+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Confused - dps/warfront gear - pvp gear - crit/spell power etc

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default Confused - dps/warfront gear - pvp gear - crit/spell power etc

    So..am leveling up my pvp..and comparing the gear to t2 5 man gear.

    the epics seem to have less int etc etc....but you get the valor a liil higher hp..

    so basically as a mage my 'pvp gear' is just giving me more effective hp at the expense of doing LESS damage? that makes no sense to me at all but meh

    But as a mage in genearl if i want to stack damage in warfronts, should I be stacking crit at all costs, or spell power or a mixture? like you can buyt he pvp rings 1 has 6 spellpower the other 12 crit...just seems so coutner intuitive. I know maxing crit is good for burst...just surprised i have to choose given that most of the other gear you just have the 1 option ;)

    i prefer to do pyro or sc/lock in wf's if that helps

    but if i go full pvp gear my damage will be gimped?

  2. #2
    Telaran Travatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    81

    Default

    That's generally how PVP gear works. You trade damage for survivability. If PVP gear were to have the same damage potential as raid gear, nobody would bother with raid gear (as seen in WOW Season 1 and 2 gear). Then, without the added survivability, PVP would basically become who can 1-shot who first. Not much fun. So, they increase survivability to increase the fun and strategy of PVP, and reduce damage to make it not as competitive in PVE.

    If you want to stack damage, PVP in your PVE gear, just know you're really becoming a glass cannon that, if you can't kill someone in that quick bust, will likely take a dirt nap.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default

    No your logic is totally and completely flawed and just shows me yet another flawed game and pvp system.

    PVP Gear SHOULD have the same damage as raid gear WITH the valor ALSO on it. else there's no damned point. Yer just trading damage for survivability or vice versa

    People who raid should get RAID gear, and thus..allowing them to RAID more...it's not supposed to be pvp gear, it's raid gear. Why have pvp gear at all theN? They can just put 'more stamina and less int/spell power' on raid gear for those who want 'more survivability at the cost of damage"

    all this means is people will ultimately raid, and they'll use that gear to pvp with. sure they'll be squishier but they'll also pwn face faster....the best defense is a good offense unless the pvp gear mitigates at a much higher rate than the insane dam you going to have from raiding gear

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straun View Post
    No your logic is totally and completely flawed and just shows me yet another flawed game and pvp system.

    PVP Gear SHOULD have the same damage as raid gear WITH the valor ALSO on it. else there's no damned point. Yer just trading damage for survivability or vice versa

    People who raid should get RAID gear, and thus..allowing them to RAID more...it's not supposed to be pvp gear, it's raid gear. Why have pvp gear at all theN? They can just put 'more stamina and less int/spell power' on raid gear for those who want 'more survivability at the cost of damage"

    all this means is people will ultimately raid, and they'll use that gear to pvp with. sure they'll be squishier but they'll also pwn face faster....the best defense is a good offense unless the pvp gear mitigates at a much higher rate than the insane dam you going to have from raiding gear

    You are trolling right? noone is really that jaded about the give and take of one verse the other?

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Why? because I have the foresight to predict exactly where it ends up? "im a phat awesome raider with all my raid gear and now i pwn in pvp over the best pvp geared players' yay

  6. #6
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straun View Post
    Why? because I have the foresight to predict exactly where it ends up? "im a phat awesome raider with all my raid gear and now i pwn in pvp over the best pvp geared players' yay
    You pvp for 2 reasons in this game, for the gear which is really just whatever, and to unlock the PVP soul. To aquire both you need ALOT of time put into PVP. THe gear upgrades in this game are super minimal, you can go into a WarFront with blues and do just as well as someone in epics. You might not 2 hit anyone, but you will still do adequet.

    So it really doesn't matter still, you pvp you get the soul and the gear, the soul can add even more damage and/or survival. the PVE gear.....nothing but minimal damage and lower sta. I'm not crying for the poeple who like to pvp and only pvp. And I'm not going to get upset about someone in PVE gear whooping it up.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple Xenic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    159

    Default

    the concept of pvp gear in every game is you stay alive longer, thus allowing you to do more damage. I can guarantee you that a p6 player will end up doing more damage than a p1 99% of the time if the players and builds were similar simply because the P6 will stay alive longer and get off more attacks in the same amount of time.

    oh and for what it's worth, 37.5 valor = 1% mitigation.... so don't go thinking that because you have pvp2 gear you are now a tank or something ;)
    Hi, I'm Xenic. I came to blow $hit up

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,865

    Default

    What i dont understand is, that there is no dmg counterpart to valor, which also only counts against players not in pve, or do i miss something? So basically pvp ttk is about to rise with each pvp-level people get?

  9. #9
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grevilavec View Post
    You are trolling right? noone is really that jaded about the give and take of one verse the other?
    No, what he is talking about is the same thing with my rogue. I have 50 rogue and 43 mage. In both cases I have chosen in my class role to sacrifice DPS for survivability. The PvP gear is bad for me, because it doesn't help me in my role.

    If I take 5% less damage done, then what am I doing? I am giving everyone else the same effect as 5% mitigation. And 5% mitigation requires hundreds of valor points, but I am giving them up freely if I lower my DPS for survivability.

    Now, if I take 5% more damage, and I come across someone with 5% mitigation, then it's breaking even. But if I take the 5% mitigation myself, then the other side is getting 10% mitigation. Maybe they give up 5% damage, so I get 10% mitigation.

    But when you add in heals and such, then you want that DPS on your targets. Otherwise with the lower DPS they heal and laugh in your face. This happens on my rogue because I don't have enough DPS. More survivability just means I'll live maybe half a second longer, and unable to do my job.

    Plus, I do not expect to be getting hit. I kite for defense, I stun, I CC, I root etc. All that time I'm not getting hit - I'm just giving up 5% damage and gaining nothing.

    I'm not a tank, never going to be a tank, so what is a little extra survivability(only in theory btw) going to do for me? In theory because 5% of 1000 damage is only 50 less dmg. So someone crits you for 1900 instead of 2000. And you want to give up the same damage elsewhere? I don't.

    If I am playing a healer type role, or something like that I might then think about the pvp gear over the pve gear. Because big heals are nice, but 1900 heal is pretty close to 2000 heal, especially when you get into overheals and hots etc. Extra survivability then becomes useful.

    I think of valor on a DPS class as adding extra armor to my cloth. Does anyone here look at the armor stat of their items first when deciding between them? Heck no you don't, you're looking at int, spell power and spell crit.

    PvP gear needs to have 2 sets. 1 with valor, and 1 with +crit or something of that nature, more INT etc.

  10. #10
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Let me put it this way.

    Would you want PvE gear that had +toughness on it? That's exactly what PvP gear with +valor is.

  11. #11
    Sword of Telara Ramea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    802

    Default

    agree... the survivability on the pvp gear is not high enough to justify sacrifiying dps.
    It is still "kill before they kill you".

    GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11, 5/8 ID (HM, no-reflect Rusila). Recruitment is open. We are especially interested in a highly skilled mage!
    http://shoreline-guild.com

  12. #12
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    578

    Default

    If pvp gear had more 'survivability' and the 'same' dps as the PvE raid gear... Why would you get the PvE raid gear?

    And ultimately theres going to be a point where +valor's diminishing returns are so great, that +endurance/armor may-end up a better over-all stat after a certain amount of valor, which could be simply a couple of 'pvp' set pieces...

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    If pvp gear had more 'survivability' and the 'same' dps as the PvE raid gear... Why would you get the PvE raid gear?

    And ultimately theres going to be a point where +valor's diminishing returns are so great, that +endurance/armor may-end up a better over-all stat after a certain amount of valor, which could be simply a couple of 'pvp' set pieces...

    PVE stats hit/focus. Use that as the adjustable stat to pvp gears valor.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts