadow life, and your pvp trinket for the final phase. If a blinding bomb combined with the ground bombs seems sketchy use your survival CD's, dont wait till its too late.

the third boss Is all about keeping the tank up while not tunnel visioning, have someone call out the debuff that blows up the raid, try to keep your rotation going smoothly while being rdy to turn and run behind the bush's if your the bomb so you dont kill everyone, dont let the stress of the bomb appearing on you while your looking at tank health make your rotation get sloppy. Lastly Use wild growth and flourish for the AOE's, if you get comfortable with when the aoe is coming, put up a fresh Withering vines a few seconds ahead of time aswell.

Prince Hylas is all about timing heals with massive AOE damage, running out of bombs, and yelling at the dps to get the frack away from you when the oracle comes out (she has an aoe sheep). If you get sheeped call it out so the other healers know to blow CD's to keep the raid up.

So I hope this cleared up alot of misconceptions about Chloromancers, i hope it makes some good Chloro's better, and mostly I hope it helps new lvl 50 mages afraid to try Chloro to go in with confidence and carry there groups like pro's.

Rift Master

Thanks for this Much appreciated.

Soulwalker

which build do u use for solohealing DSM expert =DD

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweed View Post
    which build do u use for solohealing DSM expert =DD
    The 34 Chloro 32 Lock specc, there are a few times where Neddra's and Shadow life are life savers, for example the 5th boss (its like a robot dog with crystals you must kill that release adds) even if you have a pro tank, because taunts in this game seem to have a delay on them the adds that release from the crystals can get on you, the survival cooldowns trivialize that.

Ascendant

Cleansing Flames is a defensive dispel, not and offensive one. I don't believe it can dispel enemies, only allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    Cleansing Flames is a defensive dispel, not and offensive one. I don't believe it can dispel enemies, only allies.
    I would like to direct you to: http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/50000...Purging-Flames

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    Not only does it work on the boss in RD I described, It also for example works on the Large black ghosts that pull with a pack of lots of small ghosts. Try it on those and watch how easy the pulls become, they go from being a sometimes sketchy pull to a simple solo healable yawnfest. Its preferable to have a Cleric dps that can do the purging for you obviously.

Plane Walker

Thank you a lot for the info on GSB, it is really helpful.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by LatsyrcMoy View Post
    I wasn't aware of that talent. Thank you.

Soulwalker

Why do you not grab essence surge in any of these specs?

I have heard that the healing potential of Withering Vines only applies on the 1st tick, and therefore another casting of Vile Spores is more beneficial for your rotation.

Do you utilize it for it's DoT feature, knowing that your healing skill/abilities are sufficient to allow some DPS leeway, or is this a recommended cycle for a beginning chloro healer?

Quote Originally Posted by Combustion View Post
    The Leggings of Crystalized Blood
    Int-25
    wisdom-14
    endurance-18
    spell power-13
    Unwavering Darkcloth Leggings
    INT-22
    wisdom-17
    spell power-18
    spell critical hit-13
    Most players would look at those and think "no brainer Darkcloth leggings are better". Now in reality the Crystalized Blood leggings are equal or slightly better for healing. On my stat sheet unbuffed they look like this.
    -Crystalized Blood
    Spell power-923
    crit-649
    focus-232
    Health-5107
    Mana-5317

-Darkcloth Leggings
    Spell Power-922
    Crit-647
    Focus-232
    Health-4900
    Mana-5147
    Maybe I'm just tired, but I am totally lost with your numbers here on the stats for these leggings..

SP = int+wis / 2... both leggings give 39. which ends up being 19.5 (say 20) spell power. dark cloth give 18 SP vs 15..... so you're looking at a 5 SP difference. Darkcloth also gives a bonus to crit, and since there is a 3 int difference in the base stats, your darkcloth should have ...15 more crit.

even with 10% int from dom.. this still wouldn't make up for the discrepancies in stats? like I said, i'm tired as hell so I may be way off and smoking crack. but...shrug if not, then I'm just confused =)
    Last edited by Ixath; 04-06-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmin View Post
    I have heard that the healing potential of Withering Vines only applies on the 1st tick, and therefore another casting of Vile Spores is more beneficial for your rotation.

Do you utilize it for it's DoT feature, knowing that your healing skill/abilities are sufficient to allow some DPS leeway, or is this a recommended cycle for a beginning chloro healer?
    the major problem with withering vines before was that it needed to heal 10 targets to put out roughly the same hps as vile spores, now that it heals for almost triple per tick it only needs to hit 4-5 targets which is very reasonable. Add this into the fact that it can proc your greater essences and trinkets while giving you higher dps it becomes a good filler spell to add in if melee are constantly taking damage. Withering vines also adds in a bit of extra healing for the tank per tick and offers a bit wider of a radius around the boss than you would think it does, it extends its range based on the size of the boss hitbox which means that in certain situations your ranged will be getting heals as well as melee.
    Last edited by Gumdrawp; 04-06-2011 at 07:18 AM.

That's good to know. I haven't monitored the updates, just lurk on the forums. I shall revisit my chloro rotations now. Thanks for helping me improve my skill

Rift Disciple

I only have 2 problems with your Chloro/Lock build..

#1. Why in world did you put 3 points in Neddra's Influence at the expense of 3 more points in Vitality?! That's sacrificing the equivalent of 30-40 endurance for close to zero healing. Are you just trying to increase the heal from the first tick of Withering Vines?

#2. Why would you not put 1 point in Essence Surge as a solo healer? Have you never been feared/silenced/knocked back in the middle of casting NT while your tank gets crit? You can't afford 1 point off of Lawl of Spring?

I also think Raised in Nature is more important as a main healer than LOL of Spring, but w/e. I can't underestimate having the second most HP to the tank and boosting Essence Surge.

Optimal Build (IMO), I just can't be convinced to run anything else:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...qxo.EdIuouczoo

Thanks for the post though, it's motivated me to work in Withering Vines more often whenever the tank is topped off, I pretty much never use it right now. I'm still not convinced that Wild Growth is better than extra casts with Entropic Veil anywhere other than in a raid though, and only then because it affects 10 instead of 5. (I've also solo healed DSM if that counts for ****)
    Last edited by juggler9; 04-06-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    Pestis - Mage - Belmont

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast