+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My take on Archon

Soulwalker

Default My take on Archon

The build I use is 51 Archon, 10 Pyro, 5 Elemental

Zam is not working for me at work so I will just explain Pyro, and Elementalist choice.

10 in Pyro Ė 5 in Ignition increases the cast time of your fire spells by 20% 3 in improved fireball 15% chance for it to crit (great on boss fights and for refilling your mana) and 2 in improved grounding (I found this only helpful in really long boss fights where I was handing out the Mental Flare to the healers instead of myself)
    This in turn gives you Flame Jet (AE cone damage cooldown 6 seconds great for a class that has only one AE spell) Ground Power (all fire damage increased by 10%) and Burning Shield which you can use to move around ground power conveniently. But most importantly Burning mind (40 more intellect for you and the healer) Fire Armour 5% fire damage and your Nuke spell becomes Fireball which, now casts very quickly and has an additional 15% chance to crit and return mana.

5 in Elemental Biting Cold Gives 5% crit to all spells this is a no brainer for a mage class that receives 2.5% mana from criticals.

In this build your primary job is keeping up your Auras (shields) and buffing through your DPS spells.

Surging Flame has priority for the Raid/Party and your damage rotation. The 5% haste to all spells and mele is huge.
    This also increases your own casting speed for your rotation.

Earthen Barrage is next 5% crit for Raid/Party and an increase in damage for your next spell

Volcanic Bomb is a 5% increase in damage for Raid/Party.

Here is where things start getting tricky. If you donít have pillaging stone up yet, it becomes your cast until your Surging Flame is back up then keep stacking pillaging stone until your at 5 stacks. If this is a boss fight you at least want to cast it once so the debuff is on the boss.

If you donít need to cast pillaging stone it and itís a boss fight work in your other debuffs between casting your damage over time spells(searing Vitality and Leeching flames), once you have done that you will alternate Fireball between your main rotation (they still have priority) Surging Flame, Earthen Barrage, Volcanic Bomb along with your Power Drain (*uses charge* debuffs boss by 10% and boosts your damage by 10%)

On trash your Flamejet has priority while mixing in your DPS buff skills.

but you should probably be owning it up with a pure DPS class build on trash anyways.

Let me know if this post is confuing at all. Or if you have a better way.

I have been running a similar spec with great success. I put 3 in combust and 4 in biting cold instead. You wont need the mana efficiency of imp grounding. If you have leeching flames in your rotation your mana will actually go UP during the fight. I buff and debuff then cast my macros. My 2 macros are as follows:

Surging Flare
    Volcanic Bomb
    Earthen Barrage
    Pillaging stone

(till i get my 5 stacks of stone up)

(then get 6 stacks of falling rocks)

Surging Flare
    Volcanic Bomb
    Earthen Barrage
    Leeching Flames
    Fireball

I don't really need leeching flames for mana, but all my parses show it does increase my dps, so why not use it.

On trash I switch to a SC/lock/dom build to aoe and CC if needed.

Telaran

My only real thing to say about this is why cast fireball? Pillaging stone + burning purpose seems quite a bit better than just plane fireball. I understand the ground of power so thats cool. But as far as the int goes wouldnt the +10% from dominator work a tad bit better? after a certain point obviously. Just my 2 cents.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by blbjtb View Post
    My only real thing to say about this is why cast fireball? Pillaging stone + burning purpose seems quite a bit better than just plane fireball. I understand the ground of power so thats cool. But as far as the int goes wouldnt the +10% from dominator work a tad bit better? after a certain point obviously. Just my 2 cents.
    yeah i go into lock for the instant cast but since the nerf of BP and by nerf i mean the proper use. i may go into dom for the 10% increase to int

Quote Originally Posted by blbjtb View Post
    Fireball with 5% dmg from armor, 10% from GoS, 5% from archon talent + 15% extra crit and 20% chance to dot for 30% of it's damage. All of this adds up to more dmg than stone with consuming flames proc in all my testing.

If you are spending 10 pts in Pyro why haven't you spent one more point and got flicker?

Way better than the 1% bonus from ele with that point.
    Anduri - Gelidra
    United Kingdoms

Quote Originally Posted by Naduri View Post
    If you are spending 10 pts in Pyro why haven't you spent one more point and got flicker?

Way better than the 1% bonus from ele with that point.
    flicker is handy, but flowing sand is helpfull as well if you need to run. Even if the boss is immune to the slow you still get the speed increase. My only issue with flicker is it can over shoot where you want to go, like on Ragnoth in IT.
    Last edited by nygn; 04-05-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Shadowlander

Where did anyone say anything about flowing sand? It's a 51pt archon build, it's not an optional point.

I'm just not seeing what is proccing burning purpose on this, and if you're not using burning purpose, why go 51pt archon?

Telaran

Where did anyone say anything about flowing sand? It's a 51pt archon build, it's not an optional point.

I'm just not seeing what is proccing burning purpose on this, and if you're not using burning purpose, why go 51pt archon?

That is the most astute point I've seen made yet about the Archon/Pyro combination.

What IS the purpose for going 51 point Archon with Pyro if you're not really significantly benefitting from Burning Purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Daozen View Post
    What IS the purpose for going 51 point Archon with Pyro if you're not really significantly benefitting from Burning Purpose?
    because the rest of your group/raid is? which is the point of archon to begin with.

Telaran

Seems to me this thread, and many others like it, that focus on the pyro combination are all about maxxing Archon as a DPSer - not maxxing it as a support class.

So I don't buy your answer here at all, nygn

Does the benefit from putting those 7 extra points in Archon to get Burning Purpose outweigh the benefit received from investing them in pyro - to make a 44 Archon / 17 Pyro / 5 Elemental build?

with regard to maximizing dps with Pyro while still gaining all the benefit from 44 point Archon
    Last edited by Daozen; 04-05-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Soulwalker

The more Archon Auras you have (Burning Purpose is one of them) the more Damage you do and the faster you cast. Also I believe I mentioned the purpose of the Archon calss is buffing and your fighting trash you should be running one of the DPS builds.

Burning Purpose is a must for rades 10% haste for the entire raid for all spells and mele are extremly noticable.

The flicker idea (11 in pyro and 4 in elementalist) is a pretty good one as there are lots of fights where being able to break a fear or mez could come in handy during boss fights. Something to consider.

Also The reply to the reson you cast fireball is right on. Before you knock it give it a try, most importantly I wrote this wole thing because people were not opening with surging flames for there rotations... and that is a huge DPS loss for you.

Why anyone spends beyond 5 points in Pyro is beyond me. Yes, it's a 'support class', but I wouldn't maintain some veneer that being such a thing is difficult. Macro all your buff-nukes and PS; debuff enemy and resume mashing one button. Voila, support. There's nothing wrong with trying to wring out higher numbers from an already-settled build; you only have a few options to explore, so you might as well go with what tests best.

Anything beyond 5 points is a waste. Fireball won't do more damage than PS, nor will it add more 'support'. I seriously doubt any fireball is going to beat my 2,000 damage in one cast that I get from a dual PS/BP crit.

Anything below 51pts in Archon is a waste. If you're a Chloro you're just going to piss the real Archons off and you're giving yourself a big headache from maintaining all the auras/buffs in addition to healing. You put 5 points into Pyro for the fire cast time talent, which bring Surging Flare/Volcanic Bomb down to the GCD, maximizing the uptime of your buffs. You then have 10 points to put in other trees; whatever will maximize your efficiency as an individual. (Which, if your group is doing everything the way they should be, is not Flicker)
    Last edited by Furienify; 04-05-2011 at 04:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Rift Master

Raid is 51 point Archon, sure.

Experts? 32/32 Pyro/Archon imo.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....xchcuuczxo.0M

Soulwalker

Do archon buffs stack with Bard buffs?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast