+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5man Archon

Shadowlander

Default 5man Archon

Is a 51pts Archon a good build for dps/synergy in a 5man grp ?

If not, what would be the best? I assume some pyro hybrid for trash but for bosses?

aux

Not really. Your buffs aren't strong enough to make up for the loss of a real DPS class in a 5-man group. Maybe for bosses, your single target DPS is okay, but you've got no decent AoE skills. And even if you did you couldn't use them most of the time because you're busy with your buff spells.

It's ok for bosses in 5man experts, but on trash switch to something with aoe and higher dps to burn through them. 5man normals just dps, none are hard enough to ever need buffs.

SC/Lock for trash
    Pyro/Ele for single target
    Necro/Lock for single target
    Archon for single target if you're really convinced your buffs will parse into a larger group DPS than before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Ascendant

I disagree. It depends on your group, but if you're with people who are really struggling, an Archon's buffs may be just enough to get you by. I did an eAP run earlier today. Started off as a Necromancer, but ended up switching to Archon after a few wipes because our cleric couldn't keep the warrior tank alive. During the second boss, though, I ended up just going Chloromancer and took over healing.

Tpz

The easiest way to get Archon buffs into a 5 man is a Chloro/Archon build. You won't be able to get 51 points obviously but 32 does nicely for Flaring Power.
    Raiding as an Archon, A Guide

Quote Originally Posted by grunz View Post
    I didn't get to finish my quest before trion changed it, so I opened a ticket and said I accidentally deleted mine

I got two replacements within a couple days, along with a personal note saying: "Holy Warrior Grunz, use these imbalanced weapons to smite the European scum. They are all bad and incredibly small."

Recruiting!

Rift Disciple

Yeah, I sometimes use a 32 chloro/32 archon build for 5 man.

A 51 Archon build is only in the range of ~100-150 DPS below the top DPS Mage builds and some of those builds (e.g. SC/Ele) have such poor mana regen that you need to stop DPSing (or DPS at a much lower rate) too frequently to regain mana.

DPS... I'm sure the buffs you're providing the tank and the other 2 DPSers in the party more than make up for your slightly less DPS.

AoE: The obvious shortcoming of this spec. Otoh, AoE is mostly for trash...and they don't call them trash for nothing. Imho, no big deal.

Mana: Never, ever, no way, no how will you be below 90%. Your crits are enough to ensure that but if that wasn't enough, Leeching Flames is a good DOT you'll have in your rotation anyway for its DPS... and you can top-up other's (perhaps a SC/Ele in the party?) mana every 3.5 minutes.

Debuffs: You're single-handedly mitigating a lot of damage to the tank and everyone else with all the defensive party buffs and mob debuffs.

Any 5-man that rejects an Archon for DPS in favor of anything else is just dumb... once you have one though, no other Archons need apply.

Plane Touched

Do 32 chlor/32 archon. You'll be able to help heal if the healer dies or is having trouble. Living energy is awesome. With a good rotation you do decent DPS on trash and enough on bosses to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonkirie View Post
    Do 32 chlor/32 archon. You'll be able to help heal if the healer dies or is having trouble. Living energy is awesome. With a good rotation you do decent DPS on trash and enough on bosses to make a difference.
    I have nothing against that build even though I prefer Chlorolock. But that's a healing + support build, not a good build to fill a DPS slot.

I believe the OP here is asking about 51 point archon's viability in one of the 3 DPS slots in a 5-man.

Rift Disciple

51 point archon isn't terrible for dps, as Burning Purpose will add a fair bit of damage to Pillaging Stone.
    For approximates, I was able to get uptol around 500 dps with 51 archon while I could do 600 with pyro.
    (and 650 or so with necro/lock), but if I factored in maintaining the group buffs, I was down to 400 or so.

With chloro/archon, I could pull 350 dps, while still doing a fair bit of effective healing. So, I found it more effective for a 5man. It's like a bard, but with more tank healing and dispels.

For 10 or 20 man raids, a full 51 point archon is a must. But for 5 mans, where you're only benefiting 2 dps, it just didn't seem to increase their dps by as much as you'd have to sacrifice.

aux

I'm rather fond of my 44/22 Archon/Chloro build. 4 buff auras and fast cast chloro heals \o/

+ Reply to Thread