+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Unofficial End Game PvE Mage Guide V 2.0

Default Unofficial End Game PvE Mage Guide V 2.0

Last edited by bluedot; 04-30-2011 at 07:01 PM.

I got to ask you why you have this macro:

Macro for Lightning Strike and Thunderbolt, this is your spam nuke:
    #show Lightning Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lightning Strike
    cast Thunderbolt

The only reason to cast Thunderbolt would be one, to refesh the 3 electrify stacks. Apart from that using LF not only is better damage than Thunderbolt but also keeps you very mobile.

GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11, 5/8 ID (HM, no-reflect Rusila). Recruitment is open. We are especially interested in a highly skilled mage!
    http://shoreline-guild.com

If you are healing or using a spec the uses single hit nukes:
    Focus* > Sp > Int > Crit & Wisdom
    *Focus is only good until you reach the cap for the content you are doing:

Tier 1 and Expert Rifts: 100 Focus
    Tier 2 and Raid Rifts: 150 Focus
    Raids (Greenscale's Blight): 220 Focus (44%)
    You don't need to hit the soft caps to be fine in dungeons. You'll basically go unresisted with the minimum for each tier.

T1: 50
    T2: 100
    GSB: 200
    Hard cap is 230.

Telaran

On the Warlock Specc I would use Archon as 0 Point Sub soul...Provides "Free" 40 Wis 40 Int and 50 End

And since the Shadow Rev is such a horrible Pet i would either Specc 21 Points into Necro or go for 31 and use the Lich Form.

Quote Originally Posted by Comunique View Post
    You don't need to hit the soft caps to be fine in dungeons. You'll basically go unresisted with the minimum for each tier.

T1: 50
    T2: 100
    GSB: 200
    Hard cap is 230.
    GSB is 220, or 44%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramea View Post
    I got to ask you why you have this macro:

Macro for Lightning Strike and Thunderbolt, this is your spam nuke:
    #show Lightning Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lightning Strike
    cast Thunderbolt

The only reason to cast Thunderbolt would be one, to refesh the 3 electrify stacks. Apart from that using LF not only is better damage than Thunderbolt but also keeps you very mobile.
    This no edit rule is ******ed.. I forgot to update this after 1.1, thank you for reminding me, Ramea.

It should actually be:

#show Lightning Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lightning Strike
    cast Cloudburst or Lightning Field*

And the rotation is:
    Raging Storm > Ice Shear > Lightning Strike > Spam Cloud Burst.
    Or Replace Cloudburst with Lightning Field on short fights.

*Cloudburst is more base damage but the higher chance to crit with LF makes LF higher DPS. But LF costs significantly more mana which causes Cloudburst to be better DPS in longer fights.. Like GSB Encounters.

Soulwalker

Bluedot, with the necrolock, don't you think it's worth it to use Looming Demise? The skill itself isn't all that, but you get an extra 50% dmg on both Jagged Wound and Soul Rend with the Skeletal Zealot.

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with us!

Soulwalker

Great info thank you to the OP.

Does anyone know how to get HPS to show on Advanced Combat Tracker's Overlay?

The Junkies parser has it but i much prefer the ACT for the breakdowns to tweak with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ping_Pong View Post
    Great info thank you to the OP.

Does anyone know how to get HPS to show on Advanced Combat Tracker's Overlay?

The Junkies parser has it but i much prefer the ACT for the breakdowns to tweak with.
    Add it in the Table Setup tab.

Soulwalker

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by billiek View Post
    Bluedot, with the necrolock, don't you think it's worth it to use Looming Demise? The skill itself isn't all that, but you get an extra 50% dmg on both Jagged Wound and Soul Rend with the Skeletal Zealot.

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with us!
    Anytime I have parsed it I get slightly less DPS when I put up Looming Demise. Basically casting Looming Demise will cost you 1 Void Bolt, and that 1 Void Bolt is worth more then the looming demise as far as DPS.
    That being said the debuff it puts on the mob is great for raid encounters that you need to reduce outgoing damage, like Prince Hylas with his Soul Fracture, or Gronik in Expert Charmer's Caldera.

