+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage AoE grinding? what souls and when can it be done?

Default Mage AoE grinding? what souls and when can it be done?

Hello all, im starting an alt and decided to go for mage since rogue didnt feel right. MY main is a cleric and i enjoyed AoE grinding whit inq quit alot. So im whondering if a mage can aoe grind whitout to much down time, what souls are needed and at what level can it be done?

Telaran

I finally started AOE grinding around the low-mid 40s with a chloromancer/warlock (think I had either 13 or 16 chloro, rest lock). I still have the same basic spec with 27 Chloro/34 Warlock/5 Necro (for death magic, why not?) and I can typically pull 4-7 mobs depending on the level (pull melee mobs with DoT, pull casters with choke, pull ranged mobs with LOS) into a nice ball for AOE spores and the warlock AOE. On opportunity, I hit nature's wrath or void bolt. You get heals, 80% damage redux, shadow life heal, and a couple + damage abilities that help.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticoN View Post
    Hello all, im starting an alt and decided to go for mage since rogue didnt feel right. MY main is a cleric and i enjoyed AoE grinding whit inq quit alot. So im whondering if a mage can aoe grind whitout to much down time, what souls are needed and at what level can it be done?
    Anything with Devouring Shadows and self healing is win. Chloro/locks right now have the best survivability due to self healing and Oh ****! abilities. Necro/locks are great too for the same reason and with soul purge it is easier to kill elite mobs.

Soulwalker

Elementalist/chloro/storm, isnt too bad.

Soulwalker

I didn't intend for it to do this, but ele/sc is my best aoe combo right now against purely non-elite mobs. The earth elemental is *really hard to kill*, and sc aoe + burning ground from ele kills stuff pretty quickly.

necro/chloro does okay, although you have to work so hard on keeping the pet alive that you don't have a lot of time to actually put out aoe damage. But you can survive 4 normal + 1 elite beating on you+pet indefinitely.

This is at level 37... I didn't have either of these builds until relatively recently.

Quote Originally Posted by terrycloth View Post
    I didn't intend for it to do this, but ele/sc is my best aoe combo right now against purely non-elite mobs. The earth elemental is *really hard to kill*, and sc aoe + burning ground from ele kills stuff pretty quickly.

necro/chloro does okay, although you have to work so hard on keeping the pet alive that you don't have a lot of time to actually put out aoe damage. But you can survive 4 normal + 1 elite beating on you+pet indefinitely.

This is at level 37... I didn't have either of these builds until relatively recently.
    Necro/lock or Chloro/lock win. The most powerful aoe spell is in the Warlock tree. Devouring shadows can hit up to 8 mobs and does 500 dps base at level 50. So leveling it still hits harder than any other AoE on the market.

Thanks for the answers.

Could i get some pros and cons for going Necro/lock or Chloro/lock. Atm im necro/lock but only useing lock spells. only lvl 11 tho

But the first 20 levels goes fast and im fully gemmed up and have crafted armor/weapon/rings to help me out.

Whould also like to know at what level AOE is possible for a mage. From what i read here it seems like late 20's.

Shadowlander

You need 13 points in chloro for 3/3 phytogenesis to make your radiant spores AOE instead of 1 target, and 16 pts in warlock for devouring shadows.

This is the absolute bare minimum. Beast mobs work best as there are no casters in the bunch, and you need to re-cast your devouring shadows immediately after the 2nd damage tick.

Tough call on if you want to go full warlock until you've unlocked 5/5 armor and essence @ 31 pts, or spend the next 6 pts on ele for 5% crit chance and a decent shield.

Pop shield->run around grabbing stuff with dark touch->radiant spores when everything (or 80-90% of everything) is within 10m or so, and then just spam devouring shadows until it's all dead. If you've got 6 pts into ele for the shield, you can use your charge to gain back to full mana with revitalize and there is literally 0 downtime ever.

ETA: You will die a lot trying to AoE with necro/lock, a LOT, and be forced to deal with much smaller pulls. The knight pets AoE taunt is on a cooldown as long as most fights will be, and even 1 or 2 mobs out of the group beating on you can mean you're toast.
    Last edited by Nerf Blasters; 04-05-2011 at 01:55 PM.

thanks for a good reply. im not to fan of die'ing so im going whit chloro/lock. Guess to start building up lock first for "bether" singel target dps til i can start AOE.

I wasn't a big fan of chorlo lock. I went Stormcaller,Elly,Lock.
    I took elly till I got the earth elemental upgrade. Rest in storm till the the lv 30 aoe channel ability.

Now I'm dumping in lock for +25% charge and opportunity.

+ Reply to Thread