+ Reply to Thread

Thread: +damage abilities and GCD cooldowns

Default +damage abilities and GCD cooldowns

I was fiddling with builds and tried to figure out why Elemental Forces sucks so much. Explanation? It is capped at one activation per GCD. So any damage can trigger it...just only once every 1.5 seconds...

Mage doesnt have many skills like this, most are "charge for +X%" skills. But to my knowledge only 4 exist:

Warlock Armor? Unlimited
    Charged Shield? 1 per GCD
    Elemental Forces? 1 per GCD
    Static Discharge? 1 per GCD

In the case of Elemental Forces and Static Discharge they don't even work on aoe. Only the "primary" target gets hit, another lackluster trait. The strangest was Charged Shield + Warlock armor. Warlock Armor procs every hit, all the time, no matter what. Was it something that hurt you asides fall? You proc it.
    Whilst Charged Shield is capped to only activate once every 1.5s. Sure Charged Shield can be placed on other people but if the damage is game-breaking then REDUCE ITS DAMAGE not gimp its point entirely. Even if you were to put it on, lets say the Tank, its based off spell power...and warrior/rogue tanks will have close to 0.

Meh...what do you think?
    Last edited by wallweasels; 04-04-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by wallweasels View Post
    I was fiddling with builds and tried to figure out why Elemental Forces sucks so much. Explanation? It is capped at one activation per GCD. So any damage can trigger it...just only once every 1.5 seconds...

Mage doesnt have many skills like this, most are "charge for +X%" skills. But to my knowledge only 4 exist:

Warlock Armor? Unlimited
    Charged Shield? 1 per GCD
    Elemental Forces? 1 per GCD
    Static Discharge? 1 per GCD

In the case of Elemental Forces and Static Discharge they don't even work on aoe. Only the "primary" target gets hit, another lackluster trait. The strangest was Charged Shield + Warlock armor. Warlock Armor procs every hit, all the time, no matter what. Was it something that hurt you asides fall? You proc it.
    Whilst Charged Shield is capped to only activate once every 1.5s. Sure Charged Shield can be placed on other people but if the damage is game-breaking then REDUCE ITS DAMAGE not gimp its point entirely. Even if you were to put it on, lets say the Tank, its based off spell power...and warrior/rogue tanks will have close to 0.

Meh...what do you think?

Elemental Forces is a bit better than you give it credit for though it is a bit buggy. Elemental Forces works very well if used properly. The biggest problem is that people cast elemental forces before they have anything up and it doesn't work well then. I will try to simplify it so it makes it easy.

If you apply a dot after proccing Elemental Forces and that dot has initial damage than it only procs on the initial hit and not the dot. However if you stack your dots and then pop Elemental forces it will pop on every tick. This means if you stack carapace, ignite, darktouch and then pop Elemental forces it will hit on every single tick until your charge is gone.

It also scales with spellpower. At 46, my Elemental Forces tick for 65 a pop and can crit for 90 to 120. It is an extremely powerful burst tool. I ust it regularly in pvp dot a target up pop elemental forces hit him with a few crystalline missles and down goes even the strongest healer. The best part of it is that Elemental Forces is considered an indepent spell every tick and can activate opportunity. I run 46/13/2 ele/lock/dom and the amount of damage I can put out with forces is stunning. I am not sure if it is improved by the warlock dot buff but I have three points in since I make sure to fully stack dots before proccing Elemental Forces.
    Deathdoor of Tearfall - 5/51/10 Pyro/Archon/Dom, 33/33/0 Necro/Lock/Archon, 30/26/10 Lock/Chloro/Dom, 8/51/8 Chloro/Elementalist/Warlock

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Backus View Post
    Elemental Forces is a bit better than you give it credit for though it is a bit buggy. Elemental Forces works very well if used properly. The biggest problem is that people cast elemental forces before they have anything up and it doesn't work well then. I will try to simplify it so it makes it easy.

If you apply a dot after proccing Elemental Forces and that dot has initial damage than it only procs on the initial hit and not the dot. However if you stack your dots and then pop Elemental forces it will pop on every tick. This means if you stack carapace, ignite, darktouch and then pop Elemental forces it will hit on every single tick until your charge is gone.

It also scales with spellpower. At 46, my Elemental Forces tick for 65 a pop and can crit for 90 to 120. It is an extremely powerful burst tool. I ust it regularly in pvp dot a target up pop elemental forces hit him with a few crystalline missles and down goes even the strongest healer. The best part of it is that Elemental Forces is considered an indepent spell every tick and can activate opportunity. I run 46/13/2 ele/lock/dom and the amount of damage I can put out with forces is stunning. I am not sure if it is improved by the warlock dot buff but I have three points in since I make sure to fully stack dots before proccing Elemental Forces.
    Hmm, interesting. I've not observed that behaviour yet..I was sure it only procced on the hit, or on the first dot tick. I tried to use Ignite as much as possible, because it caused EF to proc twice (on initial damage hit and on first DoT hit).

Does it continue working on every DoT tick if you refresh the DoTs? If not, isn't that be a bug really? IMO it should work as you describe for all DoTs (and AOE hits) regardless of if you cast the DoTs before or after starting elemental forces.

The least we can say is that the description is...rather incomplete on the ability!
    Last edited by Sarim; 04-05-2011 at 12:47 AM.

Plane Touched

Didn't work for me. Tbh, I would've been astonished if it did...quite sure other elementalists would've found out this already if it worked. Or maybe I did something wrong and it does work...somehow.

Anyway, I would love if elemental forces proced on every DoT tick and spell hit (also AE!). Considering how quickly EF drains charge, I don't think you can get it to proc more than 10-12 times with a full charge bar (more likely less often). Thats about 700-900 damage. If it crits a few times, maybe 1000 damage. How does that compare to other charge dump spells?

Iirc, for example chloro's stream of reclamation does about 225-250 per tick for me, over 6s, thats 1350-1500 damage. What are numbers for others?

I've found EF to be amazing as a fresh 50 running SC/Ele, I do 6-700 dps when I can just stand and shoot on boss fights,

some quick math tells me if charge dumps like SF and EF both reduce charge at the same pace we'll call that 10 seconds.

10s * 650 dps = 6500 damage being affected
    6500 *.2 (SF) = 1300 extra damage if I use SF

for my EF > SF I need to make it proc enough times to do more than 1300 dmg in 10 seconds.

+ Reply to Thread