So.. maybe?

Plane Touched

Not taking destructive growth is really a poor choice in your chloro spec. 10% raid damage is amazing if utilized properly, assuming you have ~12k raid dps you've just increased it by 1.2k and made the fight that much faster. Same as not taking survivbility talents over circle of life. Having 6k+ hp makes a big difference on fights like hylas and greenscale which is the only place you should run warlock as your offspec as a chloro. In 5 mans you should run archon as your offspec for group utility and cooldowns. Also as of my last personal testing neddra's influence doesnt affect the vile spores/ruin dots which makes it a very poor talent choice. In the warlock spec its also probably more beneficial to drop those 3 points in the ele tree and run a 0 point archon offspec for searing vitality and pillaging stone buffs.

Volcanic bomb overwrites strike like iron for warriors as of our last raid this sunday, unsure if/when this will be fixed, but i wouldnt recommend casting it until then.

As for cloudburst hitting harder than lightning field, I'm not sure how youre testing that out but my LF hits for ~10% more than cloudburst even without factoring in the higher crit chance. Cloudburst is NEVER worth casting in my eyes.

You should probably pick up draining bolt in your necrolock build as well, It has a higher DPCT than void bolt and is a minimal dps increase while adding some additional mobility and self healing. Also you should always keep looming demise up if you have the opportunity for it not to be overwritten, it gives your pet approximately 50 more dps. Looming demise has a 1 minute duration and adds approximately 2k damage overall to my pet so its worth casting it over void bolt if you pet will not die.

Also as for the focus cap, at 200 focus I would see an occasional resist, however in three weeks of raiding at 203-204 focus the only time I ever saw a resist in my logs was during the first few seconds of the barrels spawning on infiltrator, after speaking with guildies after noticing this its apparently a common problem. But I would say its safe to run any amount of focus 201+ and see no resists in greenscale/ros.

Even with tempest i was seeing that SP=int>2crit>wis in my stats. Perhaps I missed something as well here.

Also a useful addition to your macro sections should be added that you can place an instant behind a spell with no cooldown and it will cast it while you're moving, So for example you're a chloromancer and youre doing your nt>vs>vs>nt rotation and you need to move, if your macro looks like this:

supressmacrofailures
    cast nature's touch
    cast vile spores
    cast ruin

You'll cast ruin when you move but not when you stand still. I've found that although unnecessary its a nice thing to know incase you do have trouble remembering you have a spell you can spam on the move.
    Last edited by Gumdrawp; 04-05-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    Single target damage:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Vzk0c.eeRhoVVx
    Use the Skeletal Zealot pet.
    Life Leech > Necrosis > Dark Touch > Defile > Neddra's Grasp* > Neddra's Torture > Spam Void bolt > Repeat starting with Grave Rot
    Grave Rot no longer appears in your rotation, but is still mentioned in the repeat point. Have you intentionally dropped Grave Rot, so Necrosis becomes the repeat point?

Really nice guide btw

Quote Originally Posted by Gumdrawp View Post
    Some good points, thank you.

Because Wild Growth is situational I tend to avoid spending points there. But when I think about it I would agree it is good for just about any encounter in GSB.
    I honestly never tested if Neddra's Influence affected Ruin and Vile Spores.. shame on me for believing the tooltip.

I'll double check the Cloudburst vs Lightning Field and Looming Demise tomorrow and get back to you. However, even if LF is more damage the extra mana cost makes it less viable for raid encounters.
    We have had people get resists at 210 Focus and no resist at 220 Focus. Our warriors also confirmed the same thing with hit. Would be really nice if we had a Training Dummy that was raid level.. until then we'll just have to keep testing.

I prefer to keep Ruin separate and only use it as a "Oh Sh**" button.. just a personal preference though and that is a great macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlita View Post
    Grave Rot no longer appears in your rotation, but is still mentioned in the repeat point. Have you intentionally dropped Grave Rot, so Necrosis becomes the repeat point?

Really nice guide btw
    Sorry, typo.. I have stopped using Grave Rot completely.. takes to much time to line up and cast, most fights have to much movement etc.
    Thanks for spotting this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast