+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is SC even Possible in PvP?

Shadowlander

Default Is SC even Possible in PvP?

So are there any Stormcallers out there having any success in PvP? The "combo" feel of the class really appeals to me far more than any other mage spec but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything viable.

I know there must be Stormcallers out there that do well and enjoy PvP. What's your spec? Any quick strategies?

Stormcallers is the AoE soul of the mages

AoE dmg is easily outhealed by bards/Chloros etc

so

if you do solo Warfronts and dont have other teamates who focus AoE dmg at the same spot that you do most likely you wont manage kill anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilvereen View Post

so

if you do solo Warfronts and dont have other teamates who focus AoE dmg at the same spot that you do most likely you wont manage kill anything.
    It's not easily outhealed when I do it. I put out enough aoe dps that it puts a serious strain on enemey clerics, and some people still die from it. If they don't have clerics, I can clear the bridge in under 6 seconds.

As for it's effectiveness/playstyle, be prepared to kite, los, and hide alot. Once the enemy get a taste of the bolts, they're going to hate you and start chain CCing you every chance they get.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

SC is no pyro, but it's not bad either. The worst part about pvping as a SC is that what little CC we do have to save our hide, mostly in the form of knockbacks, very very rarely works. Cloudburst needs to apply hypothermia and it'd be a nicer pvp soul, imo. SC is most fun when the other team has 0-1 healers and they're dumb enough to stand under thunderclouds and ****, then you can put out some pain--but then that's true for most souls. Using dom secondary gives SC more options in a 1v1 or 1v2 situation, but you'll sacrifice damage and/or survivability from lock/am trees.

I see the stormcaller as an AoE and CC dps class. The damage output is not as much as the pyromancer, but the CC is unsurpassed by any other mage soul (except perhaps the Dominator).
    ~Mjollnir - Dwarf Mage
    ~ NÓridhrien - High Elf Ranger (in your warfronts, hiding from warriors)

Knowledge and sorrow oft walk hand-in-hand.

Ascendant

I so wanna post something useful in this thread but I must restrain myself.

Rift Master

Going up against a team with a good stormcaller on Port Scion makes it that much harder.

Stormcaller damage is not "easily" outhealed by clerics, they heal "just" enough to avoid most of your aoe damage output, and even then they neglect their mana bars for aoe heals and for Bards they heal less than clerics so.....

I don't even aoe most of the time as SC when i don't need to. I basically use, Raging storm, Ice Shards, Static Flux to drain my charge for that 20% boost, and spam Cloud bursts for 800+ dmg (1k+ on crits) whenever I focus clerics....They DROP, they can't out heal the damage output of single target SC believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    SC is no pyro, but it's not bad either. The worst part about pvping as a SC is that what little CC we do have to save our hide, mostly in the form of knockbacks, very very rarely works. Cloudburst needs to apply hypothermia and it'd be a nicer pvp soul, imo. SC is most fun when the other team has 0-1 healers and they're dumb enough to stand under thunderclouds and ****, then you can put out some pain--but then that's true for most souls. Using dom secondary gives SC more options in a 1v1 or 1v2 situation, but you'll sacrifice damage and/or survivability from lock/am trees.
    If cloudburst applied hypothermia, I'd be a happy man. I have to agree.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Telaran

Those who are saying stormcallers are meh just arent playing them right. Sc's dont need stormcloud to do damage. Forked lightning + lightning field is rediculous. One SC can whipe out a whole team gathered around a node from hiding. If you play sc and dont get these results talk to Danos from stonecrest or Js from snarebrush. Those two are beasts and it gets old fast lol.

I would personally rather go up against a team of pyros then a team of good stormcallers at least pyros have to stand still to do their jobs effectively.
    Last edited by Araiz; 04-04-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    Karaza 50 Mage Snarebrush

Quote Originally Posted by Asyrin View Post
    So are there any Stormcallers out there having any success in PvP? The "combo" feel of the class really appeals to me far more than any other mage spec but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything viable.

I know there must be Stormcallers out there that do well and enjoy PvP. What's your spec? Any quick strategies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilvereen View Post

so

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YB4TfD2Tvo - 39 SC - Black Garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKtbQ2rlgIQ - 39 SC v 50 warr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn8X_ShrwTQ - 39 SC v 50 rogue

Rift Disciple

Default SC Mages in PVP

Ive been fooling with a SC build for the past 2 nights and i just cant figure out a rotation for it.

Im looking for a multi-mob rotation and a single target rotation.

I am currently SC / Arch / Dom. I seem to get in the top 4-5 in dmg, but thats just mashing whatever i can find at the time. Does anyone have a descent rotation or advice?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by tconeal View Post
    I basically use, Raging storm, Ice Shards, Static Flux to drain my charge for that 20% boost, and spam Cloud bursts for 800+ dmg (1k+ on crits) whenever I focus clerics....They DROP, they can't out heal the damage output of single target SC believe it or not.
    The smart ones will start dispelling themselves first now, which sucks. Smart clerics won't be killed. Luckily there are so many dumb ones who neglect their dispel buttons.

Rift Master

The SC is really a great class, and I love it in PvP. The CC is good (although anti-melee focused), the damage is great (single target isn't bad by any means, grab lightning strike from elementalist though), the survivability is good, I can't complain in any way really.

My record at level 34 so far with the bauble is a 1600 lightning strike and 800 cloudburst crit in a single timestamp, which is similar to the damage i was doing with my 36 sab pre 1.1 with a full 5 point detonate with charge booster.

stormcaller's among the hardest of the souls to play effectively, especially in pvp.

so many conditionals, this and that. you have survival tools but they're weird ones.

i would suggest this. don't try to use every single thing the soul has. pick something simple, effective, and that you can set up in as few GCDs as possible. someone suggested forked lighting + lightning field. that's a good start.

where pyromancers are best in their bubble, stormcallers HAVE to stay on the move. using the above combo, you would reposition yourself or break LoS while lighting field spamming. if you get caught you're basically toast.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast