+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Necromancer Guide!

Default Necromancer Guide!

I wrote a Necromancer guide for RiftJunkies.

I'd like for all of you to read it and let me know if you liked it or not. This is my 2nd contribution to the RiftJunkies website.

Here's a direct link to the guide:

Necromancer Guide

Also, Rift Junkies has different guides for other Callings so make sure to visit their website if you need any news and tips/tricks on Rift!

www.riftjunkies.com

Soulwalker

An excellent guide. I look forward to seeing more.

Plane Touched

OK, so I have a question, I asked it elsewhere but didn't get any response. So maybe here is better. You avoid the +25% charge gen and you put a point into Empty the Crypts. Why? Can we really go without the charge regen? Soul Purge is one of our best spells and pretty much I use it constantly whenever I have charge. At least prior to 1.1 Soul Purge was the bread and butter of the Necro. Is that different now? I played around with Empty the Crypts, it's an interesting little ability but IMO it seems completely worthless. It eats charge like Mortality, but you get at best a few seconds of DPS out of your skellies until they disappear, particularly if you're standing at range (as you would in pretty much most group/raid environments). I'd like some information on it. If we can dump the charge regen, it allows for a lot of points to be put into abilities like Neddra's grasp/torture and draining bolt; so it seems advantageous from that standpoint. But if Soul Purge is one of our best spells, then focus should really be on generating charge so we can use it as often as possible. In that case, it's best to take the 25% charge generation as that means more soul purge.

And is Empty the Crypts actually ever useful? Particularly speaking in the higher end instances/raids.

Empty the Crypts was changed in patch 1.1

The Shambling Corpses that you spawn will last for 20 seconds and while the ability says it Consumes Charge, it doesn't say that you can't gain charge back while Empty the Crypts is up.

You have to make sure you don't use Mortality or Soul Purge while Empty the Crypts is in use otherwise the Shambling Corpses will disappear.

As for Soul Purge, it is still useful, but i personally use Void Bolt since it does slightly more DPS and you make Life Leech refresh making Void bolt have two dps components, one from the spell itself and one from the first tick of Life Leech

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Hayzee View Post
    Empty the Crypts was changed in patch 1.1

The Shambling Corpses that you spawn will last for 20 seconds and while the ability says it Consumes Charge, it doesn't say that you can't gain charge back while Empty the Crypts is up.

You have to make sure you don't use Mortality or Soul Purge while Empty the Crypts is in use otherwise the Shambling Corpses will disappear.

As for Soul Purge, it is still useful, but i personally use Void Bolt since it does slightly more DPS and you make Life Leech refresh making Void bolt have two dps components, one from the spell itself and one from the first tick of Life Leech
    Hmm, that's interesting. Yeah, it made EtC a bit better, but I don't know if I'd still be all for that just yet. VB does good damage, but over the time you channel Soul Purge, can it do more damage than that? Soul Purge has been the bread and butter of the necro spec. The Void Bolt build was only because VB apparently does more damage than Plague Bolt and you can spec it to a shorter time in order to generate charge quicker. At least, that's how it used to be. If that changed, I think it would be pretty big change in our dynamics and I'd like to know a bit more about it.

What about dropping the +25% charge generation then in favor of the other abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Hmm, that's interesting. Yeah, it made EtC a bit better, but I don't know if I'd still be all for that just yet. VB does good damage, but over the time you channel Soul Purge, can it do more damage than that? Soul Purge has been the bread and butter of the necro spec. The Void Bolt build was only because VB apparently does more damage than Plague Bolt and you can spec it to a shorter time in order to generate charge quicker. At least, that's how it used to be. If that changed, I think it would be pretty big change in our dynamics and I'd like to know a bit more about it.

What about dropping the +25% charge generation then in favor of the other abilities?
    I was under the impression Soul Purge was still better for us because of it ticking every second whereas VB is a 1.5 second cast which means it can pump out a bit more damage for the same amount of time.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ruxen View Post
    I was under the impression Soul Purge was still better for us because of it ticking every second whereas VB is a 1.5 second cast which means it can pump out a bit more damage for the same amount of time.
    Yeah, I was under that impression. That being said, I long came up in the PB era of stacking DC; but I think I'll be going from maybe 35 Necro/31 Lock to 31 Necro/35 Lock or something similar. I'm just seeing what's viable still because I was thinking of dropping Neddra's torture and Draining Bolt to keep up points in the charge generation talent. As far as I still understood it, Soul Purge is still what we use whenever we can, so even things like Empty the Crypts just take charge away from us when we can Soul Purge instead (though I do like being in a group of mobs and using Mortality).

Essentially if we still need to focus on Soul Purge, I think the point in Empty the Crypts can be done away with and I'd be interested to hear arguments on whether or not we should spec more charge generation or go with other abilities.

the guy lost all credibility when he says to keep deathly calling up at all times but never says to cast plague bolt or even put points into the plague bolt skill in his tree

Plane Touched

You can keep DC up with Grave Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You can keep DC up with Grave Rot.
    i know bro but people move

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nevanus View Post
    i know bro but people move
    Well....the tank should be keeping mobs fairly well contained so there shouldn't be an issue with that. This all looked well more PvE than PvP oriented.

the guy lost all credibility when he says to keep deathly calling up at all times but never says to cast plague bolt or even put points into the plague bolt skill in his tree
    If you're casting Plague Bolt, you're doing something very wrong.

Grave Rot will always be your spell to keep Deathly Calling up at all times. If you try and use Plague Bolt at any moment, you're DPS will go down. Grave Rot does more damage overall than Plague Bolt.

Soulwalker

Pretty sure everyone is thinking you just lost all credibility. Common sense should tell you to never use Plague Bolt, shouldn't even be on your hotbar.

Next time you want to try to act like you know what you're talking about, please think before you speak. You clearing don't know the class and should be doing more reading, rather that posting.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Hayzee View Post
    If you're casting Plague Bolt, you're doing something very wrong.

Grave Rot will always be your spell to keep Deathly Calling up at all times. If you try and use Plague Bolt at any moment, you're DPS will go down. Grave Rot does more damage overall than Plague Bolt.
    not to mention its added bonus of stacking 5 deathly callings for 1 gcd. Also draining bolt has a higher dpct than void bolt so you should probably grab that and work it into your rotation. it should add roughly 10dps over the course of a fight.
    Last edited by Gumdrawp; 04-04-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumdrawp View Post
    not to mention its added bonus of stacking 5 deathly callings for 1 gcd. Also draining bolt has a higher dpct than void bolt so you should probably grab that and work it into your rotation. it should add roughly 10dps over the course of a fight.
    True, Draining Bolt is really good. If you decide to use it, it's well worth it.

Personally for my spec, it was either lose Neddra's Grasp or lose 2% Spellpower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast