+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elelock vs. Necrolock - viable?

Shadowlander

Default Elelock vs. Necrolock - viable?

So I've been wanting to roll a mage and was pondering over specs the last few days, reading threads etc. I know Necrolock is kind of the fotm mage leveling/pve build, but I was wondering if Elelock would be just as viable if say split the same way 36/32 or something close? With dom as the third soul for the 0 point CC. Or if perhaps ele/chloro would be more advisable with such a pet-dependent ele spec (would this make leveling painfully slow)? Thanks!

My I initial thoughts would be that you would have

A) much less synergy
    B) have to sacrifice the 44 point elementalist armour, which is a major plus for the soul.

Yeah if you are going that deep I'd definitely get elemental armor, and if you are going THAT deep, you might as well get the fire elementals, they do insane burst dmg. All 5 of them hit for 3-400dmg each at the same time every second or two, not counting crits.

aux

If you go ele at all I highly recommend going full 51 point ele. The last few skills in the soul are just amazing.
    Swarming Flames when used properly will explode an elite mob as if it were a weak non-elite.

One of my roles has an elementalist build. 51 Ele/ 15 Warlock / 0 Archon is the plan, almost there. Pretty powerful so far. Not sure how it would do as a leveling build since I only started this at level 46. I can say that from 46-48 has been wonderful so far. I like archon as the third soul because of the pillaging stone & searing vitality buffs. I have all my mage builds with it now.

Necro/Lock may be better I haven't used it since the early 30s. I used it a lot before that and it was amazing but got boring for me so I stopped.
    Chronin - 50 mage
    Kharos - 50 Cleric
    Phenlos - 50 Rogue

Shadowlander

Hm thanks for the suggestions! I see the benefits to necrolock but I don't see my specific character as... that sort of caster I guess. I will start dumping my points into ele then, maybe change it up when I get higher or start T1/2s. Is warlock better to throw 15 into versus say... SC? I thought I saw both posted at some point, but I could be mixing builds up.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ayimera View Post
    Hm thanks for the suggestions! I see the benefits to necrolock but I don't see my specific character as... that sort of caster I guess. I will start dumping my points into ele then, maybe change it up when I get higher or start T1/2s. Is warlock better to throw 15 into versus say... SC? I thought I saw both posted at some point, but I could be mixing builds up.
    The SC build you are referring to is the Elecaller 34ele/32SC or 32/32/ with 2 free points.

Ele/lock/dom or arch have great synergy 51 points gives you great burst and a ton of chargeyou will be popping elemental forces all the time. While Elemental Forces doesn't look strong it is much stronger than it appears. It works on dots, pet damage, and casted spells. It also is ridiculously fast on the charge burn so its over in about 8 seconds and you start stacking again.

Opportunity is amazing when used with ele spells since ele is perhaps the weakest nuke soul more free casts = more damage.
    Deathdoor of Tearfall - 5/51/10 Pyro/Archon/Dom, 33/33/0 Necro/Lock/Archon, 30/26/10 Lock/Chloro/Dom, 8/51/8 Chloro/Elementalist/Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Backus View Post
    The SC build you are referring to is the Elecaller 34ele/32SC or 32/32/ with 2 free points.

Ele/lock/dom or arch have great synergy 51 points gives you great burst and a ton of chargeyou will be popping elemental forces all the time. While Elemental Forces doesn't look strong it is much stronger than it appears. It works on dots, pet damage, and casted spells. It also is ridiculously fast on the charge burn so its over in about 8 seconds and you start stacking again.

Opportunity is amazing when used with ele spells since ele is perhaps the weakest nuke soul more free casts = more damage.
    Opportunity procs are most beneficial to Lightning Strike from Elementalists. However, if you're going to do that, then you should use the 32 SC / 30 Lock / 4 Elementalist build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...x.VMhxotcsbo.m

Admittedly, this is an end-game DPS build, whereas I believe the OP was looking for a leveling build.

The short answer to the original question is - No. Elmentalists are nowhere near as strong as Necromancers for leveling, regardless of the subspec. The necro pets are just as beneficial as the Elementalist pets, but Necro has Soul Purge, which is the single most powerful leveling tool that a mage has, from any tree available. Elementalist offers nothing even remotely close to this as far as power is concerned for soloing. The only combination that would compare (with a pet) would be Chloro/Ele, which significantly reduces your character's ability to actually kill the mobs. If you're interested in a spec such at this, I offer the following:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...occ0oo.Vtcz0xo

This build can solo group quests in Stillmore even with low end gear levels with ease. It cannot handle the 5+ person quests, but the 2-3 person quests, it can handle. It would likely be sufficient for leveling, though I can't say for sure that it would outperform NecroLock. It certainly would be a slower grind.

I hope this response helps

I play 51 Elementalist 10 Warlock X Archmage and it is fantastic.

If you consider using all Elementalist cooldowns all the time, you can come out with rather decent DPS parses. (FIRE SUMMON) Plus, you get crazy mitigation from Elementalist's -10% damage passive and Elementalist Armor.

Plus, the Earth Elemental can tank again, making solo PVE is very easy.

I'm ranking on damage charts in level 50 PVP (usually under broken Pyromancers - don't deny it!) with no more than 1 death each match. Did I also mention Elementalists have their own 'Break Free'-like move? They do. I have two CC breakers. and a knockback slow. and a slow pet.

The pure Elementalist is gimmicky, but it is worth the investment in various ways. Even world PVP can be ridiculously easy with the Fire Summon.
    (TIP: Fast Summon works on Fire Summon)

TRY IT.
    Last edited by Ginnybinny; 04-05-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Rift Disciple

Shhh, I was hiding the pvp fun side of the 51 ele aoe knockback 1 minute CC breaker, shield, slows, silence, mitigation, and a few ways to recover health and mana without drinking or dying. I was a devout SC user until I ran a few warfronts with water and air elemental. You will get owned by a good melee though

I have 13 in lock for the fear so I can handle two guys, but a good melee will roflstomp me.
    Deathdoor of Tearfall - 5/51/10 Pyro/Archon/Dom, 33/33/0 Necro/Lock/Archon, 30/26/10 Lock/Chloro/Dom, 8/51/8 Chloro/Elementalist/Warlock

You're right.

To anybody reading, disregard my last post.

+ Reply to Thread