+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [PVE] Help me improve my singletarget dps

Soulwalker

Question [PVE] Help me improve my singletarget dps

I've been playing on my mage a fair bit and while not ready for raiding yet, I'm running some Tier2's with my guild and tier1's we just breeze through now.

It was only until yesterday when we were doing DM and got to Kaleida where we noticed our dps was lacking. I was only outputting 500dps while a warrior was doing nearly 400 in that fight.
    The one random we had with us was saying that other mages and warriors were getting 850-950dps there which really has me concerned now as they did in fact beat him in 2 cycles for the achievement.

On other bosses I usually output between 500 and 800dps, but this is apparently super low, though I'm always on top of damage meters. Note that I'm just talking singletarget damage here on Tier 2 bosses and monsters.

So here's what I have and am using:
    800 spellpower
    500 spellcrit
    150 focus

I'm using a 30 warlock / 36 pyromancer build as such.

My rotation is to first have a Ground of Power and then use my Fireball followed by a Flame Blast, then keep using fireballs and Flame Blasts on Wildfire proccs, On opportunity proccs I tend to use Cinderburst for the added damage.
    My charge I spend on either Smoldering Power or Internalize Charge as I've not found Withering Flames to do more damage.

So my question is; am I really doing poorly or am I on track for my gear? I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

I could supply with more detailed logs and statistics later as I'm currently at work.

Soulwalker

Move 5 points from pyro to archon, that will give you 2% dmg immediately, plus if you keep the stone buff up thats additional int/wis.

Also you should have 5/5 on ignite, I'd probably remove points from flicker, backdraft and smoldering as none of those abilities directly affect your damage output. You can always use sac life if you get low on mana.

I'd also try to remember to work "Countdown" into your rotation.

I'd like some hard stats on Withering Flames as well, it doesn't seem like it does enough damage, plus in order to get it you need that 32nd point in pyro which will cost you .4% dmg when you move the point from Archon.

I haven't used a parser myself, but rumor is that warlock/necro is the highest single target dps.

Shadowlander

I've had much better luck with 32SC/34Ele. I can usually run 700-900 dps single target. If there are adds on a boss the aoe can spike at 800+/target which is usually more than enough to clean them up. The damage is extremely bursty though, which is a good thing in most boss encounters.(pop intensify elements and static discharge)

Soulwalker

I am rather fond of the Pyromancer specc as I enjoy throwing fireballs, but the above suggestion seems to make sense. I've since switched to Ignition 5/5 and put 5 points in archon, this should boost my dps a bit.

Also looking at Countdown it had always seemed useless to me but considering it has no casttime, it seems like a valid point as well, thanks.

I'll give it a go on the new pyro specc later tonight and see how that goes now.

Soulwalker

To update:

I have since done a Fae run where I saw my dps go up to 580'ish on bosses using the extra points in archon. Yet I still feel like I could be doing more.. is it just a limit of my specc/gear or?

If you're set on staying Pyro, you should try out 34pyro/32ele.
    <Disturbance> @Vigil
    Had a dream, I was King; I woke up, still King.
    Wizards never die.

You should really go stormcaller for 5 mans, nothing does better aoe dps, and it does very good single target dps as well.
    Last edited by Lupita; 04-04-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pyralis View Post
    I've had much better luck with 32SC/34Ele. I can usually run 700-900 dps single target. If there are adds on a boss the aoe can spike at 800+/target which is usually more than enough to clean them up. The damage is extremely bursty though, which is a good thing in most boss encounters.(pop intensify elements and static discharge)

Link your build?

Soulwalker

macro:
    cast Inferno
    cast Flame Bolt
    cast Countdown
    cast Fireball
    suppressmacrofailures

mash that, hit cinder burst when Opportunity procs. Use charge on IC, not SP or Withering (sac life for mana, preferably when you have to move anyway). Don't use archon spells unless you need to refresh a buff. If you move 5 points around in warlock for 2 life leech talents (refreshing it on void bolts), casting 1 voidbolt every 12 seconds to refresh LL is better DPCT than fireball. Wildfire offers very little DPS, since the DPCT of flame Bolt isn't jaw-dropping and barely scrapes ahead of fireball. If you can get the +DOT talent in warlock, it's also worth maintaining dark touch (I haven't yet tested but I believe it may also affect the archon fire DOT and countdown).

+ Reply to Thread