+ Reply to Thread

Thread: expert dungeon dps

Soulwalker

Default expert dungeon dps

Ok so i participated in my first expert dungeon last night after getting 50 2 weeks ago. I and my group all have no expert dungeon gear yet and are fairly inexperienced in the dungeons themselves and i found the dps of my group sucked balls! I played 3 of my 4 builds to try and get dps more like i expected to be doing (400 -1000).

What i found was 1 i was mostly the best dps in the group only challenged occaisionally by our clerics AOE attacks however saying this once i got the rotation going i was getting between 650 and 1000 dps changing on the size of the group.

Against single target bosses is where i truely became dismayed, i clearly held the best dps but my meter was reading avg 150 to 250 dps LAME!!!!!! I tried all my builds.

pyro/lock/arch mage (pvp), huge spike damage but when heat wave wore off damage dropped considerable and when mana ran out so quickly i really struggled.

Lock/chloro/dom, fixed froblem with mana but dps sorely lacked. this particular build was killing on dps against mobs however.

dom/pyro http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...0bk.tfzc0hsdxo this build was what i had the most hope for in real world pvp and pve its a constant 50 cast time reduction on pyro with insane/overwhelming spike potential but in the dungeon lacked over all against bosses with squirrel not active against bosses negating the builds purpose/mechanic.

My last build i didnt try being it was chloro. This left me scratching my head and very frustrated and poring over skill trees looking for the answer. I have built a new role (pyro34 arcon21 elem11) in the hopes it has the damage and the mana to sustain more constant damage but dummy dps on shows anout 450 at best and is yet to be used in dungeon.

Im really hopeing someone has some kind of fool proof dungeon dps build for me cos im so lost atm.

#1 problem: You're using pyro.

Drop that and go stormcaller/warlock or warlock/necro.

Problem solved.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ixath View Post
    #1 problem: You're using pyro.

Drop that and go stormcaller/warlock or warlock/necro.

Problem solved.
    could you possibly link these as builds on zam please? id like to see what they would look like

just went back to the storm tree and its all AOE how foes that fix my single target dps? :S
    Last edited by razielk; 04-05-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Champion

The first thing you need to understand is that these bosses usually require a lot of mobility, which ruins a mages DPS, that is understandable.

Secondly on a boss dummy parse, all mage builds hover around 650-750 DPS, when geared in all T2/Greenscale and purple essence.

Third, pyro is notorious for low single target DPS, due to low cast times and unreliable procs for burst damage. When you toss mobility into the mix the slow cast time of fireball really hurts, as you often will have to cancel mid cast to run out of a ground effect or whatever.

Look for a bread&butter attack with a 1.5 second cast time, keep DOT's rolling (casting those when you have to move is a great idea)..this is where SC and necrolock tend to parse on the high end of the 650-750 single target DPS range, that little extra cast time makes a diffrence, as does the DOT/Pet from necro and Ele continue doing some form of DPS while your on the move.

The only time a pyro based build excels in DPS is when he pops firestorm on adds, in which case he can top 1k DPS, however at this time i think weve all moved past the AOE DPS is good phase of our gaming careers.

Quote Originally Posted by razielk View Post
    could you possibly link these as builds on zam please? id like to see what they would look like
    DPS is my weak point. I prefer chloro, but...there are other people here who can do a much better job. If I had to make the builds it'd be something along the lines of the following.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...0VVx.xtczVtohs

there are a few points left to play with. again.. dunno if this is the best lock/necro build but it something along the lines of what i'd play. use your skeletal zealot pet (the rogue one).

pyro is great for pvp because of burst but not very good compared to some other other specs for dungeons..
    with the sc/lock build, you're on yer own there. I don't know enough about the builds people are running with to make any comments..other than the fact that I've seen people with them and they pull off more dps than the necro/lock.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by razielk View Post

just went back to the storm tree and its all AOE how foes that fix my single target dps? :S
    Lightning Field is both AoE and single-target. It owns as an AoE, but is still very nice in single-target mode thanks to being a spammable insta-cast. Static Discharge adds damage to your entire party's attacks, pets included, roughly 50% of the time.

Raging Storm is a solid single target spell, that adds the 3xElectrify you want on the mob. If it's cooldown were 15s instead of 20s, Stormcaller would probably threaten to top single-target damage charts as well as AoE.

Soulwalker

Thanks so much guys the necro lock build i will feel most comfortable with mostly because they are souls im familiar with. here is a build i just made on zam, any thoughts? its designed with dps in mind the heals... well if i need them then its probably already too late. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Vtkzk.eeRhoVMx
    Last edited by razielk; 04-05-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Champion

pyro does good damage as long as you can stand still, damage drops off when you have to move out of your ground of power. a pvp burst style build based on pyro stinks for pve.

personally i use pyro/archon/ele if theres no other archons, i just feel that me being part archon in either my healing or dps spec brings the most to the group as a whole.

-buffs the group, completely self sustaining in regards to power, no burden on the group for heals or oop
    -it does decent aoe damage, not as good as SC/ele but still respectable
    -it does great st damage in a tank n spank fight, at least half of t1 bosses require minimal movement.
    -damage while moving drops close to what i see with sc/ele while moving
    -potential unlucky streaks where you dont see cinderburst procs or you have to move right when you hit heatwave.
    -incompatible with other archons
    -if you move, you either have to be able to move back to your GOP or recast it wich wastes GCD's

if theres another archon in the group then i would use Stormcaller

-best aoe dps
    -decent st damage, more consistant, less reliant on cinderburst procs/crits, more consistant while moving.
    -need to spend gcd's on power management, channel elements for SC/ele, sac lifepower for warlock (i greatly prefer elemental)

regardless of all this, i spend more time in chloro/archon than anything. almost always need more healing rather than more dps. honestly mage dps isnt that great anyway when you just hit 50, it really isnt. your almost always better off as a chloro "offhealing" untill you get better gear. alot of the new 50's i see do about as much damage on a boss in their "dps" spec as they would in a good chloro spec, 200-300 is typical.

no comment on necrolock, i just dont use it but its perfectly viable dps spec.
    Last edited by Shieldy; 04-05-2011 at 08:46 AM.

+ Reply to Thread